LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

That's what I was thinking. A mutual friend told me about Giles. Giles and Andy were both from my old job 1998 to 2009. And, that was semiconductor.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I'm on way home from PRI. Another awesome show, and better than SEMA if you are more interested in racing.

99% of the show is American engines. Drag cars, Dirt track, INDY cars....and much to my surprise I'm walking down Machinery Row full of every CNC machine you can imagine and what's setting at the HAAS booth?

I bet 95% of the people walking by had no idea what it is. I had no idea this billet block is being made. Later back at the hotel I googled it and found a thread on NASIOC.

1809244074_PRISubaruBilletBlock1.thumb.jpg.62a6fd9c4b44fc27f3ad76bcfcefce0c.jpg

141852704_PRISubaruBilletBlock2.jpg.d0bcbbf081759905082c8cd7208aaaa9.jpg

2114630649_PRISubaruBilletBlock3.thumb.jpg.ef9a43b48476c36052eaa37ed9b8fdf2.jpg

951433322_PRISubaruBilletBlock4.thumb.jpg.552994f84cbf662e84fc34cb49f8a755.jpg

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

They've come down in price - that's a good thing.

Don't forget the heads too. No sense installing the billet block without the billet heads.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

More PRI images:

The two Flying Lizard 25 Hour cars were at the Toyo Tires booth. Note the Thill25 trophy on the R8 roof.

SuperLite Aero. The best value in racing today. Katech Sealed Dry Sump LS3. Graziano tranny. Comes completed as a turnkey race car for $70K. The performance to cost ratio is unreal.

1404304561_PRiFlyingLizards.thumb.jpg.af40348795f4ad0c3526d0fe282b27bf.jpg

143171873_AeroPRI3.thumb.jpg.831b5584a7a05c68c46acfc70fd4ec00.jpg

1012268884_AeroPRI2.jpg.0e420b5695c4ebebfa67fd26c3fcb41b.jpg

690182080_AeroPRI4.thumb.jpg.b49810ef0fa1faff76e39a4d6bb95f8b.jpg

876049538_AeroPRI1.thumb.jpg.b4335c519c9b1a5eb05d8c0f748c998e.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

I love the fact they left the 25 hour grime on the car!

Yeah it's cool. The LeMans Ford GT did the same at SEMA.

It's great to get up close and examine the car for small details. Like the windshield is still glass, not Lexan, and has tearoffs. There was still one tear off on there, you can see the black triangle "handle" in the pic.

I spent a lot of time looking closely at Splitters, Diffusers, NACA ducting, and Wings. The Time Attack teams are always pushing the envelope on splitters and diffusers. They do things that usually won't work in wheel to wheel racing, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from them.

Note the extension riveted onto the first vane of the hood vent on this car. That's to create the vacuum effect on the other side for all the other louvers.

And note the fencing around the splitters on these time attack cars.

2132345415_PRIHoodVentDetail1sm.thumb.jpg.3d1bfa7006a71c5a64b787cdf74acd6f.jpg

561113648_PRIHoodVentDetail2sm.thumb.jpg.c00d45ba806eee542502c9239ad7a6c3.jpg

1346237188_PRIFenderVentDetail1sm.thumb.jpg.eeb61b8d96122d6ac6b974550552b761.jpg

1980705569_PRITimeAttackSplittersm.thumb.jpg.5441da5e3cf6c2b7162b33ebd2b19e39.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Note the adjustable rear diffuser angle on the Corvette C7.R. Just a simple adjustable end link. I've never seen that on other diffusers but makes great sense for tuning the aero to each track. Assuming you have the engineers and sensors to make that kind of fine tuning work, which obviously Corvette Racing does!

The other diffusers are on time attack cars.

I'll leave it to Boxkita to chime in on what he learned about diffusers at the Thunderhill25.

898881864_PRICorvetteC7RDiffuserdetailsm.thumb.jpg.a56423ae12f62a78b13dad37d5ea4fef.jpg

1102429137_PRITimeAttackDiffuser2sm.thumb.jpg.30d29fb366ef87ed9ca479295bc47085.jpg

962430952_PRITimeAttackDiffuser1sm.thumb.jpg.3098ed8a0ea1c61ba9fb57b06c02a518.jpg

Note the detail on the Corvette Racing C7.R rear wing. They'added a short vertical fence on the trailing edge. This is the kind of thing I would never think would be a good idea when considering rear wing shapes, but no doubt they've done their wind tunnel testing.

This is the kind of detail you'll never see in any of the car magazines, you have to get up close yourself to the car to see them.

If you're wondering why I'm obsessing on this aero stuff it's because in hp/weight ratio classes the only big differentiator left is the car's aero. Downforce and drag are all important.

386786307_PRICorvetteC7RRearWingdetailsm.thumb.jpg.e0420f934c10b3fca184ff60c635c6de.jpg

Note the detail on the Corvette Racing C7.R rear wing. They'added a short vertical fence on the trailing edge. This is the kind of thing I would never think would be a good idea when considering rear wing shapes, but no doubt they've done their wind tunnel testing.

That's a Gurney Flap.

The first application of the flap was in 1971,

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

You had left by the time the driver sorted out the diffuser or lack there of. Net net, it was worth 2 seconds a lap to have the diffuser in place. Losing it radically changed his line, too. Instead of carrying speed thru the corner, he needed more braking.

The lip on the spoiler is a Gurney flap. Pretty much every "tin-top" in conference has one. It's a critical feature.

Note that huge splitter on the Jackson car, especially the fence on the side wrapping around to the fender flare. And how big the washers are holding it in place (alot of downforce there).

In practice one of our drivers decided to remove the front splitter and bumper cover. The car was almost undriveable.

Looking forward to "playing with" aero on the wagon, too.

That's a Gurney Flap.

The first application of the flap was in 1971,

I have APR Gurney flaps for two of my wings. They are not nearly as vertical and sharp as this one is. They are much more "aero" shaped, at about a 45 degree angle from the wing. Probably so APR can charge big $$$ for a composite Gurney flap. I have never attached them, but I guess I will now.

Apparently all you really need is a small piece of aluminum 90 degree angle attached. As you've pointed out, it's so old school it's new again.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Just check the regulations around using a Gurney Flap before going to a race. It may suck to be disqualified for it.

I can't think of any rules about Gurney flaps. If the rules allow aftermarket aero they usually specify height, width, where they can be mounted, and end plate size. I've never seen a rule about wing shape.

No rules in ST about Gurney Flaps. However look for one specific to STI sedans fir the 2018 season :)

Interesting that ST alliws 74 inches as max vehicle width and the rear wing on the wagon can be 8 inches above roofline and 6 inches beyond rear bumper. I'm thinking a custom rear bumper/rear diffuser could allow the rear wing to be in completely free air. And the front splitter could be of the same size shape as a time attack setup. ORP would be fun :)

No rules in ST about Gurney Flaps. However look for one specific to STI sedans fir the 2018 season :)

Interesting that ST alliws 74 inches as max vehicle width and the rear wing on the wagon can be 8 inches above roofline and 6 inches beyond rear bumper. I'm thinking a custom rear bumper/rear diffuser could allow the rear wing to be in completely free air. And the front splitter could be of the same size shape as a time attack setup. ORP would be fun :)

Yep. I wrote that rule well. (I re-wrote it because conference made no provision for wagons/hatchbacks.)

Leave it to you to push the envelope beyond intent. You must have been reading The Unfair Advantage.

Leave it to you to push the envelope beyond intent. You must have been reading The Unfair Advantage.

Makes me think of the fan-equipped F1 car that was used in one race before being banned.

As far as I know the ban was primarily due to the insane amount of dirt it threw up in the air behind the car.

453747.png

Yep. I wrote that rule well. (I re-wrote it because conference made no provision for wagons/hatchbacks.)

ST class rules state "Anything not expressly forbidden or restricted, is allowed"

Thanks for the rule change. I remember the discussion when it came up for vote. No one had considered the existing rules penalized wagons, then again no one knew a wagon would be racing.