LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

I used battery ground strap for my ground wires, like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/super-start/battery---accessories/battery-accessories--universal-/battery-cables---accessories/1c90c4f5bad4/super-start-jumper-cables/ss01/03333?pos=3

scraped the paint to get a good connection.

However if you have the fan fault, you need that fixed first.

still won't start, got like 30psi of fuel pressure.... wtf is going on, its soooo damn random this problem, and the only cels I have are for the maf, I disconnected it, a p0000, and 4 codes for misfire on every cylinder......

I'm gonna go break something!

Think i'm done for the day, going to get a 5 gallon gas container, a coolant temp sensor, and some ground straps from autozone tomorrow morning. Also going to inspect my gas tank to make sure the float is right etc., i'm on a hill, so it might just be empty...

Edited by Tehnation

Is anyone actively doing this ecu cloning? Need to fix my ecu asap, can stealership do this cloning without the car, can I just bring them 2 ecus? Going to also call stealership or stop by tomorrow to see whats up. I can get one off car part for like 50-70 bucks + shipping. If low fuel/fuel pump and grounding aren't the issue, then I'm going to get the ecu fixed.

Ordered this for 40 bucks, if I can get the ecu shipped for under 100, then not bad. Plus a new relay or 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5LPTYM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XW2MD30

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJJNJB3

Going to see if I can try myself.

Edited by Tehnation

the most important piece is the adafruit, 2nd part. 1st part i just need the clip, the clip he had in the walk through is in another country it seems and takes over a month to deliver, the one i picked cost the same and comes with more stuff. All the code is based around that atafruit interface which uses python, which connects to that jumper which is generic. Edited by Tehnation

Last time I tried to find a dealership to clone, two straight up turned me down and one said they could "try", but it would be $350 and no guarantee that it would work. That's why I hunted down the route to DIY clone.

If you have a clamp for a 8-pin IC, then it should work I would think. I could mail you my HW (clap, wires, etc) if it would help timewise.

It would probably cost me 40 bucks or more mailing the stuff back and forth, might as well just buy it for 40, own it and be able to do it the next time. Thank you for offering though!

Post with link to windows 10 instructions and files.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5944473&postcount=15

Edited by Tehnation

So I checked this website https://www.subaruofbend.com/vehicle-recalls.htm

You put in your vin and it tells you if you recalls were done or not. So my car already had it done in February 2007 prior to me purchasing, so I'm out of luck on that route. And if I can get it done for around 150 bucks or less vs 1k, then whatever. So far I spent 50 bucks on the equipment, will call some shops on car-part in the morning, hopefully I can get one shipped to me for 75 bucks. Probably should double check my ecu to confirm the part number as well.

RECALL.png.83cb09c822412b897b4c96b6f1ea5b2b.png

What a bad fix.... change a relay, so it can just blow again. what a lame recall.

Edited by Tehnation

I seem to remember there were two recalls for the fan issue. The first one changed one part, the second recall fixed the issue. Sorry, I don't remember what they actually replaced.

Did a search, found this, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cooling-fan-always-running-143216.html

I can remember being told to make sure I gave them all the key fobs too. So I guess the second recall replaced the ECU.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Connection for the fans are fine, no issues there, its just that the driver side fan always stays on.

So I get in the car and it fires right up...... this has me stumped. Car just starts and runs whenever it wants.

What would cause such random no starts? Yesterday when I left it no start, now after a day it starts. Something is overheating.....

Anyone have any idea what would cause this? Can this engine flood?

and now its not starting again..... when it warms up it stops working. I reset the ecu to get rid of all the codes, it started up, I left the car to go into the garage then it shut off and wont start now.

I really want to torch this car.

if ANYONE has any ideas just let em fly, cause I am just firing off a bunch of stuff and hoping something sticks. Last time I had a problem like this it was the fpr, but I got fuel pressure.

Don't be shy! ANY IDEAS, please reply. I'm serious lol, put on those thinking caps and let me know ANYTHING that comes to mind.

I'm leaning towards fueling now. I hear the pump come on like a champ, pressure is right, doesn't fire.

Someone said something about a coolant sensor, so I have a new duralast sensor from autozone. But I was under the assumption that the sensors would trigger a cel.

What causes our cars not to start but doesn't put out a cel??

Bad gas maybe? tbh that gas is a mix 1 year old and 2 year old gas...... would that cause issues? I figured it would just run like shit. I got between an 1/8th and 1/4 tank of shit gas..... that wouldn't stop it from starting though, would it?

Edited by Tehnation

How does it run when it runs?

Have you pulled the plugs out and had a look at them?

I try to keep up with the thread but where are you at with the battery and alternator?

The bad gas isn't good but it should fire. How much in the tank? Car sitting level?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

new alternator, checked everything with a multimeter, everything looks good, 14.5v volts when running.

If it were the plugs I would get a misfire code somewhere, and they are fairly new. I got them for the last build and they didn't even break 50 miles. Could they have all fowled? Which NGK plugs are the best right now?

So New plugs, some fresh gas, keep it coming guys!

Edited by Tehnation

Runs like it should, but its hard to say cause I keep resetting the ecu and it runs like crap when you do that.

Seems like something is getting hot and then not working and has been getting progressively worse. I could understand one or two spark plugs, coil packs or injectors but all 4? Maybe my ecu is the problem, i already know the fan circuit is damaged so who knows. But last year it ran fine and like a bat out of hell until the tensioner went and I ate a rod bearing.

I have to agree with the ECU thing. You have good fuel pressure and enough spark to get it going. Grounds are good. Battery and charging system are working. Something electrical is failing to give you that inconsistent stall/no start.

So you ordered one?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Going to look for an ecu tomorrow. Didn't get a chance today.

So I go check the car and it starts up, I let it run for a little then it dies and doesn't start again. Something is definitely overheating and malfunctioning.

Going to try some fresh gas tomorrow, maybe spark plugs and if that fails ecu is coming out. Actually ecu is coming out tomorrow, going to move that to priority #1. ECU can't give a code if its shitting the bed I would think??

Edited by Tehnation

I got a lead on some ecus' going to get one today.

But for some reason I don't think its the issue........ When an ecu is borked, doesn't it do the odometer code or just not work period?

I can't get the idea that its a fueling problem out of my head.

So real question guys! What is the fuel pressure when priming?? Mine is pretty random sometimes its low 20's like 20-24psi. And other times its higher. This is before starting the car.....

My pump is coming on but priming pressure is low, and I noticed when it stalled the fuel pressure dropped to low 20's while it was going dead.

But for some reason I don't think its the issue........ When an ecu is borked, doesn't it do the odometer code or just not work period?

So real question guys! What is the fuel pressure when priming?? Mine is pretty random sometimes its low 20's like 20-24psi. And other times its higher. This is before starting the car.....

My pump is coming on but priming pressure is low, and I noticed when it stalled the fuel pressure dropped to low 20's while it was going dead.

ECUs are notorious for partial failure or related to heat (cold start is good, then fails later).

I'll check on the fuel pressure in a bit for you when I go out and work on the car.

Edit: I checked, looks like 35psi for primed before starting and 42psi at idle.

When my fuel pump died in AZ, the fuel pressure would just keep declining as it heated up, once it dropped below 20psi it would really struggle to run.

Edited by Infosecdad

Do you have a BtSsm? You might be able to isolate the issue if you can look at some logs.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread