LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

OK! So i was talking with a mechanic friend of mine, and he's like test the pump, just disconnect the line and see what happens, and I'm like YEAAA good idea before I start pulling the pump apart etc.

So I started the car today for the 1st time like usual fired right up from like 22-23psi of pressure on the line. I let it run until it dies, then I release the pressure in the system, prime it again and it goes back to the 22-23 psi, but doesn't start. So I disconnect the line again put it in a bottle prime it and it just does one prime, basically it squirted out like an 1/8 or so liter of fuel then just stops.

Now my question is why doesn't the pump keep priming? It just does one single push and then no more pressure is in the line after that. Isn't the pump supposed to keep priming? Or is it supposed to do the one push?

If its supposed to keep constant pressure while priming then I found my answer! My fuel pump is not pressurizing the line past the one prime it does and then just does nothing after that one gush.

Is that the way its supposed to operate?

Someone PLEASE tell me this is a fuel pump issue or something is going on in the tank. At least I have narrowed down the problems. I don't want to add fuel until I get a better idea of whats going on.

Edited by Tehnation

So I need to test/inspect the fuel pump and fuel pump control module. I think I need to start looking at duty cycles or other fueling stats with the accessport.

I gotta figure out how to test the fpcm and pump....

What's the background on your fuel pump?

When mine was overheating and losing pressure, I just replaced it.

Because by the time I tore into everything, I didn't care if it was just the o-ring, I didn't want to go back any time soon. So new o-rings and new pump.

so it seems lol.

Tuner said it should be 43 psi base pressure thats with the regulator vacuum line disconnected. 22-24 is way to low. I think I don't have enough pressure.... gotta check those o rings! I'm pretty sure I used 2... hmmm maybe not....

Let the gambling begin! Place your bets whether I have 1 or 2 o rings installed! :lol:

Oh god, now I know why I have been trying to avoid messing with the pump. Got it out and have been fiddling with this thing for about an hour trying to get the pump out of the housing..... is there tool? I'm done with this nonsense design. Its beer thirty! Edited by Tehnation

Oh god, now I know why I have been trying to avoid messing with the pump. Got it out and have been fiddling with this thing for about an hour trying to get the pump out of the housing..... is there tool? I'm done with this nonsense design. Its beer thirty!

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/51839019/315400+-+COBB+TUNING+HIGH+FLOW+FUEL+PUMP

That should help you with getting it out and back in again.

I was just stuck on the stupid clips, learned that two small flat heads works the best and easiest, the smaller the better.

I think I found the problem. Not even gonna risk it, going to put in the new one, and send the other back to aem cause it should be in warranty.

20211103_174323.thumb.jpg.96f09fd14921e2b836c5702c43bdef31.jpg

20211103_174344.thumb.jpg.720a86c6d8f1b081e7c87795c304b5b1.jpg

20211103_174254.thumb.jpg.d0da9d0a737b39070b2aef714e4ea730.jpg

I've found that you have to be very delicate when installing the pump in the housing or the o-rings break upon install.

Who knows, that could have been the reason for previous engine issues.

It was fine last year, sat for a year, worked fine this year for 20 miles then failed miserably. I've been through a bunch of pumps prior, Walbro, DW and the AEM, haven't had any issues with install, so I don't think that was the issue. It blew out right at the seam.

The previous issue was just the tune, as soon as I got the accessport, the tuner was able to give me a nice base tune for the stage 3 cams, and the car ran great until the tensioner went. They said they couldn't tune using opensource with my cams, which is why I bought the accessport.

Whats funny is I have never used 2 o rings prior to the AEM pump, and never had an o ring failure. For all the other pumps I only used one. The pump doesn't go in flush, the plastic piece it goes into has 4 nubs which is another spacer for the head of pump. So if you subtract that height + the height of the spacer from the height of the pump head shaft, we should be able to determine whether 1 or 2 washers should be used. 2 o rings might be putting to much tension/compression on the system causing them to stretch/deform out of spec. Example, if you have 3 mm of space, and a 2 mm O ring, rather than just leave the 1mm of space, we are putting 4 mm worth of O ring, if that makes sense. That O ring in my opinion is supposed to act as a simple seal and is not meant to be compressed. Just a thought, I emailed tuner to ask how many o rings they use.

Conclusion, I think the flaw in that pump design is the spacer.

Edited by Tehnation

And the pump didnt fix the problem...... same thing, the saga continues. I'm going to look at the fpr and fpcm next. First I'm going to try one o ring, I primed it 1st time and it was at 30 psi, stalled and wouldn't start, then primed back to the 22 psi like before. Edited by Tehnation