LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

I remember this from the early days I believe. Its not that the fsm way is bad, rather it's just better to smear it evenly around the entire lip of the pan if I recall correctly. See how the sealant didn't work its way to some of the bolt holes, which I am assuming is where it was leaking. It was literally pouring out the oil pan when I topped off my oil. 

Found all this sealant crap in my oil pickup..... i'm just done with it lol. Now I gotta clean all this crap off my oil pan, which I am not looking forward to. 

Here is what the FSM tells us to do. As you can see, we're supposed to have sealant all along the mating surface of the pan. It looks like sealant was missing at some locations of your pan's mating surface.

Screenshot_20230124-103548.png

Edited by xt2005bonbon

lets try it again. using the sealant the right way this time ..... 😒

Now I can't get my header back on.... its so easy when the motor is upside down, but from the bottom its a pita, cause I gotta pull it apart a mm or 2 to get it to go on both sets of studs at the same time.... 

Guess I will wait until it dries, then add oil to see if there are any leaks before I put this header back on. The me of tomorrow will worry about getting the header back on LOL! 

Oh yea, easiest way to get the sealant off of the pan is to just smack it with a wire wheel, I was scrapping for a while, then hit it with my wire wheel and it was all clean in less than 5 minutes. 

So I did it RIGHT this time! Looks like no leaks, and on another note, make sure u have oil and oil filters before you pull your car apart drain the oil and toss the filter lol. I'm like whoops, guess its time to use my jug of Rotella T6 that I have been saving for after break in and I was able to find an extra oil filter I had stock piled somewhere. My car seems to like the T6!

So I decided to try the sealant again because I realized that the oil in the pan seems to go to the top of the pan, maybe not when level but my car parks on a incline, which seems to make the oil raise pretty high in the back. I think when I used the gasket it would slowly seep through. There are different materials for gaskets for this motor, I have been using the cheap shitty paper like ones recently which I didn't like cause I think it was seeping through, but the 1st time I used a gasket it was made of a more rubber like material which sealed great and got me hooked on using them, but I have no idea where I got it or what brand it was. So if you do go the gasket route on this car use the gasket that has some kind of silicone or rubber. I have tried a cork one as well I believe but hard to remember the results, but I think it was better than the paper style. I literally pull the motor like an average of 3-4 times a year at this point, so I go through a lot of stuff, I got like 4 5 gallon buckets filled with oil that I should get rid of at some point..... 

I just did another check, and it seems this oil temp sensor setup I have might also be leaking some oil. The oil pan his this basket on the inside around the bung, and my adapter oil plug with the thread through the center for a sensor doesn't have enough room. I think my oil temp sensor is hitting the basket inside the oil pan and not letting it seal properly cause it can't go in all the way. Or maybe I should use more plumbers tape to try and make a better seal. Shoulda cut that basket off or drilled a hole in it when I had the oil pan out..... 

This is a problem for future me, I am not going to throw away this expensive oil I just put in, will wait until its oil change time to deal with it. 

For reference, I am using something like this, not sure of the inside thread but its for whatever my oil temp sensor is. 

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oem-to-1-8npt-oil-temperature-sensor-adapter.html.html

I didn't know it was so much cheaper online. If you go to any auto parts store your easily paying 35-40 bucks for a gallon, I paid 80 for a 2.5 gallon jug I believe from autozone. 25 bucks free shipping is a no brainer lol.