LegacyGT.com

BMB's Motor Pulling Thread with MAX Boxkitty Drama

• Moderators
Did you take any pics of the faulty hh alignment issues while mounted? I would be interested in seeing what was going on.

Not while mounting. Hard to mount headers and take a pic at the same time. I matched up my old headers and also a set of stock headers against the flanges and took some pics tho. I'll try to get em posted up to show the issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Did you take any pics of the faulty hh alignment issues while mounted? I would be interested in seeing what was going on.

Here you go. Pretty simple really, it seems that one of the sets of runners was bent somehow. I the pics, I have lined up one set of flanges with all three stud holes aligned, and then I show a pic or pics of how the other side looks.

For the stock manifold comparison I loosely installed a few bolts to connect the headers together. Pics show similar "distortion" between killerb and both the invidia and stock headers. And the invidia and stock headers both slide on the actual motor easily.

***hold tight, photobucket is down for maintenance :spin:

Permatex The Right Stuff either grey or black.

I'll never use Permatex Ultra Black again.

With the Right Stuff you do have to move faster though, it sets up in 5-10 minutes. It's equivalent to Hondabond and Fujibond.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• Moderators
Permatex The Right Stuff either grey or black.

I'll never use Permatex Ultra Black again.

With the Right Stuff you do have to move faster though, it sets up in 5-10 minutes. It's equivalent to Hondabond and Fujibond.

Thanks Gator. Why won't you use ultra black ever again--just the timeline of the right stuff that makes it the winner?

• Moderators
Nope. I'll snap some pics though. Tonight is "clean up the garage bay" night. I moved the OBXT out front to make some space and so I can put my daily inside for upcoming snow. Daily is much smaller than the Outback though, so should still have some extra space to work.

Thanks Gator. Why won't you use ultra black ever again--just the timeline of the right stuff that makes it the winner?

In my last 5 oil pan changes I've had two leaks with Ultra Black. On searching the Corvette Forum I found a bunch of people that say the Ultra Black is 30 year old Silicon RTV technology, the Right Stuff/Hondabond/Fujibond/Three Bond is newer technology, an entirely different formula. Everyone there swears by it now.

But you can't waste time looking for a socket and the right extensions once you put it on, you have to have everything planned and move fast.

There's a reason Subaru uses the Three Bond -Fujibond and not the more time forgiving silicon rtv.

I just found this 2008 Subaru Service Bulletin that lists 3M UltraPro as an alternative to almost all the uses, scroll to the last page: http://blog.chiltondiy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2804.2008.Subaru.fluids.TSB_.update.pdf

The 3M has a 5-10 minute work time too. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-08672-Ultrapro-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B000XBFE7U]http://www.amazon.com/3M-08672-Ultrapro-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B000XBFE7U[/ame]

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Nope. I'll snap some pics though. Tonight is "clean up the garage bay" night. I moved the OBXT out front to make some space and so I can put my daily inside for upcoming snow. Daily is much smaller than the Outback though, so should still have some extra space to work.

Pictures or it didn't happen :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Nice work! Obligatory Kitteh-powered LGT shot?

I haz no cats...?

Pulled my cam sensor just now to take a look at it. It's had a slight leak around it, resulting in oil/dirt/gunk accumulating on the top of the block a bit. A new sensor is about $75, would rather just replace the o-ring that's there. It's hardly an o-ring anymore, more like hard plastic.

But this sees oil so a normal o-ring probably won't work right? Do I need special orings for oil, do those have a name?

Or am I stuck buying a new sensor?

577BC624-6853-40B7-95EB-9D88CA915749_zpsmqfkalge.thumb.jpg.e84bfb6526c43bfa2219d48349d08c1b.jpg

I haz no cats...?

Pulled my cam sensor just now to take a look at it. It's had a slight leak around it, resulting in oil/dirt/gunk accumulating on the top of the block a bit. A new sensor is about $75, would rather just replace the o-ring that's there. It's hardly an o-ring anymore, more like hard plastic.

But this sees oil so a normal o-ring probably won't work right? Do I need special orings for oil, do those have a name?

Or am I stuck buying a new sensor?

I don't remember the cam sensors costing $75 but replaced both after a fault the Ex had heading over the grapevine a few years back.

Having a hell of a time finding a new crank sensor on the Heuberger Motors site.

• Moderators
I don't remember the crank sensors costing $75 but replaced both after a fault the Ex had heading over the grapevine a few years back.

Having a hell of a time finding a new crank sensor on the Heuberger Motors site.

Why do people keep calling this a "crank" sensor? It sits directly over the cams, NOT the crank. Is it a crank or a cam sensor? Maybe I have the wrong part number?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why do people keep calling this a "crank" sensor? It sits directly over the cams, NOT the crank. Is it a crank or a cam sensor? Maybe I have the wrong part number?

Then it is a cam sensor. There should be two cam sensors (one on each side of the engine) and one crank sensor sitting above the front/middle of the engine.

No No... That's a cam sensor. Only reason I'm mentioning Crank sensor is mine is getting replaced after 160K. After having one go out on the oldest boy (not a car savy kid) it's apparent to me that these items don't last forever. When they go bad it's at the wrong time.

Just noticed I did call it a crank sensor. :/ Corrected that.

Then it is a cam sensor. There should be two cam sensors (one on each side of the engine) and one crank sensor sitting above the front/middle of the engine.

For crankshaft position sensor location, see FSM on FU(H4DOTC)-23

For camshaft position sensor location, see FSM on FU(H4DOTC)-24

(pages 1634-1635).

I believe the cam sensors are above the cams at the rear of the engine.

Archived