LegacyGT.com

BMB's Motor Pulling Thread with MAX Boxkitty Drama

• Moderators
So I think everything is disconnected...except the heater core hoses, I think I missed those. Trans / motor look to be coming apart a tiny bit on there own, which should be enough to work with. Hopefully removal goes fairly smoothly tomorrow because it's friggin cold and I'm going to need to roll the car back out of the garage a bit in order to have enough room to roll the crane around.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Just replace them, don't bother upgrading unless you hate having money.

Roger that.

I guess I also need to grab some RTV black or Fujibond. Is there a preference between the two or does it matter?

• Moderators
I've always used Fujibond gray for all the Subaru engines I've built, but only because it's what I started with and never had a problem.

Wow, never knew Fujibond was so expensive :confused:

I'm looking at possibly using "The Right Stuff." Heard good things about it in the past and it seems easy to apply. Price is cheaper as well.

extravaganza

[ik-strav-uh-gan-zuh] /ɪkˌstræv əˈgæn zə/

noun

1. a musical or dramatic composition or production, as comic opera or musical comedy, marked by a loose structure, a frivolous theme, and elaborate costuming and staging.

2. any lavish or opulent show, event, assemblage, etc.:

an extravaganza of new housewares on the twelfth floor.

Seems legit. Is the barman going to be doing any hilariously sexy dancing on the bar?

Wow, never knew Fujibond was so expensive :confused:

I'm looking at possibly using "The Right Stuff." Heard good things about it in the past and it seems easy to apply. Price is cheaper as well.

Depends where you buy it I guess; plus amortize it over 6-8 engines.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I've used it in other applications and it is easy to work with and never failed me either.

• Moderators
extravaganza

[ik-strav-uh-gan-zuh] /ɪkˌstræv əˈgæn zə/

noun

1. a musical or dramatic composition or production, as comic opera or musical comedy, marked by a loose structure, a frivolous theme, and elaborate costuming and staging.

2. any lavish or opulent show, event, assemblage, etc.:

an extravaganza of new housewares on the twelfth floor.

Seems legit. Is the barman going to be doing any hilariously sexy dancing on the bar?

Happy now???

Permatex Ultra Black RTV is what I used. Holding up just fine. Also I just used the Beck/Arnley half moons. Part no.039-6552, they are identical and made in the same factory to the Subaru ones. Working fine for me so far.

I would imagine that Fujibond is very similar to Hondabond. With that said, with all the years of messing with Hondas, I never spent the money on Hondabond as Permatex Ultra Grey works very well.

It (Permatex Ultra Grey) will tolerate surfaces that are not perfectly clean which can be a bonus in some cases.

• Moderators

Motor is out! Only glitch really was that it seems that the clutch fork fell back down a bit and caught the TOB on the way out. Not really enough to prevent the motor from separating, but enough that the TOB seems to spin a bit off center now and seems loose. Is that normal with a 6mt setup? I didn't install it going in, so I'm not entirely sure.

I planned to possibly replace the TOB anyway while the motor is out, so not to bent up about it. Popped the clutch off also and it looks great along with the flywheel. Both will go back in the car without me worrying about those parts at all.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/OBXT/D1E7F3EB-620A-43DF-93C0-123A6154BC00_zpsw11g7qrm.jpg

• Moderators
I hope you marked the clutch assembly so you can install it in the same position.

Check the clutch fork for cracks ?

Nope, I did not. Please advise?

Clutch fork seems fine. Hell, the TOB could be fine also. It just looks like the fork maybe slipped down a bit and/or the engine came out a bit crooked and one of those caught the TOB. Not having really seen how the part was when it went in, I can't honestly be sure that anything is wrong with it.

OEM clutch comes with a mark on the clutch cover that should be installed 120 degrees off from mark on FW. Sometimes the marks are missing or hidden by dust so it helps to mark the clutch cover to the FW with a white paint marker or similar. Aftermarket clutches do not have such balance/alignment marks, and should usually be balanced by a machine shop anyways (usually while getting the FW resurfaced for a new kit). I have seen some reputable aftermarket clutches as much as 40g out of balance (1g or less is the target for street performance car).

Archived