LegacyGT.com

BMB's Motor Pulling Thread with MAX Boxkitty Drama

• Moderators
OEM clutch comes with a mark on the clutch cover that should be installed 120 degrees off from mark on FW. Sometimes the marks are missing or hidden by dust so it helps to mark the clutch cover to the FW with a white paint marker or similar. Aftermarket clutches do not have such balance/alignment marks, and should usually be balanced by a machine shop anyways (usually while getting the FW resurfaced for a new kit). I have seen some reputable aftermarket clutches as much as 40g out of balance (1g or less is the target for street performance car).

OEM clutch here.

So...hope and pray that I can find the marks on both the pressure plate and the flywheel? Otherwise...I'm buying a new clutch? :spin:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OEM clutch comes with a mark on the clutch cover that should be installed 120 degrees off from mark on FW. Sometimes the marks are missing or hidden by dust so it helps to mark the clutch cover to the FW with a white paint marker or similar. Aftermarket clutches do not have such balance/alignment marks, and should usually be balanced by a machine shop anyways (usually while getting the FW resurfaced for a new kit). I have seen some reputable aftermarket clutches as much as 40g out of balance (1g or less is the target for street performance car).

Oops. how do you recover from that mistake? And more machine shop work? Ugh

• Moderators
Otherwise you can try and guess by matching any corrosion/dust and make a mark, or just get the kit balanced if you are really worried about it.

Roger that. I'll take a look tonight and see what I can figure out.

Don't you bring that shit in here! :lol:

I hope you marked the clutch assembly so you can install it in the same position.

Nope, I did not. Please advise?

Don't you bring that shit in here! :lol:

And what? You thought you would magically escape drama on your first teardown? Sure glad you're not following my path, cause I'm learning alot. :wub:

I was thinking...

Since you'll change the valve cover gaskets, you might as well check the valve clearances. It'll take you 15mn for both sides. Just make sure you have a good quality feeler gauge.

Also, how many miles do you have on this engine?

• Moderators
I was thinking...

Since you'll change the valve cover gaskets, you might as well check the valve clearances. It'll take you 15mn for both sides. Just make sure you have a good quality feeler gauge.

Also, how many miles do you have on this engine?

88k miles. I'm hoping to perform a compression test while the motor is on the stand. Will need to rig the starter back up and the battery, and the engine will obviously be cold, but should give some confirmation that everything is as it should be.

I expect no issues though. The car has been running great for my entire ownership.

I see. Although if a valve has tight clearance, it may not show up in the compression/leakdown results on a cold engine. Usually, it shows up on the leakdown result on a warm engine.

This happened to me: I did a leakdown test cold and had 2.5% leak on #2, which is a very good result. And yet, I was having roughness when warmed up. And yep, one exhaust valve had no clearance at all.

I would still vote to just check them. It's very easy once the VC are off.

I'm sure I can check 'em. Good excuse to pick up some feeling gauges ;)

Do yourself a favor and buy metric guages. the conversion from sae to metric to sae is enough to ruin the heads.

Test them all and post? Everyone waits until the tb is off to do this. The numbers are different with/without tb.

Everyone waits until the tb is off to do this. The numbers are different with/without tb.

Actually I think it is wiser to do it with the TB on as it puts some pressure/tension to the cams and slightly affects clearances on the valves closest to the TB. If you recall in my thread, I did the measurements with and without the TB and did see some differences.

The FSM describes how to measure the clearances with the TB on [see ME(H4DOTC)-26].

Actually I think it is wiser to do it with the TB on as it puts some pressure/tension to the cams and slightly affects clearances on the valves closest to the TB. If you recall in my thread, I did the measurements with and without the TB and did see some differences.

The FSM describes how to measure the clearances with the TB on [see ME(H4DOTC)-26].

Hence my request / suggestion to do it before taking off tb. A lesson i learned too late

• Moderators
I'll go ahead and make plugs / VCGs a top priority. Will check compression and valve clearances when the VCs are off. I may loosely bolt the VCs back in place and then change the timing, and recheck. I see no reason why clearances would change with a new timing belt, but we can see in the name of science / stupidity.

Hence my request / suggestion to do it before taking off tb. A lesson i learned too late

I misunderstood your post then. sorry about that.

I see no reason why clearances would change with a new timing belt, but we can see in the name of science / stupidity.

You will see for yourself then :). But really,as I said may only affect the cylinders closest to the timing belt (i.e. #1 and #2). Note though that I've only checked #2 and #4 with belt on and off, and saw noticeable difference only #2 really. See below.

Here are the clearance measurements with the timing belt on vs. off. I only posted measurements for cylinder 2 since it was the only that had different clearances.

So from what I understand, once I install the new buckets, the clearance should be larger than expected for cylinder 2 with the timing belt off. But once I put it on, the clearance should be fine. We shall see.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211748&d=1435630541

I didn't say difference between timing belt on / off. I said I'll check for differences between old timing belt and new.

Humor me...some more.

Check all of them before you take off the belt, then again when its off and finally when its back on. And post results.

The manaul only has values for 2 valves and only with tb in place. trying to set clearance with an unloaded system is mostly black art. As even factory has to do a final check manually ( subie plant worker posted process in my drama thread)

• Moderators
Humor me...some more.

Check all of them before you take off the belt, then again when its off and finally when its back on. And post results.

The manaul only has values for 2 valves and only with tb in place. trying to set clearance with an unloaded system is mostly black art. As even factory has to do a final check manually ( subie plant worker posted process in my drama thread)

Ok, will do my best.

• Moderators
Also ordered spark plugs and a feeler gauge set. Nothing else tonight. I'm feeling fairly accomplished just getting the motor out. I think the weekend will be time to pull out all of the parts, gaskets, etc that I have lying around, make an assessment of what else needs to be procured, and come up with a game plan / sequence of events. Don't want to miss anything along the way...

• Moderators
I'm talking to MrTris trying to find a cheap flite for him to your place. Not all my drama was of my own doing. You'll need some help getting those pesky FU bolts off. he's really helpful at turning them the correct direction.

Those bolts were the straw that broke the camel's back on me pulling the motor. If I had stripped one of em I would have muttered to myself that I should have just pulled the motor. I'll video me breaking all four of them loose with an impact in under a minute. You be jelly ;)

Also, Tris can fly here but he's not coming in my garage :lol:

Archived