LegacyGT.com

BMB's Motor Pulling Thread with MAX Boxkitty Drama

Out of all 3 cars (OBXT, OBS, Honda Odyssey) I think I'd take the Odyssey for safety / roadworthiness. All 3 have snow tires, but the Hakka's on the Odyssey are just ridiculous (and also total overkill for the area, I won't replace them with the same--but they are seriously awesome when we actually get snow).

So have you enough snow to drive the Odyssey? Or are you waiting for more?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
BMB, I am guessing no update because waiting for parts? But I am sure you have done your valve lash measurements. So, how are they?

Yup, large heuberger order is on the way.

I haven't done valve lash measurements yet. The snow storm, LASIK surgery, and general crap have kept me out of the garage for a bit.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
I see. Just googled LASIK surgery. Did not know what it was. Hopefully, you feel OK.

Thanks, doing pretty well. Amazing procedure, especially if you've been basically blind for a good portion of your life!

Out of all 3 cars (OBXT, OBS, Honda Odyssey) I think I'd take the Odyssey for safety / roadworthiness. All 3 have snow tires, but the Hakka's on the Odyssey are just ridiculous (and also total overkill for the area, I won't replace them with the same--but they are seriously awesome when we actually get snow).

Totally overkill seems like a good option to protect Wife + kids.

Anything fun from Hueberger? (STI steering rack?) or just general maintenance items?

• Moderators
Totally overkill seems like a good option to protect Wife + kids.

Anything fun from Hueberger? (STI steering rack?) or just general maintenance items?

Yup. For whatever reason the stock tires on the van are horrible in the snow. The snows will be replaced with other winter tires, just not another set of hakkas. Possibly a set of nokian WRG3's or whatever they are when that time comes around.

Pretty much just maintenance stuff from heuberger.

Do not buy WR G3's I have them and will not buy them again. They have no road feel. The steering is surprisingly easy. I took off Pole Positions and put the WR G3's on, just rolling down the driveway, it was like, why is the steering so easy.

I have pushed them through a 2nd gear right hand turn onto an on ramp, the it little boost, the car pushed more then it ever did before.

Only had them in a few inches of snow, they were good there. But the trade off is not worth the price of these tires. The only plus is they are a 60,000 mile tire...not sure I'll keep them that long.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Do not buy WR G3's I have them and will not buy them again. They have no road feel. The steering is surprisingly easy. I took off Pole Positions and put the WR G3's on, just rolling down the driveway, it was like, why is the steering so easy.

I have pushed them through a 2nd gear right hand turn onto an on ramp, the it little boost, the car pushed more then it ever did before.

Only had them in a few inches of snow, they were good there. But the trade off is not worth the price of these tires. The only plus is they are a 60,000 mile tire...not sure I'll keep them that long.

Fair enough. You do know I'm talking about putting them on a minivan though right? :lol:

Fair enough. You do know I'm talking about putting them on a minivan though right? :lol:

No I did not....But I still would look other where :) for a better tire. The WR G3 dose not in still confidence.

I think Toyo has a new tire that will complete with the WR G3. I think its the https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=toyo%20celsius&oq=toyo%20c&aqs=chrome.2.0l3j69i57j0l2.8406j0j8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
No I did not....But I still would look other where :) for a better tire. The WR G3 dose not in still confidence.

I think Toyo has a new tire that will complete with the WR G3. I think its the https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=toyo%20celsius&oq=toyo%20c&aqs=chrome.2.0l3j69i57j0l2.8406j0j8

Yeah, regardless I trust your opinion. Will look at other options when the time comes.

• Moderators

Valve clearances measured...drumroll...

Targets are between .14mm and .24mm for intake; between .30mm and .40mm for exhaust.

Intake: .18mm<X<.20mm

Exhaust: .33mm<X<.35mm

Exhaust: .25mm<X<.28mm [**.28mm barely fits]

Exhaust: .35mm<X<.38mm

Exhaust: .28mm<X<.33mm

So all of the intake clearances are great, basically all at approximately .19mm.

Exhaust clearances for #1 and #3 are pretty good. #4 might be a touch tight, #2 is definitely a bit tight.

So do I swap some exhaust buckets for #2/#4???

• Moderators
Is this with the TB installed?

Yes.

You can't just swap the #2 and #4 exhaust buckets - you need to measure them and get the corresponding size to bring the clearance in spec. The clearance is a stack-up of seat depth, stem length, lobe base circle diameter, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean swap with what I have. I'll have to do some math and figure out what buckets are needed.

IIRC, over time the clearances get tighter correct? So I should aim for the loose side of "in spec"?

You can't just swap the #2 and #4 exhaust buckets - you need to measure them and get the corresponding size to bring the clearance in spec. The clearance is a stack-up of seat depth, stem length, lobe base circle diameter, etc.

Is there a good YouTube video that shows how to do this?

Valve clearances measured...drumroll...

Targets are between .14mm and .24mm for intake; between .30mm and .40mm for exhaust.

Exhaust: .33mm<X<.35mm

Exhaust: .25mm<X<.28mm [**.28mm barely fits]

Exhaust: .35mm<X<.38mm

Exhaust: .28mm<X<.33mm

So all of the intake clearances are great, basically all at approximately .19mm.

Exhaust clearances for #1 and #3 are pretty good. #4 might be a touch tight, #2 is definitely a bit tight.

So do I swap some exhaust buckets for #2/#4???

Not too bad. One of my exhaust valves on #2 had 0.04mm clearance :eek:.

But yeah, I would adjust #2 and #4 now so you don't have to do it for a while. As others have mentioned, I also set my clearances on the looser side (e.g. ~37-38mm for the exhaust side).

Let me know what size buckets you need. I have ~16 or so buckets in my garage. If you don't mind having used buckets (~50k miles on them), I can sell them to ya for a good deal, assuming I have the right ones of course. I believe they are around 20 bucks new a piece from Heuberger.

Do the buckets themselves wear over time? i.e. would #xxx bucket measure differently after 50k miles?

Yes they wear. They can even wear out and cause a fail. Not something to worry about until you are rebuilding the heads. Cobb told me they replace all the buckets now after they had an epic fail on a newly rebuilt engine reusing the old buckets.

However if you measure them and they are close to what's printed on them I'm sure you're ok. The Cobb fail was probably a one in 10,000 event. I only replaced the ones that caused the valves to be out of spec on my two rebuilds.

See: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348336

http://i11.tinypic.com/535hr3n.jpg

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Had a bit of time today. Remeasured valve clearances just to be sure, then started disassembling timing stuff. I had the Company 23 tool installed to lock the driver's side sprockets, but apparently it wasn't tight enough and when the belt was removed the intake sprocket snapped around counter clockwise. It seems to make quite a noise when it stopped.

So, am I pretty much boned now and did I basically just bend several valves?

I had the same thing happen when I did my 105k service. I've had a compression/leakdown/blackstone analysis since and have 0 problems whatsoever. To this day I still have no clue what that noise was, but I don't think it's indicative of something breaking...or maybe I got super lucky

Archived