LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

From a retail perspective their customer service is terrible, theres no excuse for it.

They have only so many designs and I cant see how a custom design would be forgotten. They're intentionally putting us off because they are trying to figure out how to fix it without losing money. Best case scenario for them is that we just drop it. (unlikely) Like Nossy said, their sob stories should be falling on dead ears because its about time they do something here.

They got more than 15 grand in business from us, they should be able to invest some of that in time immediately. We're not talking about cars from the 50's rare, most of the cars produced are still on the road. If they just kept the conversation here we couldve found a way to get them what they need rather than replying to certain individuals at random times with various degrees of vague commitments.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From a retail perspective their customer service is terrible, theres no excuse for it.

They have only so many designs and I cant see how a custom design would be forgotten. They're intentionally putting us off because they are trying to figure out how to fix it without losing money. Best case scenario for them is that we just drop it. (unlikely) Like Nossy said, their sob stories should be falling on dead ears because its about time they do something here.

They got more than 15 grand in business from us, they should be able to invest some of that in time immediately. We're not talking about cars from the 50's rare, most of the cars produced are still on the road. If they just kept the conversation here we couldve found a way to get them what they need rather than replying to certain individuals at random times with various degrees of vague commitments.

Alright show of hands who contacted nameless directly after install with an over boost issue and kept them informed of their ongoing problem?

I'm not on any side here, but most of the complaining has been on this thread from people who haven't even installed the part, for all we know it could be a slight inconsistency in build and in wastegate flow. Until more people step up and install we don't have much data to pull conclusions from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah I gotta agree with this. I think they're making this way more complicated than it needs to be because they are trying to buy time so they can save face and save money. The downpipe does look nice and all but idk about you guys, I cant afford to have a 700$ car part sitting in my garage to just look at.

Alright show of hands who contacted nameless directly after install with an over boost issue and kept them informed of their ongoing problem?

I'm not on any side here, but most of the complaining has been on this thread from people who haven't even installed the part, for all we know it could be a slight inconsistency in build and in wastegate flow. Until more people step up and install we don't have much data to pull conclusions from.

Two things about this

1 - people have installed it and have had issues. I own a 35K car, Im not going to "step up" to put a defective item on my car just to prove it doesnt work and end up with some kind of mechanical issue they arent going to cover

2 - they've already mentioned they dont want to be inundated with emails and want to work with an individual

bottom line for me is that if they are invested in their customers they would have done more by now.

I installed it and it works, so...

Nowhere did they say they don't want to hear from you, they want people to be respectful. Which if you want to get to a place where you are both happy with the outcome, we all should be.

If you really want to split hairs the worst that happens if you install it and have an issue with over boost is you drive like a normal person until it's resolved or a plan of action is confirmed.

I installed it and it works, so...

Nowhere did they say they don't want to hear from you, they want people to be respectful. Which if you want to get to a place where you are both happy with the outcome, we all should be.

Not trying to but into this argument or give anyone life lessons in morals. But from my experience you've gotta give people respect if you expect them reciprocate that respect. And I gotta say nameless hasn't been very respectful at all throughout this whole fiasco, quite the opposite actually.

I dont need to argue this with you because it worked for you. You can have your cookie if you'd like, but one big difference is you are in a warmer climate where those in colder (boost loving) climates have issues.

Im not comfortable just trying it out on my daily driver. This was advertised by them as a well designed product and others have had major boost issues. I think by allowing them all this time (over A YEAR at this point) we have been very respectful and this thread is a great place for us to vent to each other without attacking the vendor who is the only one who can help us at this point without everyone becoming guinea pigs. it would make it a lot easier to put this piece on knowing that they've done something other than to say we need to rotate it. I dont have a lift or a garage nor the money to have people put it on, tune it, lift it again, rotate it, tune it again, lift it again, etc... to see what works and what doesnt....but they do.

Once I get my other daily driver up and running then I'd be willing to do things like that but I don't have that luxury. Its their business, its what they do, it should be easy for them to spare some time.

/rant

I'm $1300 into it because I bought one of their original designs and I had to jump on it when it became available, because there are only 3 in existence. I did this because they are dragging their feet and I have NO confidence that they will vet this issue at all. They have been aware of this issue for well over 9 months now and their customers shouldn't have to do the research as to why their revised (read: cost saving) version doesn't perform like the original.

Just PM'ed Nameless, and also sent them an email. SBT has been BCC'd.

Guys,

Please refer to this thread. The original Group Buy thread is linked at the beginning.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nameless-downpipe-official-5th-gen-gt-install-thread-247036.html

I think it would be beneficial to all involved if you would be so kind as to please have one of the owners of Nameless Performance respond to the members here at LegacyGT.com. Almost 25 of us purchased your downpipe through the Group Buy over a year ago and we each spent over $700 for your product. As I am sure you know by the hate mail, phone calls and other correspondence you continue to get from some, there are some serious real world performance issues with the claimed performance of said downpipe, and you have many very unsatisfied customers, who are, quite frankly, afraid to install your product on their cars.

We purchased your product because of the unique design that was supposed to be a notch above the other offerings available in quality, design and performance. We supported a Made in the USA, homegrown company with a fantastic reputation in the Subaru community. We feel we have been let down.

As you know, many of the guys who have installed your product are experience uncontrollable overboost issues. This should not be happening with a product that claims unequalled boost control. Your original "S" bend design of the divorced wastegate pipe was not retained in the "revised" group buy downpipe, instead a straight section was used for the purpose of "cost savings" in materials and production time. We believe that that is possibly the cause of the overboost issues. Many of your customers have spend massive amounts of money with their tuners and installers trying to fix this to no avail. I personally have even gone so far as to purchase from a friend one of your original "S" bend downpipes for the purpose of comparing the results of the 2 designs when I have the funds to work with my tuner in hopes of finding the issue. This is not something your customer should be doing, Nameless should be testing their own designs and quantifying the impact of design changes on the claimed results. For the record, your "S" design works flawlessly.

Please respond to your customers with a definitive timeline for your path of testing and resolution for the overboost issue. We are all sitting around with either empty pockets from failed tuning sessions, or with a very expensive and beautiful Nameless Paperweight on our desks. We look forward to some resolve from a company who we hope to continue being excited about.

Best Regards,

GTEASER (Joe)

Yeah I sent them an email along with a few others on here a while back and I never got a response which kind of sucks. Not gunna keep beating the dead horse but if you do decide to install this and are around the New England area, you're more than likely going to overboost with their full exhaust. I can't go WOT at all with this colder weather, not even full throttle I was creeping around 23.5 which is a pound over target, and I've seen a spike as high as 24.6 not WOT. So I' just take it easy now, not worth possibly having a huge spike in boost and heads separating from the block haha

Since my tuning experience in then end of April through June, the overboost issues of this downpipe had me paying close to 2k after all the tuning and tech time it takes to drop the headers/turbo, try something, rinse and repeat and it's definitely a pain to take on and off multiple times.

At this point, I'm just really banking on getting a custom header made with a t4 flange and just getting a downpipe that'll mate up to whatever turbo I go with and the rest of my nameless exhaust and call it a day.

I instant messaged Steve and tried to see if they would be willing to take the down pipe back in exchange for an axle back exhaust which costs less than the down pipe. I was hoping that since they didn't have to refund anything just eat some material and shipping they might be game but the response I got was to please wait until they could do testing. I asked when that might be and got no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I instant messaged Steve and tried to see if they would be willing to take the down pipe back in exchange for an axle back exhaust which costs less than the down pipe. I was hoping that since they didn't have to refund anything just eat some material and shipping they might be game but the response I got was to please wait until they could do testing. I asked when that might be and got no response.

Let's not get off the focus of getting some resolution to this. Everyone hold your correspondence until I get a response please. Multiple correspondences will just muddy things.

Thanks for contacting them Joe. Your message was written very eloquently and I think it pretty much sums everything up that we've been dealing with. Lets hope they start testing soon, and actually come up with some good results. I'm really worried they might do their "testing" and come back telling us there is no issue or something like that and we're SOL. Edited by Apexofthevortex

When I live chatted them, they said that they think there is no issue. Since the failed attempt on Ryan's LGT, I have been looking at other turbo-backs that have nothing to do with nameless. I loved my muffler deletes on my 4th gen and was hoping to get a full kit for the 5th gen but this is insane.

November is the next time all parties involved will have free time to get this figured out. If you think Nameless is just planning ways to take our money with no recourse is wrong. They are busy as ****, with a full rally, and drift team not much time to do anything else. When they have free time my car has been there, and yes they feel that their part isn't the issue.

November is the next time all parties involved will have free time to get this figured out. If you think Nameless is just planning ways to take our money with no recourse is wrong. They are busy as ****, with a full rally, and drift team not much time to do anything else. When they have free time my car has been there, and yes they feel that their part isn't the issue.

Well I'm glad they are using all the money we gave them to make their rally and drift cars better and all that. I would also buy the whole them being way too busy thing but its been more than an entire year. If they hadn't tried to sweep us under the rug when this whole thing started maybe it would have already been resolved. The way I see it they should be more worried about maintaining their reputation as a company and less worried about racing, but what do I know?

I think they will find that when they put the new part on your car Ryan, with your current tune, the results will show something that they never anticipated.

Did they ever install the revised part on your car, and drive or dyno run it, before they made the GB parts?

I think they will find that when they put the new part on your car Ryan, with your current tune, the results will show something that they never anticipated.

Did they ever install the revised part on your car, and drive or dyno run it, before they made the GB parts?

My guess would be no, why else would they be doing it now? If they already knew it was good they wouldn't be wasting their time.

They probably relied on the experience of the fabricator.

I am surprised with all that talk a while back about fluid dynamics programs noone here has plugged the two designs into a program.

I am really curious what you all plan to do if they come back with no issues on the test car?

I am really curious what you all plan to do if they come back with no issues on the test car?

I plan to have Nameless install the exhaust and coordinate with the tuner in a January/February timeframe. But... I pretty much plan to do that regardless what happens with Ryan's car.

Let's not get off the focus of getting some resolution to this. Everyone hold your correspondence until I get a response please. Multiple correspondences will just muddy things.

Wasn't trying to step on your toes. I contacted them before you did

My guess would be no, why else would they be doing it now? If they already knew it was good they wouldn't be wasting their time.

I am surprised with all that talk a while back about fluid dynamics programs noone here has plugged the two designs into a program.

If they come back with no issues, I would hope they make a more detailed write-up on how to install the DP. 2 weeks till November. Lets hope for the best =)

CFD is only as good as the inputs you have, so unless someone wants to get perfect measurements of each DP and the wastegate, and log fluid flow data it won't be any good. what i can tell you is that the new design will definitely not flow wastegate gases as well as the original strictly because of the way the flow meets the main flow. weather that difference is enough to matter is yet to be seen (i guess).

I can only speak for myself here, but the primary issue I have is the redesign of the group buy piece. Which, by the way, wasn't even brought up by Nameless in the first place, it was noticed by someone examining pictures of the two side by side. This is unacceptable to me. It was a cost-cutting measure and should have been mentioned by Nameless before anyone had sent in non-refundable deposits. While we were aware that each piece was hand-made and subject to slight variations, this was an intentional change in the design of the unit in an effort to make it easier/cheaper for the manufacturer and nothing else. We PAID FOR the original design and didn't receive it, but being desperate for a well-made and well-performing downpipe, I (and I assume others) trusted Nameless when they stated they had seen good results with the redesign (shall I link the post again?).