LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any long-term reliability issues associated with a CAI? Obviously, you need to tune for it and wash/replace the filter at X interval. But I'm trying to make my car last 250-300k miles when it gets a new motor. I just like the whoosh sounds.

Are there any long-term reliability issues associated with a CAI? Obviously, you need to tune for it and wash/replace the filter at X interval. But I'm trying to make my car last 250-300k miles when it gets a new motor. I just like the whoosh sounds.

As long as your MAF scaling is done properly, this intake shouldn't have any more effect on longevity than the stock one. Now the cool whoosh noises will probably make you press the go pedal a little more often... Haha. The only side effect I can see is that you might have to buy a life jacket.

....so you don't drown in all that p***y your wagon will then attract. /highly inappropriate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Chase and I are on the dyno today with a different project, but we got word that intakes are almost ready for packaging, so I couldn't resist!

License plate frames for everybody if we can hit 50 participants, so help us get the word out! Share the group buy thread on facebook, around the forum, instatweet - whatever!

GET IT!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

How much of a restriction is the stock intercooler (BP kitted) with this kit? Would it make it worthless to buy this until I get an intercooler?

Your stock intercooler is still going to be your biggest restriction but you may as well take advantage of group buy price and then pick up an intercooler down the road.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Honestly, that's why I am thinking of getting it. Eventually I'll get a TMIC, but for now, the whoosh noises would be fun.

I have a BP TMIC too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

So does anyone think the butt dyno would notice this with vf52 going from stock intake?

Depends on your tune, but it probably would be noticeable in your spool more than anywhere.

Looking like I'm going to have to wait to pick this up until a little later in the year since the money I set aside for this got diverted while we were waiting for the redesign. Chase - any idea when they will be available through vendors?

DUDE! Did you read any of the data Grimmspeed has been generous to provide!?

DUDE! I totally did bro!

And slight deviations of lines on a graph do not subjectively measureable G forces equal.

20+ wheel torque is a 10% increase. I'm not sure if that much of a difference will be noticeable on the street.

DUDE! I totally did bro!

And slight deviations of lines on a graph do not subjectively measureable G forces equal.

20+ wheel torque is a 10% increase. I'm not sure if that much of a difference will be noticeable on the street.

I would put it this way: unless you're running a big amount of power and big enough turbo, it's probably not going to make THAT much of a difference. It WILL make a difference, but just not that much. This is one of those mods, that for most stage 1 and 2 vehicles, will probably provide more for aesthetics than anything.:)

That being said, the fact that GrimmSpeed was willing to throw it on a dyno and carefully document how well it worked tells me it's probably one of the best intakes out there, and the GB price is fantastic.

The tangible difference of 20+wtq may only be very slight given the incremental differences between your current torque curve and what you may get post-GS intake with a new tune, and the new curve should still be a gradual build-up to the new peak.

NA guys pay $300 for 1-5hp increases, here we get 20whp for $250 and people are still complaining...

Just cranking the boost is not the answer to all questions, making an engine more efficient is a better way to make power.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

dang I really want this since my cobb intake doesn't have a box, but then I'd have to try to sell my cobb with everyone else that's getting this (haha) and drop another $75 on a retune....hmmmm

Alright, I'm back! Lets get down to it:

Any pics of what a this would look like in an engine bay that was dressed up in GrimmSpeed goods?

I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get this in black or red. I already have the alternator cover and radiator shroud in red.

I really like they way they look when they match, but it's not my choice:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5000/8fmm9av/products/353/images/1665/intake_subaru_0814_wrxsti_22_1600__77742.1431537471.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

As long as your MAF scaling is done properly, this intake shouldn't have any more effect on longevity than the stock one. Now the cool whoosh noises will probably make you press the go pedal a little more often... Haha. The only side effect I can see is that you might have to buy a life jacket.

....so you don't drown in all that p***y your wagon will then attract. /highly inappropriate

I fully agree with everything MTBwrench has said (and unfortunately we will not be supplying life jackets). The only thing I'd add is just doing proper filter maintenance just like you would for any oiled filter in appropriate intervals. And additionally, more often than not a safe tune seems to be safer for the engine than the stock tune, so that's a double win for longevity.

How much of a restriction is the stock intercooler (BP kitted) with this kit? Would it make it worthless to buy this until I get an intercooler?

Your stock intercooler is still going to be your biggest restriction but you may as well take advantage of group buy price and then pick up an intercooler down the road.

Restriction? It's really not that bad at all. A good intercooler should be a balance between cooling ability and restriction. Restriction is necessary in an intercooler to help aid heat transfer. Flow needs to be turbulent (and it definitely is) to force an interaction, and thus heat transfer, between the heated air and the intercooler walls.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_0814_20_original.jpg

You can see that the stock intercooler is very good about being non-restrictive at a pressure drop of only 1psi peak. But it also has the worst cooling ability.

Our intercooler had a peak pressure drop of 1.3psi, but substantially better cooling ability.

And a popular "large" tmic that we tested shows that adding more restriction doesn't necessarily mean better cooling, and often showcases poor design choices. As it has a maximum restriction of 1.5psi, and doesn't cool the charge air nearly as well.

I can hear all the whoosh noises already!

All your woosh are belong to us!

So does anyone think the butt dyno would notice this with vf52 going from stock intake?

The tangible difference of 20+wtq may only be very slight given the incremental differences between your current torque curve and what you may get post-GS intake with a new tune, and the new curve should still be a gradual build-up to the new peak.

I would put it this way: unless you're running a big amount of power and big enough turbo, it's probably not going to make THAT much of a difference. It WILL make a difference, but just not that much. This is one of those mods, that for most stage 1 and 2 vehicles, will probably provide more for aesthetics than anything.:)

That being said, the fact that GrimmSpeed was willing to throw it on a dyno and carefully document how well it worked tells me it's probably one of the best intakes out there, and the GB price is fantastic.

Alright, there is a lot to cover here, but it's all basically pointing to the same couple things:

First, is how sensitive do you think your butt is? I can feel the difference in as little as 3-5whp. I know, because I've dyno proved it before. Now that doesn't mean that you can feel 3-5whp. It doesn't even mean that you can necessarily feel the difference between a 10% increase in engine torque to the wheels. However, you have a substantially greater chance of feeling a difference in 10% than 5%. Unfortunately, none of us are going to be able to tell you other than that.

But with that said, here is a post from a guy with a vf52 who I think is in love: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43465062&postcount=319

The other thing that I think makes feeling the power gain difficult is that there is a similar gain in power at every RPM. So instead of feeling a different or peakier power curve which is easy to feel, you have the same feeling curve, but the car is faster because the power gains are everywhere. I'd say that even if your butt dyno sucks, the new audible experience will do significant things to your brain dyno.

And thank you two very much for helping out in my absence!

Depends on your tune, but it probably would be noticeable in your spool more than anywhere.

Looking like I'm going to have to wait to pick this up until a little later in the year since the money I set aside for this got diverted while we were waiting for the redesign. Chase - any idea when they will be available through vendors?

Yeah, depending on how well these sell (honestly I can't believe the support your guys are showing so far, I think it's over 40 right now?), they should be available through vendors after the group buy. Otherwise if they were to sell out, we'll start making more and I can't tell you for certain what the delay would be, but I'd anticipate a couple months depending on what exactly needs to be made/done.

NA guys pay $300 for 1-5hp increases, here we get 20whp for $250 and people are still complaining...

Just cranking the boost is not the answer to all questions, making an engine more efficient is a better way to make power.

Truer words have not been typed. But like all car parts, it's a simple as "if you don't want an intake, don't buy one." I'm not going to be offended. I mean.... you might be offended though when the guy who did buy the intake and who got the tune smokes you at a stoplight ;D

Thank you so much everyone, the groupbuy is going fantastic. It's good news for the future as well, because if there is this level of interest from the LGT market it helps know where to spend time with R&D and product development. So thanks for participating there, here, and whoever is telling their friends!

Chase

Engineering

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while and am extremely interested in jumping in on getting this intake but I have a question. Will this intake be tested to be CARB legal? California makes some of the dumbest laws and somehow an intake needs their sticker of approval for emissions.

Archived