LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely interested, real close to putting my name on the list, very shortly. Question about the air filter element itself - its a wet or oiled type filter. Is there any kind of alternative element we could use? Or is the filter itself an engineered part of the airflow characteristics? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of oiled filters. I see many of the K&N style filters start causing issues at my shop, fouling MAFs and seemingly (non-scientific observation, here,) poor filtering capability. Obviously the fouling is a product of people over-oiling their filter, and can be prevented, but it still makes me hesitant. Any thoughts or alternatives, or am I over-thinking the filter?

Definitely interested, real close to putting my name on the list, very shortly. Question about the air filter element itself - its a wet or oiled type filter. Is there any kind of alternative element we could use? Or is the filter itself an engineered part of the airflow characteristics? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of oiled filters. I see many of the K&N style filters start causing issues at my shop, fouling MAFs and seemingly (non-scientific observation, here,) poor filtering capability. Obviously the fouling is a product of people over-oiling their filter, and can be prevented, but it still makes me hesitant. Any thoughts or alternatives, or am I over-thinking the filter?

There's a bunch of discussion of this in the development thread for the WRX over on NASIOC. I can't recall exactly where it was, though. Moral of the story was that you should be fine with the oiled filter.

Well now that the intake snorkus will be gone with the GS intake, I just might have to pick up a radiator shroud to go with it at some point.

:lol:

My GS radiator shroud has been hanging on a wall the past 3 months for the same reason

A radiator shroud would be a fine addition to go with the now defunct snorkus. Tool tray > Leftover holes from snorkus

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while and am extremely interested in jumping in on getting this intake but I have a question. Will this intake be tested to be CARB legal? California makes some of the dumbest laws and somehow an intake needs their sticker of approval for emissions.

You're right, they do, lousy smogville! It's not going to be CARB legal yet, and I don't know if it will ever be. We've put a good amount of work into it, and it's just not moving forward (not due to any fault of our own). So no dice, unfortunately.

Off-road use only. Becuz rally car.

Yes, and all the brapps.

Can you buy a fake sticker on eBay

Just gonna pretend like I didn't read that

Yes, it's an oiled air filter, but no, it's not K&N. When we started designing one of our first intakes we went down to SEMA to meet up with and discuss things like this with all the major air filter manufacturers. Ultimately we chose a very reputable and popular USA filter manufacturer that was able to alleviate our concerns, and work with us on a custom filter design. And it's a pretty damn good one ;)

But you're right, the majority, if not ALL problems with fouled MAFs are from over oiling from the end user after a cleaning. Rarely do they come from the manufacturer over oiled, but i have heard allegations. I think you're over thinking it a bit, but in a good way, just don't let it turn into a "scare-the-crap-out-of-yourself" way.

But, yes, the filter and it's venturi are designed to work with this intake specifically and are one of the reasons the MAF readings are so consistent. In fact, if you install the filter incorrectly and push the pipe into the filter so the entry of the pipe is past the venturi (acting effectively as a pipe in open air) we've seen all kinds of unwanted changes. On the BRZ moving the filter to the correct location was the difference between 1whp and 10whp. On the 08-14 WRX/STI and 15-16 WRX people have seen stumbles, weird idles, etc. And as soon as the filter is moved to the correct location, they all go away! And just for reference, as it's in the instructions, but it just needs to be 1 inch or less from the end of the pipe, it's extremely quick, easy, and not scary at all.

An alternative filter? Yes. We just don't have them in. Some people are just dead against the oiled filters, so we have some dry filters on the way. Same design, just in a dry element. Now, we won't be selling intakes with this option, but rather it will be sold as a separate add-on. So you can pick up this intake now and run the oiled filter, or wait until you can buy the dry element version. Inherently oiled filters are less restrictive then dry filters because the oil does the majority of the filtering, whereas the dry elements just need to be designed to be more restrictive to provide comparative filtering.

I think I nailed it all, lemme know if you have any more questions.

Chase

Engineering

Thanks for the response, sir! Definitely helps assuage some fears (valid or not...) Maybe I'll wind up picking up a dry filter some time in the future just for comparison, but for now oil will do just fine. Thanks again for the detailed response, its not often you run across vendors with as much interaction and technical response as yall offer. Big plus in my book! Now, off to get on the list.

Gotta hand it to ya GS, you guys are good at spoolin up the masses!

And not to say at all that the products aren't worth it. I'm glad the community puts their funding behind a company willing and able to make great products.

So what's next? skidplate? fuel rails? brush guard?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Thanks for the response, sir! Definitely helps assuage some fears (valid or not...) Maybe I'll wind up picking up a dry filter some time in the future just for comparison, but for now oil will do just fine. Thanks again for the detailed response, its not often you run across vendors with as much interaction and technical response as yall offer. Big plus in my book! Now, off to get on the list.

"Assuage" what an awesome word!

Yeah, having the oiled filter will be nice, because assuming you buy the dry filter later, its nice to have the oiled one available for when you wash your dry filter and are waiting for it to dry. That way you can drive your car without waiting the 24 hours or so for the filter to dry.

Thank you very much for the kind words! We're just a bunch of enthusiasts that are trying to create things that work well, and that we would be proud to have on our own vehicles. If anyone claims something works well, and they have data, but they're not willing to show that data, or explain how or why something "works well" I would be weary. And even if they can, still be weary and ask tough questions, just as so many people have in this thread. That's how you make good informed decisions, especially when its about something important, like your Subaru ;)

Gotta hand it to ya GS, you guys are good at spoolin up the masses!

And not to say at all that the products aren't worth it. I'm glad the community puts their funding behind a company willing and able to make great products.

So what's next? skidplate? fuel rails? brush guard?

Thank you very much! I have to agree with you, the community support we're seeing right now is nothing short of impressive :)

I'm not sure what's next. We'll have to put out a feeler about what people want. I like all three of those things, but I'm not the one who'll tell me what to do next!

Ugh this is really making me want to sell my FMS FMIC and buy a GS TMIC just so I can get this intake....

Let me tell ya, I'm a huge fan of our TMIC, but I might have a little bias.

What's the discount for buying the GS Intake and GS TMIC? :D

That's a good question. I think it's "nothing," but that shouldn't stop you from calling in and hounding one of the sales guys for that info. That reminds me, I should check how many people are signed up for the GB....

Chase

Engineering

UEL headers! Or resuming your porting and polishing services to go with your cross pipe

I would bet good money that grimmspeed never releases an Unequal length header. Every other part they make is designed ed for performance and efficiency, and the unequal length design is inefficient inherently

I don't think we'll see porting again for a long time, if ever unfortunately.

A couple years ago we talked a lot about headers, we even have some prototypes that we've tested. Nothing that we had made was really revolutionary as far as performance goes, so we scrapped that project. We had some cool ideas, but the performance per dollar was going to be junk. However, it's always something that comes up time and time again, and is not necessarily off the table. Mainly because I love all manifold design ;)

It's weird though about the UEL thing. Some BRZ designs (granted that's an N/A car) have significant torque increases with a UEL over most ELs. It really makes you dig deeper into theory to see what exactly could be going on. Maybe it is possible to make something UEL and still make large gains.

The other issue is about sound. We have a prototype from a few years ago that is honestly the most equal length sounding manifold any of us has ever heard. The only problem with that is losing that signature rumble. People are really torn on the issue, with some being appalled with the possibility of sounding like an Evo.

So that project is benched. Possibly indefinitely, as there are so many things we want to come out with. But you (and I) never know...

Remember when they rolled out with this badass?

http://i.imgur.com/quSiBpi.jpg

Ahhhh yes, the superloop. Because more loops = more power. Truly a modern marvel of loop engineering.

So you think I could get some sort of trade in credit if I sent in my FMIC stuff haha? ;)

BAHAHAHA! Definitely not, we don't want it! We'll stick to our TMICs round here ;)

Chase

Engineering

Received my intake this afternoon. Thank you grimmspeed. I'm sure to come back for more developments as they come, except for the super looking manifold I see above lol.

As for a good idea for a mani. Have you considered just a replacement/shorty header piece that will mate up with the crossover and up pipe you sell? I think it would be an awesome alternative to buying a full manifold, and having the buy it later option so many of us do use.

As for a good idea for a mani. Have you considered just a replacement/shorty header piece that will mate up with the crossover and up pipe you sell? I think it would be an awesome alternative to buying a full manifold, and having the buy it later option so many of us do use.

That would be so sick!

I would definitely buy that IF there are true gains to be had.

I bet cross-pipe and up-pipe sales would dramatically increase too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received my intake this afternoon. Thank you grimmspeed. I'm sure to come back for more developments as they come, except for the super looking manifold I see above lol.

Eh, I am not sure thee would by much advantage to that unless routing on the passenger side were altered somewhat to help with any flow restrictions caused by the OEM layout. At least in my opinion.

I don't think we'll see porting again for a long time, if ever unfortunately.

A couple years ago we talked a lot about headers, we even have some prototypes that we've tested. Nothing that we had made was really revolutionary as far as performance goes, so we scrapped that project. We had some cool ideas, but the performance per dollar was going to be junk. However, it's always something that comes up time and time again, and is not necessarily off the table. Mainly because I love all manifold design ;)

It's weird though about the UEL thing. Some BRZ designs (granted that's an N/A car) have significant torque increases with a UEL over most ELs. It really makes you dig deeper into theory to see what exactly could be going on. Maybe it is possible to make something UEL and still make large gains.

The other issue is about sound. We have a prototype from a few years ago that is honestly the most equal length sounding manifold any of us has ever heard. The only problem with that is losing that signature rumble. People are really torn on the issue, with some being appalled with the possibility of sounding like an Evo.

So that project is benched. Possibly indefinitely, as there are so many things we want to come out with. But you (and I) never know...

Chase

Engineering

I know this is going off topic in an intake thread, but since you mentioned this... :lol:

I wonder if you could keep the UEL sound and minimize the losses by merging the two cylinders further away, and utilizing stepped down flanges with varying piping sizes. Having stepped down flanges should create a wall for exhaust gasses to hit when they try go back. Granted this would help with reversion, not necessarily flow.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Someone should start a thread on tuning (road, dyno, magical, etc) for the GS intake... Cleaner than putting it in the "interest" or " group buy " threads.

+1 or more

I installed mine yesterday, and for starters applied the 12% scaling increase that GS has mentioned previously, at least as a stop gap until I can get it tuned properly. I've also pulled out 2 deg from base timing and am staying out of heavy throttle.

Would love to see what others are seeing in datalogs and hearing under the hood. I'm seeing slightly lower MAF readings and shorter IDC as compared to the stock airbox under similar operating conditions and the 12% scaling doesn't seem to apply uniformly across the rpm band on my car.

Archived