LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

I wonder what the scalling % difference is between KSTech Megamaf and this, Ill fit it as soon as i get it and drive it like i stole it! and check the logs

Post up what you find in the thread linked above!

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

For individuals interested in a non-oiled filter, the dry filter alternative is now available on our website.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5000/8fmm9av/products/392/images/2109/dry_filter_2_2000__69773.1448379201.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed-dry-element-air-filter-3-0-inlet/

Chase

Engineering

Chase, woul dit require a re-tune? I assume the dry media has a higher density and is thus more restrictive, right? I have no idea whether or not this affects the tune, just curious!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Chase, woul dit require a re-tune? I assume the dry media has a higher density and is thus more restrictive, right? I have no idea whether or not this affects the tune, just curious!

Nah, no need to retune. You'd be exactly correct, just increasing the restriction by a small amount. No changes to the airflow across the MAF sensor since filter and airbox location remains the same, same venturi and physical dimensions, and same maf placement.

We haven't measured the restriction on these filters yet, but expect it to be very small, think fractions of a psi. Nothing to worry about really if you insist on being oil-less!

Chase

Engineering

• 1 year later...

So I've been playing with one of these intakes for the last few days to practice MAF scaling. About to change injectors so this was only a temp setup before going back to stock intake.

I'm seeing super high intake air temps similar to what Tuning Alliance did in his Independent testing of the Grimmspeed Intake thread. So I pulled out my FLIR ONE to try and see what was going on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242576&d=1482786046

Fig 1. Measurement taken immediately after driving around town. IAT was showing 85F, ambient was ~65F on dash.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242577&d=1482786046

Fig 2. Measurement taken after idling for ~5 minutes. IAT was showing 125f, ambient was ~65f on dash.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242578&d=1482786046

Fig 3. Measurement of the passenger side finder after idling for ~5min. This show the finder it'self is actually kind of hot.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242579&d=1482786046

Fig 4. Measurement of the stock intake after idling. IAT was 95F and Ambient 70f (real).

So based on those data points, one can see that the intake is heating up more than the intake air. You can also see that the finder is rather warm, indicating the intake air source isn't the coolest but still cooler than the grimmspeed intake. This in comparison to the stock intake that seems to heat up much less.

In testing I've seen intake air temps get up to 145f while idling or city traffic, and it takes about 5 minutes of driving to come down to something reasonable. After driving a while on the interstate though the intake temps would drop to ~5f above ambient. It also is causing some fun overboost issues (18psi on wastegate boost at 6000rpm :eek::eek:) so it's obviously flowing quite well and has the capability of running cooly.

Has any one successful mitigated the low speed heating issue with ether additional heat shielding or ventilation? Seems like a great intake for people that live in rual areas and are mostly on the go, but it seems to have issues in stoplight heavy city life.

Edit: I just found a big gap between the undertray and the frame rail that's letting hot air in from around the headers. May need to build some sort of divider there.

IMG_0058.JPG.9fde7e252a516627de7851fa5682ceaa.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG.61e463850a662abd14032901009fdb11.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG.ea14c1cad27f9b644d0d3f69fa9d0725.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG.ac3db6826d37867692cd2379b7dbf91d.JPG

Edit: I just found a big gap between the undertray and the frame rail that's letting hot air in from around the headers. May need to build some sort of divider there.

Those were my findings too, I think a proper seal between undertray and body is going to be a must with any fender intake.

Even with the stock intake and the milk jug removed I saw fairly high IAT's. I believe that's because the fenderwell gets a bit too hot and it dilutes the fresh air from the front snorkel.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Those were my findings too, I think a proper seal between undertray and body is going to be a must with any fender intake.

Even with the stock intake and the milk jug removed I saw fairly high IAT's. I believe that's because the fenderwell gets a bit too hot and it dilutes the fresh air from the front snorkel.

Where's the heat in the front fenderwell coming from? Is that bleed over from the radiator?

Where's the heat in the front fenderwell coming from? Is that bleed over from the radiator?

It appears to come mainly from the header pipe on the passenger side. I see elevated IAT when in prolonged idle/crawling traffic too, typically goes a bit over 100F in 50-60F ambient after sitting in very slow moving traffic for ~10 min+. I think the effect is somewhat less than OP's w/ my setup b/c I have a GT Spec skid plate. The skid plate has relatively high side 'walls' that help to block line of sight b/n the header and the air gap that leads into the fender area where the GS CAI filter resides.

It appears to come mainly from the header pipe on the passenger side. I see elevated IAT when in prolonged idle/crawling traffic too, typically goes a bit over 100F in 50-60F ambient after sitting in very slow moving traffic for ~10 min+. I think the effect is somewhat less than OP's w/ my setup b/c I have a GT Spec skid plate. The skid plate has relatively high side 'walls' that help to block line of sight b/n the header and the air gap that leads into the fender area where the GS CAI filter resides.

has anyone tried the stickon DEI heat shielding to prevent heat transmission to the fenderwell?

iirc the primitive skid plate has smaller side 'walls' than the GT Spec version so probably exposes the heat source more. In cold temps < 35F I get some boost creep w/ the GS CAI, but only above 6k rpm. Will probably leave it installed as I only recently added their dry element filter and think I have MAF scaling pretty well dialed in across yearly operating temps. Road dyno logging shows gains similar to what GS and TA saw up top and my Inner Ricer still likes the sound. I'm fortunate to only rarely be in extended idling/crawling traffic conditions, 90%+ of my driving is highway.

Great pictures in post #281, but has anyone got any temps in that area at say 60 mph ?

How long does that heat stay there once the car is moving ?

isn't that more important ? We all know things will get heat soaked at idle in traffic.

I'll say in Oct of this year after driving around town and shutting the engine off, open the hood and touching the GS tmic, the cold side is close to ambient temp the hot side is noticeably hotter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great pictures in post #281, but has anyone got any temps in that area at say 60 mph ?

How long does that heat stay there once the car is moving ?

isn't that more important ? We all know things will get heat soaked at idle in traffic.

I'll say in Oct of this year after driving around town and shutting the engine off, open the hood and touching the GS tmic, the cold side is close to ambient temp the hot side is noticeably hotter.

IIRC, I typically saw about 2-5 above ambient with the Grimmspeed at speed.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I hardly ever see anything close to ambient, unless we are talking about a cold start. Usually 5-10 above even at 80 mph, iirc. Traffic is lighter, and the weather is cooler (for socal) right now, so I'll monitor it again tomorrow and see try to get some numbers.

The temps have dropped into the 50s in the day time, which is rare for los angeles (not bragging! just saying...) and I have been disappointed to still see high intake temps. I was thinking of bumping this thread, so this is right up my current frame of mind.

From a cold start and w/ no appreciable idling/standing traffic, I'll usually see 2-3 deg above ambient. After a warm start, usually 5-8 deg above ambient on the highway once things settle out. IIRC, after an idling/standing traffic heat soak where the IAT goes to ~100F (ambient in the ~50F range), it usually drops back to 70-80F within 1.5 mi of resuming > 40 mph speed (a couple of minutes or better).

I hadn't really thought about it but one of my professors has a Flir camera. I'll ask him if I can borrow it and maybe I'll have a friend drive my car while I shoot the fender with the flir at 60 to get an idea of what the temps are.

And for the record I've had similar experience with the GS intake that Chris GTO TT has had with the 2-3 degrees above ambient when cruising. I notice it does rise in stop and go traffic but it cools down rather quickly once traffic gets going again. I haven't monitored since my front end swap nor getting non-worn through fender lines from Boxkita though. I'll monitor it next time I have a decent amount of driving to do.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived