LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

I would honestly cut up the airbox if you go that route, because you've already bought it, so cutting it up and trying is still better than just throwing it away. I have to to reiterate that it's important to support the intake, which without the box you'd need to fab something up.

And that's still assuming that even with the box cut perfect that the intake fits, which I can't confirm, but have a suspicion it will.

And I too have spent some time on that site for my own personal reasons. however, that shade of blue for example, is too light, and looks like "Old Ford Blue," and not the "World Rally Blue" that we had our heart set on.

I would definitely keep the air box if I bought it and figure out how to make it work if it didn't. I'll have to do some test fitting with my piping and cardboard :lol:

I did not realize you were looking for a textured WRB. I thought you were just looking for a textured blue. Would using a textured base coat with a topcoat to get the WRB color work? Would be a 2 stage process but you might be able to get that to work.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would definitely keep the air box if I bought it and figure out how to make it work if it didn't. I'll have to do some test fitting with my piping and cardboard :lol:

I did not realize you were looking for a textured WRB. I thought you were just looking for a textured blue. Would using a textured base coat with a topcoat to get the WRB color work? Would be a 2 stage process but you might be able to get that to work.

This^ I just feel like WRB would have so much interest and would sell a lot.

quote .Speaking of sealed fender well's... I've been testing different intake setups: CAI, WAI, Milk Jug/Resonator delete, and I'm beginning to question how good ("cold") the fender well actually is.

[ATTACH]216656[/ATTACH]

maybe this can help ;)

While I love the concept, it will look ricey on a street car (especially if you only do one side). Plus doesn't help resolve the rain getting on the intake issue. :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

While I love the concept, it will look ricey on a street car (especially if you only do one side). Plus doesn't help resolve the rain getting on the intake issue. :lol:

too late , this is going on my car ! :lol:

this was made with the idea of a carbon air box connected to the fender by a tunnel , an other project ...

This^ I just feel like WRB would have so much interest and would sell a lot.

I know, that's why I said we had spent time previously looking for a good match, but didn't find what we were looking for!

As far as two staging the process, that would be substantially cheaper for the end user (you) to do than for us to do, and then sell it to you. Doing something like that would make the price of blue go up substantially, and increase lead time. Then all the sudden people wouldn't buy it out of protest because "it costs so much more than blue or black."

Honestly it's probably a look that could be achieved by lightly priming the black pipes, and then spraying our WRB spray paint over them.

24 DAYS till on the Dyno... really want this intake!

Well, I wouldn't worry too much, I hear the pipes will be back from powdercoating early next week ;)

Chase

Engineering

Thats where im figuring as well. so excited, Would love to get mikey to do my tune on my current fujita intake which is 10 years old intake technology, and then install the Grimmspeed unit and do a run with no tune change, then fine tune for it!

I know, that's why I said we had spent time previously looking for a good match, but didn't find what we were looking for!

As far as two staging the process, that would be substantially cheaper for the end user (you) to do than for us to do, and then sell it to you. Doing something like that would make the price of blue go up substantially, and increase lead time. Then all the sudden people wouldn't buy it out of protest because "it costs so much more than blue or black."

Honestly it's probably a look that could be achieved by lightly priming the black pipes, and then spraying our WRB spray paint over them.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much, I hear the pipes will be back from powdercoating early next week ;)

Chase

Engineering

If I were to paint it WRB myself, would that affect the warranty?

has pricing been set? money standing by ready, something tells me ill be installing this morning before Dyno.

Pricing is pretty much set, we talked about it this morning as we're hoping to get the GB going very soon.

I would even install it in the parking lot at where you're getting tuned at. I did it on the dyno with derp's car, and granted I've installed this intake on a few cars many times, its an insanely easy install. It's actually easier than installing the stock intake IMO. Give yourself an extra 25-30 minutes before the dyno to install it (really only takes about 10-15, especially if you put the rubber gasketing on beforehand), and then you don't have to drive on an untuned intake.

^^^^^^ would also like to hear approximate price range

If I had to guess WRX intake minus a reasonable discount for GB.

Predicting $250 - $299

The wrx one is $285 on their site right now. I think the lgt one will be around the same price

Well, the LGT intake does cost us more to make than the WRX intake, despite being extremely similar. Initially we were going to slightly increase the price to compensate for that, but it looks like we're just gonna eat it instead. We'll review everything again, but expect the same MSRP, and expect a stupid low group buy price.

I think that's low,,,,,, $399.00

$399 would be a smidge insane..

Agreed. At that price point I would no longer be interested.

Why so much more than the wrx?

At $399 I wouldn't be interested either, so we won't be anywhere near that. Besides, there are already a ton of overpriced intakes on the market for LGTs :p

If I were to paint it WRB myself, would that affect the warranty?

Talked to one of my sales guys as this seemed like a weird grey area. However, on the intake tube the only things that can go wrong is if the MAF weld were to fail, or if the air straightener weld were to fail. And neither of those things is going to happen. But lets pretend they did somehow, we would 100% warranty the product despite what color you painted it. We'll for sure stand behind our parts and craftsmanship, so go ahead and paint it without worrying. Obviously if you're looking to have the finish warrantied we can't help you though.

+1 subscribed to the newsletter

Outstanding!

Thats where im figuring as well. so excited, Would love to get mikey to do my tune on my current fujita intake which is 10 years old intake technology, and then install the Grimmspeed unit and do a run with no tune change, then fine tune for it!

Yeah, that would be pretty cool! I'm not a fan of the MAF location on that particular design, and it looks like the tubing is undersized as well to "get away without a tune." Should be a decent comparison!

Well, I'm hoping to see some powdercoated pipes today! Which pretty much just leaves us to cleaning and packaging ;)

Chase

Engineering

I currently have a Cobb SF intake and in doing some routine maintenance I noticed that there was some significant rubbing occurring between the post MAF silicone tube and a plastic piece attached to the engine. I'm sure this wear has occurred over a long period of time but is a concern for a potential long term failure. Here is a picture I took of the tube and the interfering piece. The silicone material is definitely thinner than the rest of the tube. I suspect that I could live a couple extra years before the silicone tube fails and that area wears through.

20150926_161059.jpg

Does the GrimmSpeed intake or transition tube rub the same plastic component on the engine? If so, has there been any thought of long term wear that would lead to a potential failure?

A potential solution is to shave down that plastic piece so it doesn't touch the tube, but I haven't really looked at the piece for any length of time to see if that's possible.

I think to be fair, the Cobb SF intake has been installed on this car for at least 5 years (was equipped with this in 2010 when it was sold from the first owner), and maybe had been installed a bit longer than that. So this tube probably has had 7 years of life behind it with an additional few extra years ahead of it.

Archived