LegacyGT.com

HELP! P0021 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Advanced

D-2.5-GT

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Is there a banjo bolt and screen filter on the driver side? I know about the one on the passenger side that comes off the back of the backside of them intake oil galley and splits to the turbo. What about the driver side?

Yes there is one on the driver's side too, to filter the oil going to the OCV, but it is a real bitch to get at. Unless you are having problems, I suggest leaving it alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Behind the cam cover on the drivers side head. File down the raised part on the head of the bolt and you will have enough clearance to remove it.

HAMMERDOWN did his a while ago and posted pictures.

I had the machine shop leave it out when they reassembled my long block.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi

I also have been having this problem occasionally with the P0021. Tonight i did a quick log when it runs rough @ about 900 - 1000 rpm. During normal driving it feels fine but i have logged the VVT @ 42 right side 52 left side, during normal driving.

I presume the angle should be similar between the two banks? i can provide further logs if required.

Thanks for your time!

LibGT07log.thumb.jpg.967d3ab588241816ddd519dfb6f95bcf.jpg

LibGT07P0021DTC.csv

Behind the cam cover on the drivers side head. File down the raised part on the head of the bolt and you will have enough clearance to remove it.

HAMMERDOWN did his a while ago and posted pictures.

I had the machine shop leave it out when they reassembled my long block.

Post with pics.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326330&postcount=158

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Had this code pop-up. It showed once about 6 months ago after a 4 hour highway trip, drove fine/no noises, changed oil & filter and cleared code.. did not come back. Yesterday did 3 hour drive, had it pop-up again. Had it cleared and hasnt come back in 30 miles (oil will be changed tonight)... any ideas on this infrequent and any thoughts on the long drive time causing the light or just coincidence (I have done other long trips without the issue). Not that it means much, but the tank from this weekend is one of my best MPG's yet in the car in almost 2 years of ownership.

Had it pop up again after about 1hr drive.... then car sat for 36 hours and it disappeared? Then popped up again after an hour driving.

When you remove the OCV and/or banjo screen... does the car have to be empty of oil?

Grrrr, popped up again! It's always after a long highway drive, but not everytime. WTF

2/2011

8/2011

1/2013

So spaced out, and across almost 50,000 miles a good bunch of which has had long trips

You may want to try a can of the engine flush from the dealer, they have it behind the parts counter. A blue can for about $19.00

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...
So I just started my troubleshooting of this code, no real issues minus the CEL.

Would a heavy oil weight create more of a issue here I switched to Rotella synthetic...

I have used both 5w- 30 and 40 weight oils and my occurrence of this came with a 30 in the car. My turbo side banjo filter was about 50% clogged and the driver side was still about 75% open. p-side OCV was jammed but I possibly caused that getting it out. The extra 10 in weight might have contributed to your CEL but if there wasn't something else amiss the T6 by itself shouldn't be a problem.

I've had the car for over 65,000 miles and have been religious with my oil changes at 3750 up until about 20,000 ago when I switched to a higher grade Amsoil and started doing used oil analysis, which were all generally OK, as pertains to this issue, when I changed, all at under 9k on the oil. With my car there is almost 25,000 miles of unknown maintenance in its history so my guess is that that owner may have stretched her OCI further than recommended. I now have an Infamous filtered oil line replacing the turbo side banjo filter so can better monitor what's going on with the oil system conditions.

So I just started my troubleshooting of this code, no real issues minus the CEL.

Would a heavy oil weight create more of a issue here I switched to Rotella synthetic...

I have run Rotella 15w-40 in the summer time in the past.

Both my cars now have 5w-40 Amsoil the year round. You don't want these cars on a thin oil.

Remove the banjo filter and leave it out.

• 3 weeks later...
And turbo is blown :(

Sorry to hear of this. From my recent experience and your CEL I would guess that a clogged banjo bolt filter is a major contributing factor. If you are going to proceed with repairs my recommendation would be to install a filter-free banjo and an Infamous Performance & Tuning oil line with a serviceable in-line filter.

Did you get the CEL on both sides? I also replaced the filtered banjo on the driver's side ACVS. Mine on that side was still about 75% clear and it's something of a challenge to get at, especially if you do it the "dealer way."

• 2 months later...

Question:

I'll be pulling the AVCS banjo bolts to remove the screens soon, and was wondering if the OCV's should be considered maintenance items? I have 121k miles, no idle issues, no noticeable turbo noises, and no CEL's or reasons to believe there's an issue, but for $200 it seems like easy preventative maintenance.

The previous owner had the turbo banjo bolt out around 90k miles and the screen was not showing any contaminants, but he replaced it with a new filter anyway. I'll address this item at some point in the future (IP&T oil lines & vf52 swap maybe :)).

Just my opinion but I would not bother replacing the OCVs for preventive maintenance; I would need to see a mechanical issue first. That's based on my understanding that a bad OCV in and of itself will not damage the engine (people more familiar than I with piston to valve clearance over the entire possible range of AVCS in these motors may wish to chime in here). Of course it may be a sign of impending doom depending on why it has failed. If it's the more serious banjo bolt/oil starvation related root cause, replacing the OCV itself as PM would not have staved off that failure. If a sticky/bad OCV is the root cause of the AVCS-associated CELs, you can pull it out and try cleaning it to free up the action, and if that doesn't work then the solenoid could just be bad and you can replace it then, and everything should be hunky dory.

Preventive maintenance that I would do to keep the OCVs and/or your turbo and the rest of the engine from failing prematurely would include running a quality oil filter with the right bypass spec, and removing the banjo bolt filters entirely because they were a stupid goddam idea in the first place.

I would not bother with the OCV, I do have both fiters removed from my 05 with the new ej257. Still have the orginal OCV's.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a problem with my car where it seems to idle fine but if you give it ever so slight throttle it starts missing like crazy and seem to go rich.

It doesnt do this all the time.

It also will BOG, with no power when trying to take off from a stop light.

Doesnt do it all the time and I find no vacuum leaks.

I checked the AVCS numbers with ATR software and it seems that at that slight throttle it would go from like 5-10 to 25 all of a sudden with basically no change in throttle input.

My AFR B and C seems to be pulling fuel when this occurs. going from -.8 to sometimes -6.8

Any input?

Archived