LegacyGT.com

HELP! P0021 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Advanced

D-2.5-GT

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've cleared codes with my code scanner. Wouldn't that reset ECU?

That shoud clear it too. Is everything plugged back in right? I caught hell and 1 new scar removing those connectors since I replaced both same time.

Mine didn't seem to move either. Did the new ones you bought move in some way?
Yes they should move and my old ones were not. Cleaning didn't do much.

I had my turbo replaced a few months ago and everything was fine. had the code come up, replaced the OCV's, and that didnt help. Ended up blowing a 2nd turbo. Turns out that I had some engine damage, tiny pieces of metal were shaving off the engine and this is what caused both turbos to blow. $4000 dollars later, cars back on the road. Don't mess around with that engine code, its serious. This code can also be thrown due to low oil levels. I was told by the dealer not to use synthetic oil in this car, it can become too thin and wont lubricate the turbo properly.

I had my turbo replaced a few months ago and everything was fine. had the code come up, replaced the OCV's, and that didnt help. Ended up blowing a 2nd turbo. Turns out that I had some engine damage, tiny pieces of metal were shaving off the engine and this is what caused both turbos to blow. $4000 dollars later, cars back on the road. Don't mess around with that engine code, its serious. This code can also be thrown due to low oil levels. I was told by the dealer not to use synthetic oil in this car, it can become too thin and wont lubricate the turbo properly.

Seems like I am there but don't have the funds to break her open... Turbo is still pulling to the max but engine is meh. Sometime next month I will be able to at least pull it.

• 2 weeks later...
That shoud clear it too. Is everything plugged back in right? I caught hell and 1 new scar removing those connectors since I replaced both same time.

Yes they should move and my old ones were not. Cleaning didn't do much.

OK, the new ones arrived today, but they don't seem to move either. How exactly are they supposed to move?

I put them in anyways. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks/months...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Had this code pop-up. It showed once about 6 months ago after a 4 hour highway trip, drove fine/no noises, changed oil & filter and cleared code.. did not come back. Yesterday did 3 hour drive, had it pop-up again. Had it cleared and hasnt come back in 30 miles (oil will be changed tonight)... any ideas on this infrequent and any thoughts on the long drive time causing the light or just coincidence (I have done other long trips without the issue). Not that it means much, but the tank from this weekend is one of my best MPG's yet in the car in almost 2 years of ownership.

I have been doing it all along since new. I would differently remove the banjo filter and do a couple of quick oil changes and flushes.

My turbo now sounds different. Granted I haven't driven the car much since the code. The rear diff went. But I finally got the car back on the road this past week. It got about 250 miles now. My turbo has a louder whine under mild boost. Haven't given it full 19psi yet, stage2 catless. I did notice the compressor shaft has a fair amount of play in it when the DP was off while a buddy was put new synchro's in the tranny.

I'm looking at getting a new VF52 soon.

Let us know if your turbo sounds louder.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pep Boys came up with this today for my Check Engine and flashing Cruise Control:

p0011

p0021

p0018

p0016

p0011

p0021

p0018

p0016

The service guy said the set was repeated because the problem is not actually known. If the diagnostic tool was more certain there would only be one set. Whatever that is worth.

I've read about p0021 and the OCV in this forum.

What about p0018 and p0016? Common in Subaru's?

Is there a tie in with the p0021?

So far, dealer cleaned out oil line, removed mesh from banjo, changed oil, idled it for 5 minutes and then changed oil and filter and the light came on after almost 50 miles and while at idle. Changed OCV, and the light still came on after almost 60 miles and again, at idle. (both cases have been two drive cycles and on the same day. Next one will be the actual part of the cam (AVCS or whatever) the oil from the OCV comes in contact with.

Really sucks having a new engine/heads and having this come on time and time again. And it all started after 800+ miles after the rebuild!!!

Even on can of motor flush it states not to run it on turbo cars...

I have done it 4 times to this engine. I don't drive the car, pour it in start it up, idle for 5 min's, change oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

From a Subie Tech on NASIOC:

Ok, for those of you who are having this issue, have your cam gears been removed and reinstalled?

There's a guide pin that aligns the sprocket on the cam and if an impact gun is used in removing the cam bolt, you can oval out the receiving hole in the cam gear which can cause erratic cam timing. I'm not sure if this could cause this particular code, but it's something to be aware of.

Had this code pop-up. It showed once about 6 months ago after a 4 hour highway trip, drove fine/no noises, changed oil & filter and cleared code.. did not come back. Yesterday did 3 hour drive, had it pop-up again. Had it cleared and hasnt come back in 30 miles (oil will be changed tonight)... any ideas on this infrequent and any thoughts on the long drive time causing the light or just coincidence (I have done other long trips without the issue). Not that it means much, but the tank from this weekend is one of my best MPG's yet in the car in almost 2 years of ownership.

Had it pop up again after about 1hr drive.... then car sat for 36 hours and it disappeared? Then popped up again after an hour driving.

When you remove the OCV and/or banjo screen... does the car have to be empty of oil?

• 2 months later...

My car ticks over fine but when holding the engine at ~1,500 RPM it's very rough; the symptoms come and go (i.e. sometimes it's fine).

Fortunately the symptoms appeared whilst my mapper was tuning the car and he traced it to the left hand exhaust cam timing fluctuating up and down which in turn caused the rough idling. The right hand exhaust cam was stable.

If you drive the car then as the engine revs rise the fluctuations disappear. It sounds like a 'sticky' OCV on the exhaust cam.

Does anyone know if the exhaust OCV's are the same as the inlet OCV's?

Thanks.

Telephonewire

• 2 weeks later...
Can this cause premature engine failure?

I don't think so, well not in my case. It was an indication the turbo was on it's way out.

Seems my engine noise IS the turbo. I tap the gas and let go and I hear a metal like flap closing so my wastegate can be tying but it still has boost.

I have a faint tapping noise like sounded like piston slap at occasions but there is no blow by, smoke, consumption, all oil looks fine (it's fairly new so metal shavings would show.) and coolant is fine and all there.

Either the turbo is on the way out or the tranny (which just went 6K ago through a flush.

My code still turned out to be the timing belt stretched one tooth over.

Archived