LegacyGT.com

HELP! P0021 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Advanced

D-2.5-GT

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was getting the P0021 with Cobb's Stage 1, Stage 2 and now got the same thing with PDX's custom map. So seeing PhilT's misadventures and his datalogging, I decided to do the same thing. So here a run little run in which I get quite a difference between the OCV duty left and right.

Am I due for new OCVs? If the car is still under warranty you think I could get them for free? (Don't know how to explain to the dealer how I knew it was the OCVs that were defective though! without telling him about the AP).

If the dealer option is a no-no, can I order online or I still have to buy from the dealer?

ecuExplorer 13-09-2008 20h03m05s.pdf

Have you had any other symptoms, rough idle, stumbling at low rpm ?

How many miles on the car ?

You may have a hard time getting them done under warranty, depending how many mods you have done.

The cheapest I found them was through Jeremy at KoP, half the price of what the dealer charges here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving home today the P0021 CEL appeared for me. I am at 73.5K miles. I have not data logged the car yet to see if this is the case, but from everything I read, chances are good that I am going to have to replace the OCV's too.

I took them out and cleaned them, and changed the oil and it still came back.

The tip on bending the bracket worked great, but man that is a beefy bracket.

• 7 months later...
Would you ever see this code (P0021) with cylinder misfires? I'm getting the rough idle when coming back from high rpm's, but my AP is getting cylinder misfire codes as well..

• 3 weeks later...

ahhh...

ok i just threw the the P0021 code. sounds like everyone is cleaning/replacing the OCVs. CEL came on at about 60000. i cleared it with the AP and was fine for another ~1k miles. today CEL came on again with the rough idle.

noob question...i tried logging with my APv2, but when i click to log, the AP says its not logging :confused: and does the AP pick up the necessary parameters anyway for this problem?

update: well i took out the driver's side OCV, cleaned it, and threw it back in. let the car idle for about 10 minutes and everything seemed fine so i went out for a drive. didn't really make it 1 block until i started getting the rough idle. stalled 4-5x. threw some misfire codes to boot.

just ordered two new OCVs from FredBeans (I thought they were cheap enough to warrant getting both) and they'll arrive here tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
I was getting the P0021 with Cobb's Stage 1, Stage 2 and now got the same thing with PDX's custom map. So seeing PhilT's misadventures and his datalogging, I decided to do the same thing. So here a run little run in which I get quite a difference between the OCV duty left and right.

Am I due for new OCVs? If the car is still under warranty you think I could get them for free? (Don't know how to explain to the dealer how I knew it was the OCVs that were defective though! without telling him about the AP).

If the dealer option is a no-no, can I order online or I still have to buy from the dealer?

Where do you guys get the cables from the OBD2 to PC?

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/obd-cables/obd-ii-cables/cable-j1962m-right-angle-to-db9f-4-3-ft.html

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/4/142201_700x700.jpg

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

The Part # for the OCV is 10921AA020

The right side OCV was a struggle to get it out past that bracket, but it did come, I think I loosened off the bracket first.

Thanks for the part number....

Search on eBay for a VAG com cable, about $15

Does it matter if it's USB or Serial? Just wondered how the software is written for the ecuEXPLORER.

thanks! And please forgive all my newbie questions.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had the symptoms: CEL (P0021), rough idle, hesitation at tip-in. Pulled the Bank 2 (driver side) OCV out and cleaned it with WD40 - didn't seem to work.

Replaced OCV the next day ($95 from local dealer). Car runs like new, CEL never returned. Old part was noticably stickier than new. Likely the passenger side will need it in the future.

Installation notes: Easy to replace - just a 10mm socket and possibly a small flathead to help with the wiring harness. You will need to pull a coolant hose off the head to get the part out, so best done when the engine is cool. A little oil will leak out of the OCV socket so make sure you wipe it up so you don't get smoking. The passenger side looks a bit tighter, so I can see where you might need to bend the bracket.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
yeah...so i'm a late bloomer and i own a 08 lgt with about 19k and i have the same problem with the CEL p0021. i can see what you guys are talking about and i want to change it but don't know what OVC means or stands for. a little help please? also is the part # the same for 08 as previous models and was that part # for fred beans?

I'm getting p0011 every time i turn my car off then back on. I can clear it and it will stay off until i restart the car. I'm at over 100K, gonna try cleaning the ocv's tonight. If that doesn't do it does anyone think i might be because i haven't changed my timing belt yet? I'm not driving the car now, and gonna order the new belt and water pump from fred beans.

Archived