LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

So the days are closing in, and I have a few things in mind before I go out there like a noob (who am I kidding, right?).

I saw BMB posting on a thread somewhere about tire pressures (each case is different to different tire size etc) and I'm curious as to how to go about that.

Would I be gauging it off of weather, not even care about it, or some secret formula out there, or say eff it and run 10psi on all 4's are pray for the best :lol:

I'm still on 215/45/17's which is stock tire size, and I believe those are 33 front and 35 rear, something like that. Would I go up in pressure to accelerate quicker, yet, lose grip on turns, or add more pressure to the rears and less to the fronts?

(I have no idea what I'm talking about) Any help would be great.

Thanks,

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forget what tire brand/model you said you are on, but you want enough pressure to prevent roll-over. My rule of thumb is to start at 40psi, with the sidewall chalked and start letting out some air after each run to see if grip increases, but not too much that the tire starts rolling over and rubbing off the chalk. Since all tires are different, some may like a lot higher pressure than others. if you are just running a mediocre summer cruising tire, it generally will want more PSI since the sidewalls will be soft.

I'm running a ....mediocre UHAPS tire (Nitto Motivo) for now, so starting at 40psi wouldn't be an issue. I will set my suspension to a stiffer setting once I'm there, and maybe play around with pressure later into the day.

So, I'm back from autox. I'm hooked. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/aa778f1698dd8e333166585872c3f30a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/e8ce0a4bed63ed7d72f75ba57cad7189.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/8a850c558769a6dfafe261a94f2e6507.jpg

Things I noticed. My tires suck major ass. Looking at something more dedicated. May look for spare wheels.

My brakes did fine, so I can't imagine how nice stainless lines and brake booster brace would be.

I ran 30 psi in my tires by the end, but had understeer.

I'll be doing more suspension tuning and stickier tires.

Things I noticed. My tires suck major ass. Looking at something more dedicated. May look for spare wheels.

I'll be doing more suspension tuning and stickier tires.

I told you your tires were garbage.:lol::);)

In ASP you are gonna want hoosier A7, but if you need to stick with a street tire, the Bridgestone RE-71R is the current tire of choice in ST.

^as wide as you possibly can fit.

I was able to do a 255/35/18, but it was tough. you will need some prerequisite parts and a precise wheel offset to make it work. Also if you are truly hooked on autox, and want some consult on what you need to make your car as competitive as possible, PM me and we can work on a very targeted setup.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I managed to get a low mileage VF52 and a Perrin inlet for it. I will be looking down the road for a TMIC, and if the same seller still has his Perrin TMIC, I may snag that as well.

Also, discussing elsewhere, I was being told that a stiffer rear suspension setup and softer front will help the car oversteer rather than understeer.

Any fact to this?

^don't get the turbo, it will put in Street modified class, and you will never be competitive there. Do a TMIC though.

If you have understeer issues, BUY BETTER TIRES

understeer = a loss of front end grip. thats what you need to focus on, putting grip at the front end. if you make the rear stiffer, you will reduce rear grip, not make the front grip more. you only do this if you are playing with balance, but that's after you have dealt with tires. Dont put the cart before the horse. If you make the car more twitchy, if will be harder to control at the limit and you will not learn to drive better.

Also, discussing elsewhere, I was being told that a stiffer rear suspension setup and softer front will help the car oversteer rather than understeer.

Any fact to this?

Lots of fact, although you don't want oversteer. You want your car to be neutral. Very few autocrossers that I've seen set their Subies up to oversteer.

Whatever set of springs you have is already softer in the front than rear.

FWIW, the amount of money you will spend on that vf52 and TMIC will more than cover for a set of amazing autox duty street tires. that needs to be your next mod.

still on 17 rims - get these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR7RE71RXL&tab=Sizes

the best/stickeiest 200tw tire you can get. it will transform the car and push the limit far beyond what a novice can drive. this means say goodbye to understeer as you know it, and say hello to grip.

• 1 month later...

So, this Sunday is another race day, and it may rain, but I'm gonna have to do a few things before. I will be adjusting my front camber to near almost -2.0 degrees and leave the rears around -1.5 just to see what it feels like. I am yet to install any of the turbo upgrades, but I'm going to hold on to those for when it's needed as a maintenance item.

Last time I noticed I had tons of tire roll over, so I will not only adjust camber, but run a stiffer setting for rear suspension and softer up front. Tire pressure, I may do F30 R35. Only want to do this so the rear end can be picked up a little easier. (in theory)

Thoughts?

So, this Sunday is another race day, and it may rain, but I'm gonna have to do a few things before. I will be adjusting my front camber to near almost -2.0 degrees and leave the rears around -1.5 just to see what it feels like. I am yet to install any of the turbo upgrades, but I'm going to hold on to those for when it's needed as a maintenance item.

Last time I noticed I had tons of tire roll over, so I will not only adjust camber, but run a stiffer setting for rear suspension and softer up front. Tire pressure, I may do F30 R35. Only want to do this so the rear end can be picked up a little easier. (in theory)

Thoughts?

A tiny bit of toe out in the front is good for autoX, bad for a race track.

You can experiment with an 1/8" toe out on the front.

I know a guy who runs so much toe out on the front and back of his dedicated autox car he can't drive it on a track at all.

You likely need a lot more air for your street tires. Buy some chalk sticks, put 4 marks around the circumference of your tires running from the tread down the sidewall. You have enough air when the chalk rubs off the tread marks but the sidewall ones don't. That will tell you howfar down the sidewall you are running.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Buy some chalk sticks, put 4 marks around the circumference of your tires running from the tread down the sidewall. You have enough air when the chalk rubs off the tread marks but the sidewall ones don't. That will tell you how far down the sidewall you are running.

I sorta do that already only with a bit of a different method. I painted the letters on my tires white, and that gave me a great idea of how much sidewall was being eaten up by hard turn ins. Not only does it look cool (think classic white-lettered tires on cars in the late 60's to early 90's) but it also gauges the sidewall well.

Another thing I was going to mention was, would it be a bad idea if I bought a bag or two of ice, and after a heat, place said bag of ice on tmic? I usually just pop the hood and let it breathe, but figured cooling the tmic to a lower temperature would be nice.

Archived