LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not in ESP class.

EL Headers don't solve a problem you have. Nor does meth. You need to get power on the ground as soon as possible and keep it. That is suspension, tires, setup, driving technique (in reverse order).

This is, usually, where I say you're doing it wrong. A fast driver in a slow car is always faster than a slow driver in a fast car, unless silver states race.

EL headers solve a weight problem. really, any tubular header will weigh less than the cast iron OEM manifold ends.

The trick in ESP in genera for the legacy GT is to try to get your weight down to about 3100lbs or less if possible. then maximaize stage 2+ performance, specifically spool, and then maximize traction(diffs) and front end cornering(suspension setup and tires).

since the LGT cant corner like a miata, traction and acceleration need to be maximized.

How hard is it to get the LGT down to 3100lbs, isn't that ~300lbs of weight loss? Seats are fairly heavy, I could see about 60lbs in savings just going with airbag-less/manual front seats.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

How hard is it to get the LGT down to 3100lbs, isn't that ~300lbs of weight loss? Seats are fairly heavy, I could see about 60lbs in savings just going with airbag-less/manual front seats.

The official thread on this, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/weight-reduction-thread-138486.html , was negated when the OP went postal on all the values.

Here's FPerron's lightening list (2990lbs): http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3784892&postcount=91

Some of those items are illegal to do in ESP. That's why i said about 3100lbs for the LGT in that class.

my car was 3277lbs on corner balance day with really no weight reduction mods other than an empty trunk. Seats and bettery would have gotten it to the high 3100's, and if i did a single tip exhaust, and lighter wheels, it would have been really close to 3100 dead.

I was just reading the list of rules for AutoX, and I'm a bit unsure which class I would fall into. My wheels place me out of the Street class, and I guess onto the Street Touring class.

I don't have any body modifications that would interfere with anything as far as I'm aware of (carbon lip) and suspension wise,

Koni shocks

Swift springs

Cusco rear sway bar

Kartboy solid endlink rear

AVO bracket brace

Perrin solid endlink front

Energy sway bushings front and back

OEM LCA bushings

However, I'm seriously trying to finish my mods to the suspension of the car. Not only maintenance, but performance.

Whiteline, or OEM tie rods

Right wheel bearing

Cusco front brace

Cusco steering rack brace

and camber bolts for front and back.

Maybe the Whiteline rear camber adjustment (KCA399)

So, this still makes me unsure of which class I'll fall under.

Just checked again, and it does concur to Street Prepared. Guess that will allow me to focus on suspension and improve that. Maybe some weight reduction along the way.

I removed the heavy lip I used to have, and snagged a discontinued carbon lip (not that it matters, but I'm genuinely happy about it.

I might take it to the shop and see if anything can be done.

SSCA classing is annoying, I wish they were more like NASA. This is where I save myself the trouble and just class my cars as Street Modified, but I autox for fun/personal experience and not really to be competitive. If I wanted to be competitive I would get a Miata or something else small and short wheel based, everything else just puts you way out of class once you make it decent.

Here's FPerron's lightening list (2990lbs): http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3784892&postcount=91

That's pretty awesome, that's a very short list of items too, I would have to remove a ton more then that on my Nissan to get it down similar amount of pounds.

22 Ascent STOCK

Based on your profile, you have a stage 2 tune. that kicks you out of Street touring.

You are in E-Street Prepared

In STX you cannot change your boost maps(boost increase). Your UP/DP combo is not ST legal either.

I must've missed if it was the catted or catless Invidia DP. You just need 1 cat in ST. Moot point though b/c the EBCS moves him to SP.

SSCA classing is annoying, I wish they were more like NASA. This is where I save myself the trouble and just class my cars as Street Modified, but I autox for fun/personal experience and not really to be competitive. If I wanted to be competitive I would get a Miata or something else small and short wheel based, everything else just puts you way out of class once you make it decent.

NASA-X is good for a casual autoxers. The SCCA built its rules b/c they have the big national events. Also, the closest NASA-X to me is at VIR.

NASA-X is good for a casual autoxers. The SCCA built its rules b/c they have the big national events. Also, the closest NASA-X to me is at VIR.

Valid point. The closest NASA events for me is at Summit Point, but I believe its only road course and no Autox. SCCA has events within 30min of me so I end up just racing with them when they are in town

It's just sad how easy it is to get out of class, heck even crash bolts will put you out of class if your car didn't come with them originally. This is why Miata's and even Subaru's have an advantage over other cars. Subaru comes with camber bolts stock, and Miata comes with fairly adjustable front and rear suspensions stock.

22 Ascent STOCK

For sure.

Campaigning a car for auto-x national events can be really involved.

Unfortunately, with the twins in STX, the legacy's best classes are either D-street or E-street prepared. So either you can mod your car at all, or you have to drop $10K+ to be competitive in a class.

For sure.

Campaigning a car for auto-x national events can be really involved.

Unfortunately, with the twins in STX, the legacy's best classes are either D-street or E-street prepared. So either you can mod your car at all, or you have to drop $10K+ to be competitive in a class.

If competing was cheap, everyone would do it.

Buying a miata was likely the best decision I made about racing. I've gotten 2 seasons out of a set of tires & brakes. With LGT, that was 2 days.

It's just sad how easy it is to get out of class, heck even crash bolts will put you out of class if your car didn't come with them originally. This is why Miata's and even Subaru's have an advantage over other cars. Subaru comes with camber bolts stock, and Miata comes with fairly adjustable front and rear suspensions stock.

It certainly can be. There's a lot of crap in the SCCA rules that I don't agree with that NASA-X gets right like the driver's seat allowance. The common argument is that any allowance the SCCA gives to a class automatically makes it a necessity to win that class, that is of course if you have the right car.

Speaking of the right car for the class, the LGT is probably moving to ASP next year. It was in a fast track some time this year. The ESP muscle car guys keep bitching about AWD allegedly. ASP is an awful class for the LGT, even at the local level when you have to contend with quite common EVOs, STis, & WRXs. Then you have some also rans which are faster than the LGT as well.

Little different question here, but could you bend a steering rack?

I'm trying to locate the reason my steering wheel wobbles at 58 to 68mph, and I can't find it.

All lca bushings replaced (albiet, some were difficult to remove and called for excessive force, not done by me, to be pressed out) new front solid endlinks, new right shock, rebalanced wheels, new tires, new left bearing, new right axle (problem occured after bushings were installed.)

Hence why I'm targeting my bushings again. What should I do in terms of asking my shop to recheck those bushings?

Not that it matters too, but fsb bushings are new as well.

from article:

#13113 AWD Cars Move to ASP Comments

Delete the following listings in

ESP

:

Eagle

Talon Turbo (all) (1989-99)

Mitsubishi

Eclipse Turbo (1989-99)

Subaru

Impreza WRX (non-STI) (2002-07)

Delete the following listing in ASP under Subaru:

Impreza GT, WRX, WRX STI (2008-13)

Add the following listing in ASP:

Eagle and Mitubishi

Eclipse Turbo and Talon Turbo (1989-99)

And change the following line in ASP from:

Subaru

Impreza WRX STI (2004-07)

to:

Subaru

Impreza WRX

all incl. STI (2002-14), Legacy turbocharged (2004-2014), Forester XT (2004-2014)

Archived