LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

have you looked on tirerack lately? if you search under 2004 wrx STI you get alot of the wider 5x100 wheels. one of the ones listed is the Kosei K6R 17x9 +42 for only $169 per wheel at 18lbs. Also the enkei tuning tenjin 17x9 +45 also for $169

they also have the kosei k3 18x8.5 +50 19.1lb wheel at only $129. thats is an amazing deal.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the BFGoodrich GForce Comp 2 or the Cooper RS3, or the GT Radial Champiro? I've seen all 3 with good prices and overall good reviews. Any opinions on those?

^they are not autox level tires.

Here is your autox Street tire short list.

Bridgestone Re-71R

BF Goodridge Rivals S

Kumho V720

Dunlop Z2 and Z2 StarSpec

Hankook RS-3 V2

Toyo R1-R

Autox R-comp list

Hoosier A7

Hoosier A6

hankook Z214 Soft

kumho v710

BF Goodridge R1 S

If its not on my list, dont bother getting it for autox.

• 3 weeks later...
^they are not autox level tires.

Here is your autox Street tire short list.

Bridgestone Re-71R

BF Goodridge Rivals S

Kumho V720

Dunlop Z2 and Z2 StarSpec

Hankook RS-3 V2

Toyo R1-R

Autox R-comp list

Hoosier A7

Hoosier A6

hankook Z214 Soft

kumho v710

BF Goodridge R1 S

If its not on my list, dont bother getting it for autox.

Wish I had any of those for this event. For the 5 runs, I maintained a solid time of 55 seconds. Didn't cut time, or gain time. Really frustrated me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Ygpq2gup8]Texas Region SCCA Event #4 - YouTube[/ame]

Had fun regardless. I set my front suspension softer this time than last time, and worked a bit nicer. Tire pressures were 40psi fronts, and 50psi rears.

I did get 2nd.......out of 2......lol. We'll see how next event goes. I'm really practicing on my hand positions for now.

You won't be able to learn much from that camera perspective, only if you are getting close to the cones on the driver's side. I've seen people knock cones over with their camera mounted there.

Put the camera on the roof right above the center of the windshield or over your left shoulder.

So...At work, and reading up some stuff. Since this is also the daily, and I'm 100% aware I'm not making gobs amount of power, I've been thinking about my TMIC setup, and stock location turbo. To prevent as much possible heat soak coming into the TMIC, has anyone done a mixture of a wrapping the headers and downpipe with heat wrap, and using a turbo blanket, along with a heat sink on top of the turbo heat shield?

In theory, this would not only prevent heat soak onto the tmic, but also let the gas molecules in the turbo to flow quicker, and throughout the exhaust.

Please tell me I'm way over my head, or if this is a odd, quirky project I should try. (Results may very, but sounds plausible enough to work)

there's always this:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/bclaeys/Chimney%20Duct/ChimneyDuct-Impreza003.jpg

Wish I had any of those for this event. For the 5 runs, I maintained a solid time of 55 seconds. Didn't cut time, or gain time. Really frustrated me.

Had fun regardless. I set my front suspension softer this time than last time, and worked a bit nicer. Tire pressures were 40psi fronts, and 50psi rears.

I did get 2nd.......out of 2......lol. We'll see how next event goes. I'm really practicing on my hand positions for now.

agreed with SA about the camera perspective. put in on the roof center line and point it to the nose of the car so the horizon is on the upper portion of the frame.

Why are you up-shifting so much? Keep the trans in 2nd gear for the whole run expect for the start obviously. i know you have a 5eat, but you need to keep it out of 3rd as much as possible, and dont downshift to 1st either.

agreed with SA about the camera perspective. put in on the roof center line and point it to the nose of the car so the horizon is on the upper portion of the frame.

Why are you up-shifting so much? Keep the trans in 2nd gear for the whole run expect for the start obviously. i know you have a 5eat, but you need to keep it out of 3rd as much as possible, and dont downshift to 1st either.

Here is my run with the camera on the roof centered. This run, I had two cones.....on the final turn just before finish. Other than that, somewhat ok.

Regarding the shifting, I ran out of second gear on one section, and then on some corner, I wanted to shift to a lower gear in order to accelerate a bit quicker out of the corner.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMlprJXg28]Texas SCCA Event #4 run 2 - YouTube[/ame]

you hit those 2 cones because your line was off and you got on the gas too soon like i told you earlier was a bad idea.

you are very late in your slaloms. This is partially due to your crap tires, but mostly due to you timing being off. you need to turn faster and earlier, as if you are gonna hit the cones with your rear tire.

I bet you would be faster if you don't down shift to 1st. the time taken to shift is almost always more then the time you think you will be slower by if you dont.

you hit those 2 cones because your line was off and you got on the gas too soon like i told you earlier was a bad idea.

you are very late in your slaloms. This is partially due to your crap tires, but mostly due to you timing being off. you need to turn faster and earlier, as if you are gonna hit the cones with your rear tire.

I bet you would be faster if you don't down shift to 1st. the time taken to shift is almost always more then the time you think you will be slower by if you dont.

I noticed the slalom bit. I'm trying to figure out my speed and line when taking them.

Regarding the last 2 cones, I know. I saw those two coming before I took that corner.

• 1 month later...

Updates.

I ended up skipping two events because of stuff I had to take care of, but in the meantime, managed to get some stuff done. I got a second hand set of Hankook RS3's and made a rear diffuser and sideskirts (Won't do anything at all on small courses like these) for fun. Next upcoming event is the road course at Texas Motor Speedway, so I'll be dialing in a few things when that comes up.

I'm pretty sure there's no allowance in any class for rear diffusers. You might catch some flack for that depending on what it looks like and who you beat.

People generally DGAF about illegal mods, until you start beating them.

Not huge. qf90pops0Tyn79MbCo59nLmCYGW5ZnKUQ3qr8L0Ov2M?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

I also checked into the rules for ASP and doesn't really mention them being illegal. If anything, move me to a different class. I don't think I'll be beating anyone, unless the RS3's really show they're potential against my current tires.

Not huge. qf90pops0Tyn79MbCo59nLmCYGW5ZnKUQ3qr8L0Ov2M?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

I also checked into the rules for ASP and doesn't really mention them being illegal. If anything, move me to a different class. I don't think I'll be beating anyone, unless the RS3's really show they're potential against my current tires.

If the rulebook doesn't specifically say something is legal in a class, it's illegal.

You're looking at Modified for a diffuser. I don't mean street mod, I mean this:

http://cdn-3.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/400000/450000/456000/456100/456103/s6_96913/scca-prosolo-feature-2014-jeff-kiesel-e-modified.jpg

When I was still thinking of running the wagon in a/x, I was talking to a couple of the fast guys about adding aero. They told to look up the "Phantom".

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads9/Amodbbr1164813288.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-autocross-track-racing/317278-911-engine-special-x-car-print.html

• 1 month later...
Took your advice and pulled the trigger. 17x9 RPF1's on BFG Rivals. 12141524_10208274585370933_6897321608817558146_n.jpg?oh=07c25869fb3d82cdf99c707c2d036566&oe=56D0350D

Those look so good that I'm putting 17x9s with the 225/45s on my "what are my next wheels/tires going to be" to do list! Most likely I'll go with 18s and closer to OBXT diameter... but LGT diameter with the OBXT 4.40FD is sure fun. Hadn't considered this, but seeing these, it goes on the list to ponder.

Archived