LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

I guess I'll make an update.

I'm slowing down racing for this season. I have too many things going on and I can't do them all. I'll probably be up and running for the 2017 season. Getting married here in 60 days, and my main priority is my wife to be, and my job.

As for the car, I'm in mid fabrication of a front splitter that I need to mount to the frame, and the works. I'm trying to make it as adjustable as possible. I already made a mock splitter using cardboard to get the shape of it so that I can cut out the real one out of aluminum.

Let me know if you're interested in seeing pics of that.

Other than that, things have slowed down, but it's ok, it's for the better.

Here's the mock out of cardboard I made over the weekend. The lip itself extends 3.5" over the existing lip that I have, for a total of 5.5" from the actual bumper. Like I mentioned, I don't want to go very aggressive into the splitter in terms of size, but I'm debating on making air dams on the fronts of the wheel wells and attach it to the splitter. It's a possibility but unlikely. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. Obviously I'll catch some flak for it, but it's all in good fun and learning experience.

http://i.imgur.com/EUQmT65.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RKMucSA.jpg

Just a note. Street Prepared allows the splitter, but it's not allowed to protrude further than the bumper itself. I believe this is as viewed from above, which means it cant protrude further than the furthest point of the bumper. It appears that yours does. If your local club is lax, then go for it. But if they aren't...make it smaller, expect a protest, or move to SM. Great job on the effort so far though.

Car looks good.

Do you race on the Contis?

Is there a difference in splitter design for something like Autocross (generally slower than a track)?

Technically, yes. I'd like to think so. Top speed on my car on a course would be about 5k into 2nd gear, which is close to 60-65mph. Things typically need to be bigger, and lower IMO. I've been talking to some of the guys at the track about it, and they're nice enough to add feedback.

Thinking of adding any bumper bracing in the front? Seems like that could really catch a lot of air, and it's a long way out in front of the closest mounting bolts.

Definitely. It's going to be frame mounted, and mounted to my skidplate as well. The 2 splitter rods will be mounted to the bumper, nearest the inside section of the fog lights.

Just a note. Street Prepared allows the splitter, but it's not allowed to protrude further than the bumper itself. I believe this is as viewed from above, which means it cant protrude further than the furthest point of the bumper. It appears that yours does. If your local club is lax, then go for it. But if they aren't...make it smaller, expect a protest, or move to SM. Great job on the effort so far though.

Car looks good.

Do you race on the Contis?

SP classed cars do allow them, and yes, aware that they should not extend past the bumper. Right now, it's shy of an inch ahead of the front most part of the bumper (thank God for fat faced USDM bumpers) and talking with some of the officials in my region, as long as my competition is ok with it, then I am fine with it.

As far as my tires, I do use my Conti DW's for racing. Only I change the camber dramatically. From -1.6 fronts, to about -2.8 using the top camber plates, and H&R bolts. I'm looking into purchasing rear camber plates as well for the rears. I have the Whiteline bushings but yet to install them.

The Contis hold up fairly well, but last event, I unfortunately had a H&R bolt slip, and cause my camber to shoot up to -1.2 and cause a lot of rollover.

Here's the result of that. The driver side started digging into my fender on some corners, and all in all, it was a shitty wok day. At least I took home first still, but by .041 seconds. I roasted the sides of the tires, and rotated them since then.

http://i.imgur.com/BOmMD40.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/cLkcenV.jpg

Here's one of my runs from that day. Very easy to see my mistakes.

Nice.

More right foot!! Look ahead! Closer to the cones! And like stoplight said, if you aren't hitting any cones, you aren't trying hard enough. Sometimes you have to hit them to know where they are. ;)

Keep it up.

Nice.

More right foot!! Look ahead! Closer to the cones! And like stoplight said, if you aren't hitting any cones, you aren't trying hard enough. Sometimes you have to hit them to know where they are. ;)

Keep it up.

When I'm back up to racing in my car, I'll definitely use more gas. I think that's what let me win this event more than anything. That last slalom, at the right speed and feathering the throttle, you can exit out of it rather quickly, and floor it to the finish with no errors. As far as my competition, I know my torque numbers are a bit steeper than theirs.

When I'm back up to racing in my car

when are gonna drop those crappy contis already. RE-71r if you want to stick with streets, or go full hoosier A7 as the class demands.

I quoted myself. Lol. The RE-71's look promising though. Few of my friends are running them.

The parts where you had to adjust your line sort of mid-corner ish. Was that where "look ahead" comes into play?

That's what I was referring to. But it's really more "think ahead."

Some of the best instruction I've ever had was when they had us turn away from the mini course and speak it all the way through forward and reverse in Evo school. Then had us talk our way through the course at speed. Some of the words that come out of your mouth are garbage, but that's okay as long as you're thinking. They would switch everything up and have you speak through it and run it with no walk.

X2 on the re71rs. I just picked up a set for my autox car. Looking forward to them. Been running z2s over the last 3 years.

Last year was star specs. Others were just z2, befire the ss came out. They were good. But I don't have the budget for multiple tire testing, so no direct comparisons They wore really well. But this year I'm foregoing the longevity in hopes that the Bstone will be as fast as everyone says. And if they last a season, I'll be happy. I'm not whoring out the car this year, so that should help.

Hahahahhaa. I'll be doing a lot of every day driving this year. I'm going to dual drive with my brother and his Mustang in CAM-C. That should be interesting.

(AWD on 245's, to RWD on 285's)

I jumped on the rwd bandwagon this year. Spent several years in a semi-prepped sm evo with 285 z2s w/ 400whp. Last year was in my mazda 3 in stf. This year will be esp in a g35 I picked up last fall. 275s were the widest re71r available.

The G will never be a daily. That gets in the way of autocross priorities. ;)

Archived