LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

I'd love to pick up a Saturn Sky or a Solstice GXP. Haven't read a whole lot into them, but same chassis and decent little turbocharged engine. Seems like they are a fun and VERY underrated car.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 2 solstices locally. One is supercharged in SSM. He was stupid quick back when he ran Rs. Now he's running streets and hating it, but the car is still wicked fast. Keeps having supercharger issues though. The other runs Street class. Both appear to be fun cars.

The G was just a great deal that fell in my lap after I co-drive it. Had to jump on it. I was planning to do a fox body mustang ESP build. Soft spot for the fox body for some odd reason. It's better this way. I'd spend years fixing the ancient suspension on those things.

I don't do racing, though maybe I'll give the autocross a try here... But I hope you don't mind I use your ride as inspiration :) I absolutely love your exterior setup in terms of aesthetics, did you build the rear diffuser yourself?

I don't do racing, though maybe I'll give the autocross a try here... But I hope you don't mind I use your ride as inspiration :) I absolutely love your exterior setup in terms of aesthetics, did you build the rear diffuser yourself?

Everything has been built by me using a friend to supply materials. The diffuser, skirts, and wickerbill.

As I posted on the previous page, a splitter is being made, and I'm sending my cutout to my supplier today so he can let me know a thickness of the material, and then cut it out. I'm estimating it'll all be said in done by the end of the month. I need to order the splitter rods this week or next week.

Everything has been built by me using a friend to supply materials. The diffuser, skirts, and wickerbill.

As I posted on the previous page, a splitter is being made, and I'm sending my cutout to my supplier today so he can let me know a thickness of the material, and then cut it out. I'm estimating it'll all be said in done by the end of the month. I need to order the splitter rods this week or next week.

I'm still waiting for the roof flaps to keep you from flipping when you spin out. cause *cough* nascar *cough cough*

:hide:

I'm still waiting for the roof flaps to keep you from flipping when you spin out. cause *cough* nascar *cough cough*

:hide:

Hahahaha, I open up my sunroof for that, and use it as a flap!

You wouldn't happen to have an old 245 or 255 40/17 re71r laying around?

no. got some old z2ss on my MX5 id like to get rid of for the RE-71rs though ;)

just to illustrate the difference between the 2 tires. if you look up the 2015 NJ pro-solo results in STR on SCCA.com, i was the fastest non Re-71r/rivals S car there. Mark Dudek who came in 4th, drove my car in the afternoon on the 1st day( his times were DSQ for those runs) and could do no better than my times. But when his car was fixed for sunday, on the re-71's, came in 4th. so the re-71's were worth 1 second per side over the z2ss. that is a huge margin.

just scrap the contis, and put them on those wheels.

thats what i'd do in your shoes. i wouldnt even think twice about it.

On 200 wear? That'll last a year for me.

Good luck with the splitter, are the skirts just for show or do you actually have any aero gains from them?

On 200 wear? That'll last a year for me.

i guess you rather have the tire be the bottle neck for your AX times then.

if you are serious about autox, yearly tire purchases is the norm.

i went through 2 sets of tires the first year in my stock 170hp mx5. my fisrt year running the legacy gt back in 06 in ESP i barely made it 1 year on 1 set of 180TW tires before i went to r-compounds.

the main point is, the conti's are the #1 thing holding you back aside from driver skill level. having the right tire is worth every penny you spend, as far as run times are concerned. everything else on the car depends on you having the right rubber.

Good luck with the splitter, are the skirts just for show or do you actually have any aero gains from them?
I'd like to think they're just aesthetic. They even out the side underbody panels maybe...by .0001 margin they help.

i guess you rather have the tire be the bottle neck for your AX times then.

if you are serious about autox, yearly tire purchases is the norm.

i went through 2 sets of tires the first year in my stock 170hp mx5. my fisrt year running the legacy gt back in 06 in ESP i barely made it 1 year on 1 set of 180TW tires before i went to r-compounds.

the main point is, the conti's are the #1 thing holding you back aside from driver skill level. having the right tire is worth every penny you spend, as far as run times are concerned. everything else on the car depends on you having the right rubber.

Unfortunately, with my budget, that's a no can do. I definitely understand where you're coming from and definitely know the main drawback in my racing. Maybe I'll borrow a set and see how they do.

no. got some old z2ss on my MX5 id like to get rid of for the RE-71rs though ;)

just to illustrate the difference between the 2 tires. if you look up the 2015 NJ pro-solo results in STR on SCCA.com, i was the fastest non Re-71r/rivals S car there. Mark Dudek who came in 4th, drove my car in the afternoon on the 1st day( his times were DSQ for those runs) and could do no better than my times. But when his car was fixed for sunday, on the re-71's, came in 4th. so the re-71's were worth 1 second per side over the z2ss. that is a huge margin.

And your cars are similar builds?

1 second is pretty big if it's just tires alone. Any downsides to the RE-71Rs?

both cars are prepped to the STR class limitations, which are very restrictive. his was a S2000 APv2. i beat his co-driver in his car who is not that good a driver.

no real downside to re-71r from a performance perspective other than wear. if you are doing this kind of driving, tire wear is the last thing on your mind.

If you do 10-15 events a year, the tires will last a year on the lgt. if only a handful of events, they may last 2 years.

Aside from the comparison to the Z2 (and only becuase I do not have the experience on both compounds yet), I agree 100% with whitetiger. Tires are #1 priority.

Id expect a second or so just from swapping the Contis to Z2s or even RS3s. Then possibly another second with a jump to re71rs, if what everyone says is true. If you're serious about racing every year, a set of tires needs to be in the budget every year. If you're lucky, they will last long enough into the next season to get a sneak peak at what new tires you maybe should consider by watching others before you buy. Otherwise you buy what was great last year (that's me this year).

Are you in a class with guys running R-comps? My local non-SCCA club has a street tire modifier that I will run in ESP. The pax factor is actually better than STU in my case ;) But when I go down to Devens to run with NERSCCA, PJ is going to mop the floor with me, and likely everyone else in ESP on R-comps will too...

Quick question,

How many of you are still racing on the LGT?

probably not too many at this point. there really isn't a good class for the car anymore. D-street maybe, but the wrx's do better there. all other classes, the lgt is out-classed hard. the move to ASP killed it really. IMO the LGT is better in DSP.

I figured so. The only reason I'm in ASP is because of my EBCS. I was also reading both of Sgt.Gators threads, and looks like for near stock power, he advises against an AOS?

Archived