LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

Could this in anyway have played a part into your original issues?

So based on my previous post, I would say that while this wasn't a direct cause for past issues, it helped me uncover something that almost certainly was in the timing.

Perhaps this was the Panda's way of communicating with me to look at the timing belt and tensioner before the 105k service....

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like maybe you were getting a little bit of unexpected timing retard on one bank (less belt tension = pushing rope once you get past the crank), which could explain why everything but the butt dyno said things were good. Just spitballing (like usual), but it sounds good.

Guess we can add OEM timing belts to the list of things that don't like 350 +WHP/350+ WTQ...

So I guess my list for maintenance grows even longer lol. I'm at 66k miles now so I suppose when I do my clutch I will do the timing belt and related hardware. Should I pull the heads and do the gaskets too, lol.

I figured on pulling it out to get the clutch done and do the timing belt as well. I was semi joking about the head gaskets...but it may not be a bad idea. If I could afford it, I would do the sti cams, sti valve springs, smooth the head ports, redo the heads, arp studs, and better hgs. But that would be a long list of just parts nevermind getting the work done...I would have to rent a car for a week too lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In order to spare those who might just be stumbling on this for the first time, I think my low-power issues can be attributed to several main factors:

1) Boost leak from compressor outlet - charge point connection

2) Valve timing retard caused by stretched belt, worn tensioner, and likely belt jump by 1 or 2 teeth

3) Partially stuck TGVs

I believe these were the main issues and things that happened after were secondary, minor, or offshoots of these. In retrospect, my diagnostic approach would have been (after checking things like the DAM, good fuel, extremely obvious leaks) a boost leak test, a hot compression test, if that was satisfactory, a leakdown test.

I think where I botched was in the hot compression test. I only had it performed cold and we saw low cylinder pressures, but they were all consistent within 2 PSI so we attributed the low pressure due to being cold when in fact, it was also due to the timing being off. Of course the leakdown test would not show issues because the valve are fully closed and that test does not account for full piston cycling. Ahhh, the clarity of hindsight :cool:

I do hope that for all the woes I've experienced, it provided some helpful pointers for others and that as a whole now our little clan here is all a bit more informed. I know I am.

Edited by jackal8788

I feel like I've heard you say you figured out the power loss before...hope you got it this time buddy!

Goodbye to Jackal's troubles!! (fingers crossed)

I appreciate that ebo3! I think part of the problem when I thought everything was resolved before is that the car was down SO significantly on power due to the boost leak and TGVs that when those were fixed, it pulled pretty decent. Couple that with the fact that I really don't get on it very hard very often so my frame of reference for how it should truly react was not very clear.

Maybe a takeaway for me here is that I need to make WOT a more frequent occurrence :lol:

It's unlikely the belt would skip on both banks, and that should then produce different cylinder pressure result bank to bank. I doubt you'd see lower than expected pressure on all four. Good result from changing the belt and tensioner though!
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

So......I had anticipated having the EWG header by this week (actually, I anticipated having it 2 weeks after I placed the order on January 29 as I was quoted...:rolleyes:) but as time marched on, that date slipped and slipped. Further discussion today reveals that the timeline has elongated a bit more and it is supposed to be Monday, 3/21.

I'm a patient guy but that's going to be almost 8 weeks if it actually is ready on Monday so you may wonder, has my patience reached it's known limit?

Is GTEASER the Rainman of our little community?

Stay tuned....

I think most of you young ones missed my reference. He scored Mrs. Robinson.

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20160317&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=Dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=66.234.199.109&pvaid=ee151f745f594c7883a1f4b20748ab30&dt=Desktop&sid=1830193568.3962961282718.1458225479&vid=1830193568.3962961282718.1457115001.4&fcoi=417&fcop=topnav&fct.uid=cf8cad7c80e34709a53424107cb8bc2e&fpid=27&en=0WEFU%2FZhSoTF%2FFm%2BpLeuVl4UPZzISdzyg%2BaGYj7N8ISb7M1aTnzzgA%3D%3D&du=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F97%2Ff3%2F92%2F97f39289b10a6bd2d6f3671c2df9b5b3.jpg&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F97%2Ff3%2F92%2F97f39289b10a6bd2d6f3671c2df9b5b3.jpg&ap=5&coi=772&cop=main-title&npp=5&p=0&pp=0&ep=5&mid=9&hash=B7154C5D99907CD100E29EE785A56955

Just finished reading through this entire thread over the last week. Wow.... what a ride! And a really good education. Thanks Jackal for chronicling it all and sharing it with us. Btw, I love all the initiative you've taken with this... no lip service, you get stuff done.

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk