LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with TiAL and they confirmed that the ~21 PSI cracking pressure I saw in my static test of the wastegate was correct and that with the added backpressure of the exhaust on the face of the valve, it should be very close to 14.5 PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet another piece of my puzzle fell into place yesterday with the arrival of this fine piece. After discussion with fahr_side, I've decided to tack weld the flapper door as opposed to using a bracket. That said, I'm wondering the best place to do this. I know I can obviously tack the door itself but I'm wondering if tacking the actuator arm instead might be a little easier to 'undo' if I ever sell the turbo to someone who doesn't want EWG.

Thoughts?

Any insight as to why you will be going with welding instead of the bracket? I ask since I have already purchased the bracket.

Any insight as to why you will be going with welding instead of the bracket? I ask since I have already purchased the bracket.

Bracket seems easier.

Agreed. I was actually looking at the Grimmspeed bracket but I wanted to get more input on it before going forward. fahr_side noted that they see the brackets loosen up due to thermal expansion and while it may not necessarily cause a leak, it rattles and makes noise.

Agreed. I was actually looking at the Grimmspeed bracket but I wanted to get more input on it before going forward. fahr_side noted that they see the brackets loosen up due to thermal expansion and while it may not necessarily cause a leak, it rattles and makes noise.

Damn. I might have to make it a "make sure it's tight" every oil change type of thing.

I see you went the no f*cks given route. :lol:

I just used a bracket to hold the arm in the closed position.

Indeed I did. Unfortunately, there have been too many mishaps and hiccups (no Subara Stutter pun intended) and I am in extra-critical mode to ensure everything goes right this time. Just ask fahr_side.... :)

The welds look good. The exhaust heat should have no effect on the welds. Thanks everybody for clearing up the whole ewg thing for me.

Just so I am clear Jackal. You are having a waste gate put into the manifold you are getting correct?

That's correct. There will be a dump tube welded in where the runners merge at the collector (just before the 3-bolt turbo inlet). The WG will reside on the end of the dump tube. In this way, any exhaust gas that enters the turbine housing is 'appropriate' since the WG will have metered out any excess.

Ditto. I don't expect it to be the best in terms of efficiency (I've seen the previous version and the runner merge really doesn't look good) but for what I need, I think it will work just fine. I am also having it ceramic coated so it will take slightly longer but at least it should be reasonably durable. Hope to have pics within 2 weeks.

Damn. I might have to make it a "make sure it's tight" every oil change type of thing.

Sorry jojorios, I missed this yesterday. From what fahr_side said, you shouldn't get leakage with your bracket but it may loosen enough once it heats up to rattle a bit. The thing is that once it cools back down, it will essentially be tight again.

You probably won't even notice if it did rattle a bit - after all, these are Subarus :lol:

For the time being, I will not be plumbing back into the downpipe. We'll let it dump to atmosphere and see how loud it really is.

Loud is a relative term but I don't think you'll be overwhelmed by the wastegate dump especially with the windows up. You will certainly know when it opens. My point of reference is an EJ with UEL header and EWG. Those can be ear ringers.

Here's my setup after it was tuned December 2014.

In a very apples to oranges comparison, here is my brother's Shelby with long-tubes, catless X pipe, and Corsa Sport mufflers. Makes an EWG Subaru seem quiet. I was the one recording it and the audio can't even really capture the sound. It's pretty blistering.

That Shelby sounds sweet

4 more cylinders sure adds to the sweet sounds! By the end of the year he plans to build the engine, add cams, and go with some louder mufflers. The current mufflers on there are mild at idle and part throttle. He's looking for a set of Borla Atak mufflers, which are loud 100% of the time.

Edited by ebo03

I keep thinking about my little 'hiccup' situation here and one thing is puzzling me. I get that a disruption in fuel delivery could cause a little hitching but would it necessarily cause my boost to drop instantly? Part of me is picturing the piston of the BPV in a not totally stable state since it just rapidly went from boost to vacuum to boost again. If it was shuttling or still reaching a stable closed state, boost could take a momentary dip as well yes? Could be totally off here too so call me to the carpet.

Anyone try a synapse synchronic bov? Recirculating or vta relative to your tune obviously.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

blklgt05 uses the Synchronic in full recirc. acumenhokie uses one on full VTA.

This is the route I am going to for a full recirc setup when I drop the dime to upgrade the BPV. I believe that you must have the RacerX charge pipe though, it won't fit in the stock location.

Edited by GTEASER