LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

Folks, today was almost a day where I could have added some potentially major drama to bust up the monotony of the last 3 weeks. On my way in to work travelling at ~60 MPH, the Camaro in front of me suddenly veered hard to the right. Before I even had time to react or see why, I caught a glimpse of something black zip under my car and heard a resounding 'clang' as it connected with the skid plate, then the sound of it dragging as I slowed down.

I pulled over and inspected the car - no damage to the bumper cover whatsoever and other than a healthy gouge and small dent in the skid plate, no sign than anything happened. Had I not upgraded to the Primitive plate (3/16"), I could have possibly destroyed better than $2500 worth of goodies.

Primitive Racing FTW!!!

This should be Primitive's new marketing pitch.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! The potential for heart stopping drama was strong with this one. You should send that pic into Primitive, along with a pic of the gouge/dent.

Fully agree! I just sent Paul (owner of Primitive) a note on this along with a link to my post. He absolutely deserves a shout-out!

I'm not sure how important it is in the non-bottom mount turbo subies, but in the 5th gen and 15+ WRX, and others with bottom mount turbos, it should be a mandatory mod

True, but I have one of these, and I'm rather fond of it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=225085&stc=1&d=1455930030

It's not $2500 in parts, but it's still a cool piece, and it's been Swaintech coated, so I'd like to keep it pretty. I know I need the plate, I just keep forgetting about it since it's outta sight, outta mind.

Jackal's story a great reminder that shi*t happens. Some witty phrase would be appropriate here, like: It's not about luck, it's about preparation.

Just saw Jackal's post on the Primitive FB page.

Wow, he didn't waste any time posting that! When I e-mailed him my kudos, he responded back asking if he could use my posting and I said 'absolutely - I want to share my positive experience.'

It's refreshing that sometimes good news can travel as quickly as bad. We need more of that...;)

Wow, he didn't waste any time posting that! When I e-mailed him my kudos, he responded back asking if he could use my posting and I said 'absolutely - I want to share my positive experience.'

It's refreshing that sometimes good news can travel as quickly as bad. We need more of that...;)

Edit: I just visited the page and read his post - I see he may have taken a small liberty with my quote as he uses the terms 'upgraded turbo, uppipe, etc.' Silly uppipes and their inhibition of fast spool :lol:

If you guys want to make a list of names, I'd be glad to act as a go-between just to contact him and see if he's willing to offer a GB discount. I know when I called him for mine a few weeks ago he indicated he would be increasing pricing soon because he's held it steady for quite awhile and raw material costs have gone up.

Note that there are some different options in terms of cutouts that he offers on the bottom. I personally went with no cutouts to offer maximum protection, but the downside is that I have to take the plate off when I want to change oil. It's 3 bolts and comes off in about a minute though so I don't have any qualms about that. Besides, it means I can admire my non-damaged turbo and header that much more clearly every time I'm down there :)

Edit: I decided to just e-mail him and ask anyway. Doesn't hurt to know and that way if he won't do it, you guys don't have to waste time making a list. I'll post back as soon as I hear from him.

Edited by jackal8788

You're the man Jackal!

If he comes up with a minimum required for him to sell I'll be happy to do the legwork of starting the group buy thread and all the followup's etc...

Thanks Chris! Below is the exact response back from Paul and he does indicate that the point man (or woman) will receive a little extra discount for their effort. Since you volunteered, I'm glad to pass over the reigns to you on starting the thread, communicating with Paul, etc.

His response with pricing below:

Hi Joe,

I do very occasionally do GROUP BUYS, under these parameters:

I deal with ONE PERSON who orders the group of plates.

For each plate I get: year/model/engine/trans + any mods like UP-PIPES, OIL PANS, etc that could affect fitment.

Also if they want 1/8" or 3/16" (no other options available, nothing custom) and each person's NAME/ADDRESS/PHONE

and if they want a rear diff cover added or not.

I make a quote with shipping to each individual recipient.

That same one person collects the money and then makes a single payment to me at the time of the order.

I give that one person an additional $30 off their personal skidplate. Minimum of 3 frt skidplates.

Pricing:

3-5 plates 1/8" $179 3/16" $219 + shipping

6-9 plates 1/8" $169 3/16" $209 + shipping

Rear diff cover, 3/16" +$89 with any front plate (+ shipping). Pe

Edited by jackal8788

Please be careful how you guys handle this GB effort on the forum. We have rules here to protect our forum vendors who pay for vendor status here. You may want to send a PM to SBT to get his take on it. He also has the current list of approved vendors.

Awesome news, let me pass this by the powers that be on this site and I'll get a thread up asap!

Edit:

For all those interested, I've reached out to SBT to get his ideas/blessing. if you are interested please just shoot me a PM indicating you're interested. please dont shoot me any personal info or questions.

If approved I'll start a thread and everything will be done out in the open in one place so its easy to follow. I will also find out if this will only be for 5th gens or for all models so we can include others as well.

Edited by ChrisCrash
Addl Info

I've already got enough interest for the first round of pricing, one more and we're in the second tier. Just waiting to hear back from SBT but from previous conversations with him I think we're good. Either way I'll be doing it and quickly.

Jackal thanks again and sorry for jacking the thread, once it gets going maybe the mods can remove these posts since they're irrelevant or move them to the new thread.