LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking more like this. The wicked Jackal of the east. The Panda will eventually get tired of your constant tinkering.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah113/BBPeik/jackal_zps4fzzxrpd.jpg

:lol: Love it! Yeah, I think this latest 'episode' was its less-than-subtle way of telling me I should've left it alone. I'm hoping it realizes now that EWG and the 18G billet turbo are really blessings bestowed upon it by a most loving owner and that it decides to just chill out and abide for little while.

After more thought today, I've decided to try out the 'revised' Six Star header. Factors that drove this decision are as follows:

- Current forum users are running headers they have made successfully so it does have some very limited field data in terms of being able to support the turbo, not warping or deforming significantly, etc.

- Having my car down for a week to allow for a custom job is going to be challenging.

- Six Star claims an 'improved' design. While I don't know what that actually means, I am hopeful that it has longer individual runners and a cleaner merge.

- Costing appears to be neutral between their unit and what I can have made up. That could potentially become unfavorable for the custom header if problems occur.

Ultimately, I realize it will not be the fine piece that ETS makes but at the end of the day, I doubt that any deficiencies in it will be worth much more than a few percent penalty in performance. I'm also not doing this try to get the car right at the limit of what it can safely handle. I want reliable boost control. Period. Since there are probably 15-20 pages of this build thread and copious amounts of cash that were liberated from my savings due to poor boost control, I'm sure this doesn't come as a huge surprise.

Verbatium from fahr_side the last few pms we yossed back and forth. Im sure he doesmt mind me sharing...

Its a VF-54 / TD05H-18GTX hybrid. All new guts with mix of genuine MHI and Taiwan parts, nothing from China. The company who makes these for me also makes parts for other big turbo companies so the compressor will look very familiar

Edited by s2baru

That is indeed an 18GTX. We had also tried traditional cast 18 and 20G wheels in this application and found this flowed as much air as the 20G while spooling earlier than the cast 18G. Remember this engine is severely limited by the exhaust cams, so while it is possible the cast 20G could flow more on test stand, on a BR9 it did not.

I liked this wheel so much I had my own BNR16G upgraded with one, resulting in a best of 345whp on the puny Perrin TMIC and meth.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Note that is on my WRX, with the taller exhaust cams. Elegua did about 335whp on his BR9.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That is indeed an 18GTX. We had also tried traditional cast 18 and 20G wheels in this application and found this flowed as much air as the 20G while spooling earlier than the cast 18G. Remember this engine is severely limited by the exhaust cams, so while it is possible the cast 20G could flow more on test stand, on a BR9 it did not.

I liked this wheel so much I had my own BNR16G upgraded with one, resulting in a best of 345whp on the puny Perrin TMIC and meth.

So would we need tuning for the sti cams or could they be dropped in and run on stock tune or stage 1? These are the 07+ STI cams correct?

The duration and lift is changing but I don't think anything else is I would think the tuning for benefit would be the case. In any case I am planning on a new clutch pretty soon so I may throw in a few "maintenance" parts while the engine is out. I would love to have cams on that list it would probably help the spool come on earlier and stronger.

Exhaust/intake timing is one of the key components for tuning. Being that our cars are dual avcs gives us even more of an advantage. Forgiving more air&fuel in along with getting in out more quickly with the extra lift makes a word of difference. Think of just a mild cam in an older v8, some of those literally drop in an gais are nearly instantaneous. There's more variables on our cars with co puters nowadays and the accessport so I'd tell you to go for it.

I can literally "feel" the car open up once I get around 2.5-5k rpms the pedal literally wants to go to the floor with ease it seems. Ill drop a dyno graph here and you see what what I'm describing. Granted I don't have atock sti cams, mine are a bit more aggressive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-RZ_r2vcFjvT0FOM2l2cWhmd00/view?usp=docslist_api