LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

now if I could only channel this into something that would make me money...:lol:

The TEASER will tell you how :cool:

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone was wondering, I haven't been on the dyno with this yet - not sure when that will happen. For the time being, my tuner is dialing things in with my datalogs. My impressions thus far:

- 18G spools up nicely. Definitely quicker than the 20G

- EWG is LOUD!! Holy F! However, it's also still at the point of being fun and amusing rather than obnoxious (at least to me. Claim doesn't apply to other motorists, bystanders, passengers, etc.). Don't know how long that will last, but it's a blast right now

- The exhaust note while cruising or at lighter throttle is very similar to what it was with the stock header. It definitely does not have an unequal-length rumble or anything like that. It's maybe a little throatier but overall not much different

- I get the feeling this turbo would sound pretty sweet when it really starts spooling but all I can hear is the EWG belching burned corn so that will remain a mystery to me :lol:

I'm currently at about 20 PSI and we are working the boost up incrementally so another couple revisions should get it pretty much finished off. Overall, I am absolutely thrilled to have the car at this state and to not be diagnosing an issue or waiting on parts. I have no doubt my little saga will continue here, but I'm crossing my fingers that we don't have any major plot twists for awhile now :cool:

Think you can get a sound clip? Also, any thoughts on powdercoating the ewg for longer life?

Let me see if I can get something on my ride home tonight.

As for powder coating, do you mean on the actual valve housing itself? If so, I don't think it's necessary, at least if you buy a true TiAL product and not a knockoff. They use 347 stainless steel for the valve housing, which is very corrosion-resistant. Power coating typically isn't recommend for applications higher than ~400F - I'm guessing you meant ceramic coating?

I didnt think the top housing would be necessary but I was unsure of the bottom wastegate portion, and definitely ceramic. Im not too familiar with the TiAL products but 347 is definitely high grade so I guess no worries there!

Congrats on the new piece, definitely makes me interested if I need to correct any boost issues when working with my new DP this winter without porting.

Curious... do you have the undertray installed?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Curious... do you have the undertray installed?

As of right now, I do not. We are going to put a dump tube on the wastegate outlet in a couple days and depending on how that looks, I was thinking about trying to cut out a portion of the undertray. If that doesn't work, I will probably buy a Primative plate and cut out an area for the dump tube to exit.

Any thoughts on either of these plans?

You really want to run a pan, as that is key to efficiency in both radiator and intercooler.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nice noise btw. Until it gets old ;)

Sent from a device using some software.

As of right now, I do not. We are going to put a dump tube on the wastegate outlet in a couple days and depending on how that looks, I was thinking about trying to cut out a portion of the undertray. If that doesn't work, I will probably buy a Primative plate and cut out an area for the dump tube to exit.

Any thoughts on either of these plans?

IAG cut holes in the stock undertray when they installed the ETS manifold. Even with the holes, the plastic had slightly melted around the dumb tubes. After having the EWGs for about a month I ordered the Primitive skid plate. It's a quality piece.

IAG cut holes in the stock undertray when they installed the ETS manifold. Even with the holes, the plastic had slightly melted around the dumb tubes. After having the EWGs for about a month I ordered the Primitive skid plate. It's a quality piece.

Thanks for the response here and in the Primitive thread. If you're not having any issues, I may also just try running it with no extra hole cut for the wastegate dump. One less opening in that plate just means more protection for all the goodies above it.

And if there needs to be a hole, the hot exhaust gas will cut one anyway.

Sent from a device using some software.

Just for the heck of it, I snagged a short datalog on my way home from work tonight and compared it against a log that I took shortly after my original stage 3 tune. I had to re-install Virtual Dyno so some of the settings may not be correct, but as a way to at least get some more quantitative picture of the output, this paints a pretty significant (albeit depressing) picture.

I also checked my DAM again tonight and it is now at 0.9. I haven't had a chance to do the plugs and the compression test yet - planning to do it Wednesday. All that said though, I'm starting to become more concerned that this is a bigger issue than just plugs. Anyone want to reassure me or offer other possible thoughts...please??

Not sure if anyone remembers this post (from my original low power issues some 30+ pages back), but I took a datalog this morning on the same road and adjusted my Virtual Dyno settings back to what they were at the time of the original post just for relative comparison. Power for all tunes is likely reporting low due to the settings in VD I had at the time and the road where I do these pulls, which is a mild uphill.

You can see that the 18G/EWG combo is putting down more power than the 20G/IWG combo at 2 less PSI (peak). The orange graph is from when I was on the stock turbo, 93 octane and a Logan McDowell tune.

One thing to note is that from this, the 18G spool would appear to be slower than the 20G - this is not so. The reason is that I didn't go WOT as quickly today as I did with the other logs so I'll try to catch one where I drop it right at 2000 RPM instead of closer to 2900.

Capture.JPG.940f4ed5405f62e6ab6214bcc70a4e82.JPG

Edited by jackal8788

I would really like to see an 18G boost curve posted next to the stock curve - I'm curious how well it spans the gap between stock and the 20G.

Almost 50 pages (and let's not mention how many dollars) later, I got my answer :lol:

Not to continue inundating this thread with boring data and charts, but this does genuinely interest me and perhaps some of you will enjoy it as well. Here's a boost curve comparison between stock, the billet 18G, and the 20G. Recall that the 18G does also have the addition of a different header and the external wastegate so this isn't 100% apples to apples.

Note that we are still making a few minor tweaks to the map but it's pretty much dialed in. I'm having some issues with Virtual Dyno right now but when I have it working, I will plot out the power curves like I did in my previous post.

Capture.JPG.cc3abe6c90a8299fb8ec4066685be513.JPG