LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gonna have some words with the second machine shop that finished the heads.

Three of the four time-sert placed in the plug holes are not flush. A plug would never seal on just the rim of the insert. Probably off by 1/16 or more.

I'm on no mood for this kind of sloppy work. Since presidents day is just a federal holiday I'm assuming they will be answering the phone in the morning.

Installed Windage tray, Killer B Pickup, oil pan, coolant nipple, oil pump, water pump... Today.

Need to buy:

Hardware to mount the motor. Nuts for the motor mounts and Full new kit for the motor to Diff. Some were munged and also I just can't find them.

Hardware to attach the flexplate to the converter. Same here... Munged and can't find em.

Probably tossed both knowing I should buy new.

Still haven't picked a oil pressure gauge or send unit. I do have a rear galley hose kit ready to go.

Need to dig up the free range hose kit now to continue.

Edited by kzr750r1

I bought prosport boost oil pressure and oil temperature gauges but really can't find a way I like to mount them. I'll sell them to you for the price I paid for them. PM if interested.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

LOL, No. I'll possibly get the heads back Friday. Looking for part numbers right now for Diff to engine bolts.

Could not find them while at Subaru this morning. Had to order the water jacket crossover orings, not included in the block seal kit.

They did have the reference for the flex plate to converter bolts and we found the studs no nuts.

Need these and a load of clamps and some fuel hose and I can keep building.

Target install weekend is the 7th of March if nothing else gets in the way.

BTW it was as I suspected. Rob Jr got a Rob Sr foot in his ass to redo the time sert install. 1 out of 4 are not good odds for him either.

Edited by kzr750r1

I should have snapped a shot of them carting my heads back into the shop.

Overhearing them across the shop I could hear Jr say... "I told him this was how they turn out." Sr was having none of it. Jr blamed his install tool... Or the fact he didn't counter bore correctly... I just smiled and said 1 is perfect... The other three not so much. Sr gets me and will make it right.

Just curious - how much time/effort have you invested in this? Did you think about paying someone else to do it? Anyone in the Bay Area you would trust?

I'm not saying you personally should have - I just know that, even if I could learn to do this given enough time, I already don't have enough hours in the day.. If I can't find someone local, my "default" plan is Mike @infamous. Plus maybe a built 5EAT from Hexmods..

@ hadvw - I haven't really started a thread. But my engine broke right after new years. CEL with a misfire in cylinder 4 which was the result of a broken ringland (and once the engine was a part the bearings were worn down to the brass). But it seemed like there are a couple options around here. LIC and FW Motorsports. I had my leakdown and compression done at LIC. They were a great bunch of guys very knowledgeable and friendly.

However, they will only install parts that you buy through them. That means for what I wanted done my rebuild would have been in the $10k range.

I didn't look into FW. At that point I was tired with it and didn't want to try and "vet" anyone new. Mike@infamous has been very active on these forums and I think I know his rebuild philosophy.

A similar rebuild to what I wanted from LIC for 10k was 8k with Infamous. I shipped my car down to him ($400ish) and will be flying down this Friday to pick it up. It will be a month from me finding out an issue that needed to be fixed (engine gone - Ringland shot and bearings worn down) to picking up my car.

Like you said the biggest issue is time (also space). I don't have the time or space. Following the rebuild threads here, anyone who does it themselves it takes months.

Doing it yourself seems to be a labor of love that (unfortunately in my case) didn't make sense for me to do.

I am jealous of those that get to do this themselves.

Edited by Rhitter

Not all rebuilds take months. I rebuilt my motor in 3 weeks, it takes a lot of dedication working on it at night and weekends. The longest part of my build was shipping the shortblock down to a builder in L.A., and waiting 1 week for it's return. The only other issues if a part where to break during the install, the additional time it took to track it down and have it shipped. My rebuild cost less than $6k. (recondition block, CP pistons, balance, pressure tested heads...etc)

1 month is very doable as long as you have done your research and made your contacts.

Edited by FJuan
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny part. I drink waaaaayyyyy less than I used to.

Well see about install date when I get the forking heads. Dude didn't call me today.

Spent better part of the day with the daughter instead. Kid needed cloths.

Saturday depends on if practice happens. Sunday should be full day engine assembly.

I still need to buy some clamps. Will get that done this weekend.