LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the response.

Japanese law requires the child to be in a child seat until the age of six. So, I thought I would invest in a child seat that can carry and hold a infant all the way up to the age of seven.

Or should I invest in a travel type of child seat, which will come with a stroller, but will only be up to the age of 3 or 4?

I have a Ergo baby carrier, so I thought I wouldn't need a stroller for a while.

I've been on Amazon and other sites looking at reviews but most of them are broad and not specific to a legacy. That is why I thought I would get some inputs from people who actually drive and had a child/infant in their legacy.

Also I have leather seats, so should I cover the seats under the child seat so it won't scratch it?

Thanks for any more inputs.

It's tight in a fourth gen, but you get used to it. The door opening is small. They make car seats that go from newborn to several years old, however they are pricier and are limited in options. It's nice to change up after a while too, as these things can get 'used.' Lol

Seat covers are debatable too. It's not so much scratching as it is the dents. I use a lionheart one. Check your local laws and car seat mfg guidelines though. I don't see an issue personally, if they are installed properly. Do some research. There are tons of websites that specialize in this info.

Here's a hot tip: Baby bottles with milk are a great way to keep kids from screaming on drives. However, if they throw the bottle and milk seeps into deep crevices around the seats then the car will wreak for months of rotten milk. This happened to both of my old vehicles.

Since then, I've put down "doggie car seat covers" that are waterproof and food proof.

Kid was so tired that he walked into the door coming in the house, sat on the floor but forgot to he was trying to take his shoes off, said "Dad, im so tired" and started crying. Not bawling but just tears. He really wore his little self out that day. Slept for 4 hours instead of his usual 1 hour naps. Kids...

• Moderators
I installed mine in the center (Wagon) I agree it's the safest position and it was verified by a certified installer granted it was 9 years ago.

You can agree that it "sounds" safest due to distance from the side of the vehicle, but I don't think its the case. Something about the vehicle twisting during a crash is why you shouldn't put them in the middle of our cars IIRC. It goes against the manual to install in the center, beyond that do your own research I guess.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

It is a royal pain to use the middle seat of a 4th gen with an infant removable car seat and base. I'm all for safety but if it is a huge inconvenience everyday I have to strike a compromise. The same goes for switching my kids forward facing before the "experts" recommend. Sanity improves safety, too.

Good point BMB on dispelling a one size fits all attitude on car seat installation.

Back on the popular diaper genie topic: This past week, I tried putting the poopy diapers in an outside garbage instead of the diaper genie.

Sadly, my German Shepherd found them and ate them. I love dogs but damn can they be gross. (same day he also ate a full grease tray from a gas grill)

When installing the seat am I looking to install in the middle or sides of the backseat?

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/babies/child-seats/child-seat-5.jpg

i always had my first in the middle, it gave more room to get things situated. once the twins were born, it was either side and the oldest in the middle

edit: when my kids were that young, i had old cars. three car seats will fit across the back seat of a 1980 cadillac and a 76 impala. i doubt you could even get a car seat to sit level and proper in a rear seat with a middle hump. that is all.

I guess this is the most appropriate place for a rant/questions regarding kids. First, I would like to say I have no kids by choice. My GF has a close friend who is staying with us for the Thanksgiving holiday (week) with her 5 year old daughter.

Generally, I get along with kids just fine. I think they are hilarious and fun to be around, but sure they have their moments of crabbiness because they can't self soothe very well yet. I get that part.

My question/issue is that this 5 year old is driving me nuts. The mom tells her not to do stuff but doesn't really follow through with any punishment.

Example: I am sitting on the couch and she walks by and out of the blue smacks me in the head (this has happened more than once, and fairly hard for a 5 year old girl.) The mom tells her not to do that, but there is no consequence. The kid just laughs and walks away. Last night I bbq'd a tri tip, asparagus, and potatoes. The kid sees me in the kitchen and says loudly "eeew you're gross stop touching my food!" I told her if you don't like it, don't eat it. 10 minutes later we are all eating and she gets up, walks over to me and plucks an asparagus spear off my fork and says "thank you" and shoves it in her mouth. Mom sees it and asks the kid about it, but again no consequence. Telling adults to be quiet, telling them they are ugly, or stinky, turning up the tv really loud because adults are talking and she can't hear it.....

These are only a few of the things going on, it's constant and I guess I'm having a hard time because I don't feel it's my place to do much other than a light verbal correction.

They made plans for the day and I just told the GF I'm not going to any of them. She was like WTF but I don't want to be around this kid anymore.

Any advice for a guy? I mean seriously, when I was a kid this behavior and backtalk to adults would not be tolerated at all. Am I just a crabby old bastard?

TL;DR Guy without kids can't handle a friend's kid. Need advice.

• Moderators
Suck it up. Sounds like it's temporary and you're not going to have any success changing things in the short term as long as the mom continues with current behavior. She sounds like a pushover and that kid is probably gonna suck forever.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Uhhh, yeah, that kid has no fear for a reason: no punishment. But that ain't the problem here...

You need to tell your GF what you just posted here: I don't want to be around this kid anymore because you and your friend let her disrespect me in our own home. You gotta solve that before discussing the kid and her mom...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I agree 100% with LegGTLT. You at least have to explain to the GF why you aren't participating. Can't likely change the sh*tty behaviour, but you deserve to not be disrespected in your own home. Ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys (and gals) and even you Laff:)... I needed to get it off my chest even if just to type it out. Funny thing is the mom is an officer in the Air Force. I thought discipline was implied. They are out for the day now, likely not back until evening. Thanksgiving we're doing separate with our own families, and they do day after Thanksgiving sales which should wipe out most of Friday. Deep breaths, deep breaths...:lol::lol:

I agree 100% with LegGTLT. You at least have to explain to the GF why you aren't participating. Can't likely change the sh*tty behaviour, but you deserve to not be disrespected in your own home. Ever.

Yup, 100% with JJ and Legwhateverletterslookright. And, depending on how your GF reacts, you may learn that you don't want to have kids with her...

And, in other news, all is right with the world, 'cause THIS is back in the house.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/1d419537fa0b22c2405ec6db61fa7a8f.jpg

Archived