LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
How old is he? I'm not looking forward to that, nor the transition to a toddler bed.

He's 2yrs8mos. Look forward to it, it's not that bad and having him crap in a toilet is awesome. We just did it over this last long weekend (on the potty every 30 minutes) but he really seems to get it now and is doing well. He was definitely ready though.

We actually moved my son straight from a crib to a twin sized bed (it has 3 full sides) when he was under 2 years old, 22 months I think. It wasn't that bad and we didn't see the point of an actual "toddler" bed. My son is a bit ahead of the curve with things though, and extremely eager to learn. He's been talking in full sentences for I don't know how long. It makes him a total handful sometimes, but for the most part it's really rewarding.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That's what I hear! That first week is tough, however we also have daycare to help reinforce it.

As far as the bed thing, he's 23 months now, and I think he's ready if he had to be! He's not trying to escape his crib just yet, nor is he hating his crib (he will sleep an easy 12-14 hours)... so it's not on our radar just yet. He already has nap time at daycare every day, and they just sleep on cots on the floor (and has been since he was 14 months), so I don't think the lack of crib sides will be a concern. It's more of the thought that he can be wandering around at night. Again, he likely wont, but it's just a piece of mind issue.

As far as moving him to a twin bed, his crib actually converts to a bed, and it came with the toddler rails, so we have that as an option... We joke that his furniture is nicer than our own bedroom furniture. Nice stuff. :)

• I Donated Too

My nut ball 2 yo son has been escaping the crib since he was barely 1 and a half. We gave up trying to fight him and just removed the rails and replaced with a safety rail/net thingy.

We once forgot to lock the front door and found him playing out front in the driveway in the cold. Scary.

We moved the girl to a twin bed at about 18 months. She didn't know how to open a door. We put her crib mattress under the bed and pulled it out during sleep time, so if she rolled out, she'd land on the mattress. First time we put her down for a nap, we checked back in after about 30 minutes. Every item of clothing from every drawer was all over the floor and she was sound asleep in the middle of the pile. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Moderators

Pretty sure laff's and my son sound like similar psychopaths. We turned the doorknob around on his bedroom door so we can lock him inside, lol. Some nights it comes to that, most times it doesn't.

And we also have child proof thingies on the external doors--garage and front door--as he would definitely be the type to open those up and "go exploring."

He's fun though. Extremely engaging and smart as all get out. We did the four day potty training thing, and he went all week at day care with no "at fault" accidents. By the second day he looked at our day care provider and told her he wasn't going to the bathroom every thirty minutes. Since then he just let's everyone know when he needs to go and takes care of business. Pretty impressive. The only accident so far was during a nap time and our daycare provider thought he was just trying to get out of nap time with a potty request--right up until he pooped himself in the middle of nap :lol:

I'm impressed by him as always. I'm sure we'll have some bad days, but honestly I don't think this could have gone any better so far.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm going to be a father soon.

Any tips on what type of child seat I should get?

The car seems a little low, and the rear seats backs are kind of tucked behind the quarter window, so I'm kind of worried about putting the baby in and out of the child seat.

Just an FYI, I drive a stock BL5 GT in Japan.

A bit of a loaded question, as we don't really know what seats are available in Japan. Guessing the seats may be different, as the standards are different.

Here, you need a rear facing bucket type seat for the first year or so (typically). This allows you to put the baby in the car seat out of the car, and then snap the bucket into the base, that stays 'permanently' installed into your car.

This changes at about 12 months (again, check height/weight/age requirements in JAP).

Check amazon for good reviews, and then go a bit further. We really loved the Chicco Key Fit 30. Can't beat it for the price, and positive reviews. Its a few ounces heavier than the other leading models, but that's really the only drawback I can see.

If you buy the carseat within a 'travel system', it often includes the stroller that the carseat snaps into as well (in addition to the base, which stays in the car). You can also buy separate bases if you need it in more than one car (you don't have to buy separate carseats at this stage in the game).

again - check with your local authority for what they require - and go from there. Also - be sure to have a professional check your installation before the baby comes. About 90% of carseats are installed wrong. I've seen people that claim that they know what they're doing, have them installed completely wrong. Putting in a carseat the right way, is NOT for the faint at heart. LOL It takes some torque and patience sometimes. :)

A bit of a loaded question, as we don't really know what seats are available in Japan. Guessing the seats may be different, as the standards are different.

Here, you need a rear facing bucket type seat for the first year or so (typically). This allows you to put the baby in the car seat out of the car, and then snap the bucket into the base, that stays 'permanently' installed into your car.

This changes at about 12 months (again, check height/weight/age requirements in JAP).

Check amazon for good reviews, and then go a bit further. We really loved the Chicco Key Fit 30. Can't beat it for the price, and positive reviews. Its a few ounces heavier than the other leading models, but that's really the only drawback I can see.

If you buy the carseat within a 'travel system', it often includes the stroller that the carseat snaps into as well (in addition to the base, which stays in the car). You can also buy separate bases if you need it in more than one car (you don't have to buy separate carseats at this stage in the game).

again - check with your local authority for what they require - and go from there. Also - be sure to have a professional check your installation before the baby comes. About 90% of carseats are installed wrong. I've seen people that claim that they know what they're doing, have them installed completely wrong. Putting in a carseat the right way, is NOT for the faint at heart. LOL It takes some torque and patience sometimes. :)

Thanks for the response.

Japanese law requires the child to be in a child seat until the age of six. So, I thought I would invest in a child seat that can carry and hold a infant all the way up to the age of seven.

Or should I invest in a travel type of child seat, which will come with a stroller, but will only be up to the age of 3 or 4?

I have a Ergo baby carrier, so I thought I wouldn't need a stroller for a while.

I've been on Amazon and other sites looking at reviews but most of them are broad and not specific to a legacy. That is why I thought I would get some inputs from people who actually drive and had a child/infant in their legacy.

Also I have leather seats, so should I cover the seats under the child seat so it won't scratch it?

Thanks for any more inputs.

When installing the seat am I looking to install in the middle or sides of the backseat?

Whatever seat you put it behind will lot how far the seat can go back. To the point of slight discomfort for the front seat sitter. So.... Passenger seat makes the most sense. Middle sucks as it's hard to get to, and there are no latch points in the middle position.

Latch used properly is the safest way to attach the seat. Just about every car that I'm aware of, doesn't have the latch in the middle. And AFAIK, You CANNOT use the two inner latch points from the passenger and driver side rear seat positions, to secure a seat in the middle position. You have to use the middle seatbelt. Which sucks ass. (In our vehicles at least).

Consult the vehicles manual.

Archived