LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had to get up and not be sleepy at work too. And at the time I made twice his income. We shared the responsibility. 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

80/20 is still sharing :cool:

i did the midnight feedings in my house, she went back to work after a month and i stayed home for about 4 years with them, so i let her sleep. best choice i ever made.

Speaking of story telling, poop, and baby monitors...Mrs and I were gardening when our previously napping daughters voice uttered the words "Uh-oh...poopy..." The Mrs and I had never realized that level of panic could be reached with such a simple phrase. We sprinted back into the house and up to her room to discover why all parents should be supplied hazmat suits. The cleanup of the walls, carpet & crib took about 2 hours plus another 4 hours of repainting her room.

Advice here...be prepared for the unexpected...then be able to laugh about it later.

Cheers,

Mike

Haha that sucks. One of the earliest videos my dad's side of the family has is titled "Sam Pooped". A video of the bedroom, walls and floor covered in poop from my cousin Sam. Its on a reel, old school 70s video.

We were doing yard work last weekend when I see my 2 year old pushing. So I went and sat her on the potty. She wouldn't go. Went back outside and about 20 minutes later I found her with her shorts and underwear around her ankles and she had just finished laying a huge turd in the yard.

Speaking of story telling, poop, and baby monitors...Mrs and I were gardening when our previously napping daughters voice uttered the words "Uh-oh...poopy..." The Mrs and I had never realized that level of panic could be reached with such a simple phrase. We sprinted back into the house and up to her room to discover why all parents should be supplied hazmat suits. The cleanup of the walls, carpet & crib took about 2 hours plus another 4 hours of repainting her room.

Advice here...be prepared for the unexpected...then be able to laugh about it later.

Cheers,

Mike

my twins did that once as well. one of the few mornings they were quiet and didnt wake us up. another time they woke up at 6am, made a tower of toy chairs and got outside, then tried to steal my impala. they had the trunk key in the ignition tho, so it wouldnt start. my oldest woke me up to tell me what they were doing. i wish i had gotten pics of that discovery lol

80/20 is still sharing :cool:

i did the midnight feedings in my house, she went back to work after a month and i stayed home for about 4 years with them, so i let her sleep. best choice i ever made.

No disrespect buddy. My only point was to participate in whatever way works. So many families I know well, the guy never participated in any of the lovely night time festivities and it isn't fair. Good on you for doing what worked in your family!!!! You are so fortunate to have had that time home with them!!!!

none taken, lol. the 80/20 crack was a joke, i used to tell my ex wife that until she got mad. im an advocate of what works, do it. some people are more able to handle the lack of sleep, while others arent. better for that to be known ahead of time, and accepted by both as the way it needs to be.

Another way to the night time parental wakeups & lack of sleep... The Mrs is a night owl...me, morning freak...learned this early on and used it to our advantage for how to handle the kids when they woke up in the middle of the night. Anything before 2 AM, Mrs handled...anything after, I took care. Never kept score and just kept to that routine for both kids. Worked out well for us. Of course, I'm very glad Mrs is a night owl so she can stay up late for when our teenage daughter finds her way home.

Cheers,

Mike

We did something like that when we were both working, and he was still not sleeping through the night.

I am a lousy sleeper. If I wake up for 45 minutes at 2 am, odds are, that I may not ever go back to sleep; or if I did, it would be at like 6am. Just how I am. So, she always took the first shift, and I took the second shift. So if I couldn't get back to sleep, I would just be up early. Very early. :lol:

im a night person myself, i still am awake until 12 or 1am, and have to be up at 430 for work. i hate it usually, but it does come in handy. especially when waiting on teens to get home. my ex was a day person, but she almost required more than 10 hours sleep a night. she would crash at 8pm most of the time, which sucked for doing any family stuff.

We never experienced the 'waiting up till she gets home'. She was just always home. Now, about to start sophomore year away at school, she needs to manage herself. Its just weird - she goes to school so when she is with friends, they've traveled hundreds of miles to see her and are here in our house, so there is no curfew. Now, she's gone to her summer job as a Girl Scout counselor. We'll be lucky to see her all summer.

For the record, it was really fun while she had friends here, to hear them all giggling upstairs. I feel like we missed a bit of that in high school, and now she's hitting her groove.

ive never really given my kids any curfew, but my oldest made me set some time rules when she was dating. otherwise, its more of a guideline. my twins do let me know if they will be home later than normal tho, when they do go out.

We did something like that when we were both working, and he was still not sleeping through the night.

I am a lousy sleeper. If I wake up for 45 minutes at 2 am, odds are, that I may not ever go back to sleep; or if I did, it would be at like 6am. Just how I am. So, she always took the first shift, and I took the second shift. So if I couldn't get back to sleep, I would just be up early. Very early. :lol:

I am the same way. This is my personal nightmare. I woke up this morning at 4AM for no goddamn reason (actually, it was a really stupid bad dream) and couldn't fall asleep again. Zombied through the entire day.

I am the same way. This is my personal nightmare. I woke up this morning at 4AM for no goddamn reason (actually, it was a really stupid bad dream) and couldn't fall asleep again. Zombied through the entire day.

Happens to me all the time man!

I generally rub one out and go back to bed :cool:

I don't like the diaper genie--still smells like shit. We have one, but only put pee diapers in there. Poop diapers go in a grocery store back and just get chucked in the garage--out to the trash can when we go that direction.

This. I have three kids and we learned that a diaper genie is what makes a house smell like shit. We reuse grocery store bags and put soiled diapers, wipes, etc. in them and they go to the garage or trash (outside).

This. I have three kids and we learned that a diaper genie is what makes a house smell like shit. We reuse grocery store bags and put soiled diapers, wipes, etc. in them and they go to the garage or trash (outside).

We pretty much do this now with crisp diapers, but it's still serves a purpose for #1 diapers. Plus, the first year or so, they're shit doesn't really smell yet.

Archived