LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

Alright.... A few of you guys are expecting a baby soon, soooooo... I figured this would be a good thread for some of the more seasoned fathers (and mothers), to share some advice. Also - feel free to ask for advice here!

Anything from what not to waste your money on, to 'must have' knowledge that you feel is essential. A few things have been mentioned here and there, and I know there is a parents thread, but this will be a bit different, and essentially a collective depot of recs.

In the last 18 months, I've likely bought it, read it, tried it, or had it recommended; so I figure I have some insight as well, although I'm a fairly new dad.

I'll start things out nice and easy.

Buy a diaper genie... PeterJmc claims his was a waste of money, but that's because he likes... never mind. The bags can be pricey, but its a small price to pay. You can tailor the size of your bags pending the stink factor. It's a must have for the first year or two IMO.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I don't like the diaper genie--still smells like shit. We have one, but only put pee diapers in there. Poop diapers go in a grocery store back and just get chucked in the garage--out to the trash can when we go that direction.

We use regular trash bags in the genie also, just wrap them around one of the normal insert "collars". Works fine.

I recommend costco wipes and target brand diapers. Both are great. We use brand name overnight diapers though, because wet beds suck.

When you make the crib / bed, make it with 2 or three sets of mattress protector / sheets. If kiddo wets the bed in the middle of the night, you don't have to remake, just peel of the offending sheet / protector and you're good to go.

When you have a baby in the hospital, I highly recommend that the man goes home for a night. Get some sleep. Things will suck for your wife in the hospital no matter what. You not being there might not make much of a difference, but you having some more rest in prep for the first night or two at help will be well worth it.

Don't buy peepee TP's if you have a boy, you won't use them. If you get peed on who cares.

Buy a monitor with video capability. They're awesome.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

BTW, use your head. If it sounds like BS advice, ignore it. Love your kid. Don't yell too much. Stay calm. Get noseplugs. And, again, love the sh*t out of them. Eventually they will hate you for looking out for them, but don't think about that early on. Kids. There is no better reason for existence on earth. Sex doesn't come close (take note CT08).

I had to take some pics of my sons first Meconium poo, something to embarrass him with later :lol:. I do wish the consistency and smell could have stayed the same, the corn chowder type can get a little messy :eek:.

Anyone looking for a new stroller?

I love telling stories! My daughter projectile pooped on me at 3 months old. I'll search for and post the pics!

The first time I got shit on was in the hospital. He was like 2-3 days old. Fantastic.

• Moderators
Don't buy a baby monitor AT ALL and avoid the beginning of being a helicopter parent. Your kid can cry and survive. It's amazing how kids lived without monitors before the 80s.

Owning a monitor does not make you a helicopter / overprotective parent. Being a helicopter / overprotective parent is what makes you just that.

It would be irresponsible of me as a parent to work outside / in the garage while my kid is napping / sleeping without a monitor. So I have a monitor. Doesn't mean I run in there every time he starts hollering.

As far as the diaper genie goes - im a fan. As the kid gets older, and their crap stinks more, it does become more of a smell issue, but those diapers can just go direct to the garbage can. The pee diapers though, are well suited for the DG, as are the pre 12 months diapers in general.

Agreed on the peepee teepee's. We had them and used them, but then realized that you could just put the new diaper over the hazard zone, and have the same effect.

We were told about the mattress protector things, and we used them. However, he only leaked maybe 3 times so far... We just used a good nighttime diaper and never really had that much of a leakage issue. But they aren't a bad idea.

Video monitors are a must. I know people survived without them (arguably less), but why not have one? Being a helicopter parent isn't defined as caring about what your newborn to 3 year old is doing. If you're using the monitor when they're like 7, that's an issue, otherwise, they are a great asset. I would put a video monitor in my top 10. Why fudge on something that could be deemed a safety (and sanity) issue? It's great (especially for new parents) to learn their kids sleeping habits, and when a kids cry actually means they are awake, etc.

I'm also a HUGE advocate for not EVER putting the kid in your bedroom, especially not in your damn bed. This is no place for a child. It also creates an issue that's more difficult to break later. And why punish both parents every time the kid cries? Take turns with the monitor, and let the other person sleep a bit. I cant see any logical reason to use a bassinet in your bedroom.

Don't buy a baby monitor AT ALL and avoid the beginning of being a helicopter parent. Your kid can cry and survive. It's amazing how kids lived without monitors before the 80s.

Right...my wife asks me if the monitor is turned on before I can get to the couch after putting him to bed :lol:. I almost wish we had bought a wifi monitor so I could check him out while I'm on the road for work. Not to hover but just to lay my eyes on him when I cant hold him!!!

I had to take some pics of my sons first Meconium poo, something to embarrass him with later :lol:. I do wish the consistency and smell could have stayed the same, the corn chowder type can get a little messy :eek:.

Anyone looking for a new stroller?

we also have a stroller if anyone is looking :lol: (CT only)

complete travel system actually.

my boss wants to buy us one of these for the baby shower with an extra camera. He got the same one for a womans daughter that works here and she loves it i guess.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SEW-3037W-Wireless-Monitor-Infrared/dp/B00A4K8FX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401813969&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+baby+monitor]Amazon.com : Samsung SEW-3037W Wireless Pan Tilt Video Baby Monitor Infrared Night Vision and Zoom, 3.5 inch : Baby Audio Visual Monitors : Baby[/ame]

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Any monitor rated 4 or stars plus, will be fine.

Im a huge fan of the Motorola monitors, but the sammie is likely fine. They both review well.

In regards to the Motorola monitors, the biggest draw back is, that every now and then you read that someone has a dud right off the back. If this is true, call Motorola or return it to the store ASAP. Problem solved. This never happened to us however.

There biggest issue is the battery life. we ended up buying a second AC power cord for our bedroom (one stays in the living room). Monitor life is about 8-10 hours if you don't look at it often. So for a new born that gets often, you wont make it through the night. From what I understand, all the 'nicer' full color monitors have this issue nowadays.

Owning a monitor does not make you a helicopter / overprotective parent.

Does, too.

Kids lived while parents worked outside without monitors. Evidence? We as a species still exist.

BTW, I just had an excellent nap.

Does, too.

Kids lived while parents worked outside without monitors. Evidence? We as a species still exist.

We also exist after making it through a point in time where seatbelts were a novelty, and sleeping on your stomach was the way to go as a newborn. Why not use technology in your favor. I'm an advocate of a monitor, but am very far from a helicopter parent. Technology isn't always evil sir.

• Moderators
Evidence? We as a species still exist.

I have a different definition of success than simply "existing" :lol:

Culture has changed over the years, women no longer hang out inside the house all day to raise the family. Technology has also played a large role in increased lifespan and reduced infant mortality rates. Embrace it, you old hack.

Archived