LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

I can't believe the stuff some people say with a straight face. They really do think everyone else is just that dumb. My wife's mother has a reoccurring drug habit. She has told me many lies that make me go "How on earth could you think anyone would believe that".

I won't be smoking a bowl with him - not my thing. And certainly not at his age. CB on the other hand... still not at 14 though.

And yeah 05GT, between he and his mother I think exactly the same thing as my eyes roll into the back of my head.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

This is not going well, and I don’t know how to fix it. Friday night, he never came home. CB found him in the car in the garage Saturday morning, sound asleep. Today, he skipped from lunch on, and showed up at 8:30 tonight when the cops were here. It’s a rough road. I’m tired of the lies and yelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah... That's gonna be a tough road. My neighbor tried it with a 15 yo. Caused a lot of stress in that house. Not to say it can't been done, but it'll take some work. And a good chunk of it will be on his part.

This is not going well, and I don’t know how to fix it. Friday night, he never came home. CB found him in the car in the garage Saturday morning, sound asleep. Today, he skipped from lunch on, and showed up at 8:30 tonight when the cops were here. It’s a rough road. I’m tired of the lies and yelling.

He doesn't respect you or your husband because the consequences you dole out are only a mild inconvenience to him. Time to have your husband beat the shit out of him next time he gets out of line. Once he figures out that consequences for stupidity are real, likely, and painful he might learn something.

Since this is not legal anymore (sadly) if your husband is in shape I suggest introducing the young man to USMC style intensive physical training. A few rounds of squat thrusts, mountain climbers, push-ups, and side straddle hops until muscle failure, and vomiting can be an eye opener too.

He doesn't respect you or your husband because the consequences you dole out are only a mild inconvenience to him. Time to have your husband beat the shit out of him next time he gets out of line. Once he figures out that consequences for stupidity are real, likely, and painful he might learn something.

Since this is not legal anymore (sadly) if your husband is in shape I suggest introducing the young man to USMC style intensive physical training. A few rounds of squat thrusts, mountain climbers, push-ups, and side straddle hops until muscle failure, and vomiting can be an eye opener too.

We tried manual labor this weekend- they split 2.5 cords of wood. Then Monday and today he skipped half a day of school (today, he was ‘with a girl’. The sex best have been amazing). He also stole $610 through PayPal. I’m sure he stole some random old device from the house. He was able to change my PayPal password through my email account and transfer the money. Thankfully PayPal is amazing and I am repaid. I’ll never be able to prove it was him. However, sadly, we are done. I’ve contacted the officials and steps are in place to send him back to WI. My heart is breaking. It’s been 7 weeks of constant breaking basic (lenient) rules, and lies. This is not a free ride. We’ve offered him an amazing future, but he has to do the work. Verbally he has said he wants it. His actions repeatedly show otherwise. I am so sad. And I will miss him.

Anyway, thanks all for the support. If you see a crazy story about a teen ax murderer In MD in the weeks to come, I’m sure it’ll be us. Send someone to find us. Joe and TFH know where we live.

You did what you could. If he's introspective enough in a few years he'll think about the opportunity he blew while he enjoys prison. Doesn't sound like it though. He'll just go through the rest of his unremarkable failed existence blaming everyone around him. Too bad for him, but he got dealt a bad hand early and could not overcome it.

Time to move on.

He leaves tomorrow. My heart is breaking, and I’ll be sleeping with one eye open. We laid out very strict guidelines under which he could return (decent grades, decent attendance, and no legal trouble). And in tears (hello basket case, momma Jeni), I begged him to return. Tonight, with the exception of the day my mother died, has been the worst night of my life. He and CB carved pumpkins. At 14, this was his first time. [emoji24]

That boy. Stole all the old iPhones in the house (4-5). A Sonos Play 1. My $700 Pandora watch. He had a weapon hidden under the couch in his room. He lasted 3 nights in the shelter home in WI and ran last night. He left himself logged into FB on my iPad (idiot), so I’ve been following, but also learned who the kid was that he sent my PayPal money to, and that he thought the whole stay here was a joke. He’s off my insurance, I withdrew him from school, and I think it’s (sadly) behind us. We miss the engaged side of him - he was often truly a pleasure to have around. But we are happy to have our quiet, boring, normal lives back. You don’t steal from family. You just don’t. Everything else I could have continued to work with. But not that. Me and CB? We’ll be fine. He? Not so much.

That boy. Stole all the old iPhones in the house (4-5). A Sonos Play 1. My $700 Pandora watch. He had a weapon hidden under the couch in his room. He lasted 3 nights in the shelter home in WI and ran last night. He left himself logged into FB on my iPad (idiot), so I’ve been following, but also learned who the kid was that he sent my PayPal money to, and that he thought the whole stay here was a joke. He’s off my insurance, I withdrew him from school, and I think it’s (sadly) behind us. We miss the engaged side of him - he was often truly a pleasure to have around. But we are happy to have our quiet, boring, normal lives back. You don’t steal from family. You just don’t. Everything else I could have continued to work with. But not that. Me and CB? We’ll be fine. He? Not so much.

You should press charges.

He wants to join FFA (Future Felons of America) help him get started.

The problem is I can’t totally prove it was him, except for the Sonos speaker. We (used to) leave the house unlocked. He could argue that someone else came in and took things/ hacked PayPal. This time, from me, he gets a pass. Sadly, we’ve changed the way we live because we just don’t know what he told people he was associated with here.

I appreciate the suggestions though, I really do.

• 2 months later...
JJ I can't even fathom my girl leaving yet...I'm in month 4 and I haven't stopped smiling yet. How do you love something this much? haha.

I managed to not cry until the day I left. There will be lot's of tears and even more smiles between where you are and I am. Enjoy every single day of the ride. I miss her every hour of every day, but am so glad she's settled in to a lovely apartment and she loves her job.

Archived