LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

I'm fairly sure that Puralator or other brand oil filters will suffice other than the geniune Subaru part.

Because that's all Jiffy Lube and other oil change services use and the warranty permits those.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've used anywhere from 4.2 to 4.8, always filling the filter first from the first quart of oil. I think it is too variable to condemn the OP for inaccuracy when you're working from a sample size of n=1.

I always fill the filter first with oil, so that is not a factor here. I don't know that you read my whole post. The sample size is hardly one. First off, I have about 10K on the car, so this isn't the first oil change I've done. Second, as amsoil's website shows, the specs for the car with a filter are 4.6. The subaru manual is very unclear as the 4.2 number doesn't indicate whether it is with or without a filter. Clearly, it is without.

I agree with ^. Plus, if you read your post you state that the dipstick was nearly dry w/4.2 and was right on with 4.6. It sounds to me like you needed to let things settle as the dipstick (from the low hole to the high hole) is supposed to be 1 quart. All things considered, this is a minute detail, and I'd agree with the 4.2 first and check it later b/c overfilling would be more of a pain IMO.

Not to worry. I am no fool. After I did exactly 4.2, I let it settle. I checked the dipstick and it was very low. I heated up the car to operating temp, let it settle again, and checked it again. I basically was adding oil ridiculously slowly for accuracy (took me way too long), but I didn't want to overfill. Now that it is filled up to the proper 4.6, I have been checking it twice a week and it is dead on full - perfect. I'd doubt my car holds more oil than anybody elses...

I always fill the filter first with oil, so that is not a factor here. I don't know that you read my whole post. The sample size is hardly one. First off, I have about 10K on the car, so this isn't the first oil change I've done. Second, as amsoil's website shows, the specs for the car with a filter are 4.6. The subaru manual is very unclear as the 4.2 number doesn't indicate whether it is with or without a filter. Clearly, it is without.

Not to worry. I am no fool. After I did exactly 4.2, I let it settle. I checked the dipstick and it was very low. I heated up the car to operating temp, let it settle again, and checked it again. I basically was adding oil ridiculously slowly for accuracy (took me way too long), but I didn't want to overfill. Now that it is filled up to the proper 4.6, I have been checking it twice a week and it is dead on full - perfect. I'd doubt my car holds more oil than anybody elses...

I wouldn't assume that. The oil lines are not necessarily the exact same length, nor the oil pan the exact same shape or attached exactly the same. There are so many elements in the oil system that affect volume, and there are always going to be tolerances, especially on items like hoses and fluid lines. Tolerance stack is a bitch. Small differences in from one part to the next can add up to pretty significant differences. Temperature and humidity come into play, too. Less than half a liter of variability is not much at all in a big system like that.

And I'm not criticizing your technique at all. I'm just saying that you need to consider that there is variability from one person's car to another, and in this case underfilling by 0.4 L is much preferable to overfilling by 0.4 l.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I gotcha. I agree underfilling would be preferred. At this point, I am filling to 4.2 and then checking as I add .1 at a time. Although for my car, it seems fairly constant that I'll be using a bit more. Maybe it is in fact different by the car. My question is, is anybody actually using 4.2 quarts or is everybody that changes their own oil using more? Is the manual correct at 4.2 or is the information that posted above the correct? Clearly for my car the 4.6 is correct. Or are they both correct and the manual is just talking about w/o a filter?

If you use a filter that is larger (taller) than the quite small OEM one on the LGT then that would account for an increased amount needed to bring it up to the full mark.

This has been a great thread.

Thought I was going nuts trying to get the level set right on our two 08 NA OBW's.

I would think Subaru could get it a little closer to reality after all this time.

Thanks for the link to Amsoil's site, it lists 4.5qts for the NA engines.

Two observations - If I put the drain plug on after the initial drain, then drop the filter, if I take the plug back out I get a pretty good glug of oil out of the pan. Interestingly, I don't get this if I leave the plug out while I'm taking off the filter.

Second, I've never seen a car so freakin slow to read on the dipstick. My 03 NA Forester, my 04 FXT (which the manual also screwed up the oil capacity on), on our 03 OBW were all much much quicker to get a good read on the stick. I've found the only good way to get a decent reading on the stick with our 08's is to let it set over night. What a pita.

Thanks for all the good info folks.

• 2 months later...
Ok but is the only option using the factory jack? I only ask this because i cant seem to find a good spot to jack it up using an after-market jack, let alone place a jack stand.

Buy a pair of those plastic drive-on ramps, that's what I use. They'll lift the car up and as long as you got them alligned right, they are safer as there is no real risc of the car falling on you or you hitting and knocking the jack

I drive up on top of a couple 3/4-inch composite decking planks I have lying around. The 1.5 inches gives me enough for an oil change.

Our OB is high enough without the planks.

I just use a floor jack and jack stands. It can be tough to get in under there, especially since I added a lip spoiler, but if you go in from the side, you can still reach the front center jack point, at the bolt in the rear center of the undertray. You then want to put it up on jack stands, both for safety and because if you have the floor jack under there, there's little room to work.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

^ +1.

But honestly, JTaz, you might want to see about borrowing a jack and a set of stands (or a ramp) from someone, for your first-time.

The reason I say so is because on a non-ride-height-modified LGT, particularly one without a front lip, it's rather easy to get under..... My garage's entry "lip" is about an inch higher than the driveway, I simply inch the front tires until they're just about to trip over the ledge, then I chock the rear tires, pull the parking/hand/e-brake, and put her in-gear.

I can easily get a drip pan and my forearm under there (that's all you need). With a Fumoto Valve, this makes the change really, really easy. :) And keep in mind that I'm dropped on iONs, too. :)

Get a feel for where everything is, the first time you do it - that's why I suggest the jack/jackstand combo, or the ramp, borrowed, first.

After maybe two more changes, it'll be so second-nature to you that just reaching under should be plenty simple.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have a jack and some stands that i intend on using for the first time, i am just nervous about where i CAN lift the car, however i learned up there ^ that it is in the rear/center of the under tray. I don't want to jack anything up (pun intended :-)) on my new baby! I'm not used to a nice car (previous vehicle = NEON) where everything is hidden an slightly more intimidating. My short stature, may pose a problem as well if i just try and reach back there. Anyway, thanks again for everyones' support and advice!

^ That's the official place. :) And that's what I use.

Just be careful, JTaz, if you do use this area, as if you don't align the jack's "jack pad" correctly, you can pinch/bend that area.

---

JTaz - I'm 6' even in dress shoes, on a good day. ;)

If you're shorter, unless you're also kinda stocky and have power-lifter shoulders/chest you still should have no problems, once you're used to where things are.

For the first couple of times, though, being able to actually get under the car will help you tremendously in terms of forming the necessary muscle-memory as well as spacial-orientation as to where things are. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Did anyone else notice that their car takes almost a full 5 qts of oil instead of the specified 4.2 qts? 4.2 only got me to the lowest level of oil on the dipstick. 5 qts got me to just below the overfill hole on the dipstick. I'm not complaining because more oil is better IMHO, but I found it to be way off from spec.

*I have a 2.5i using a standard Purolator oil filter.

^ You know, I've *never* measured mine.

I've always just filled to satisfy the dip-stick.

Yeah, you don't want to blindly reach for the oil filter and grab the hot exhaust manifold. Yikes!

^ Doh!!!!

Kung Fu style!

Archived