LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

I just use a floor jack and jack stands. It can be tough to get in under there, especially since I added a lip spoiler, but if you go in from the side, you can still reach the front center jack point, at the bolt in the rear center of the undertray. You then want to put it up on jack stands, both for safety and because if you have the floor jack under there, there's little room to work.

I wasn't aware of a front center jack point. Are you sure?

As far as I know, the correct jack points in the front are the suspension cross-member pads. In the back, the rear diff can be used. The pinch-welds are the right place to put the stands after jacking up the car on the correct points.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've developed a real fondness for ramps. Places ramps. Put car on ramps. Change oil. Take car off ramp. Faster than I can jack it up, put stands under it, lower it on stands, raise car off stands........

But if you do want to use a jack, somewhere if you search for it, you should be able to find a mention of the front jack point.

I know Foresters and OBW's have them..... in fact I used the one on my wife's car (08 OBW) this weekend, I had the rear on the ramps, and raised the front to level it to get the last of the rear diff oil out.

Where do you guys buy your consumables online? Oil filter, drain gasket and air filter specifically? I checked with The King of Parts but he only has the oil filters, not the air. I'd hate to pay shipping twice to 2 different places.

Where do you guys buy your consumables online? Oil filter, drain gasket and air filter specifically? I checked with The King of Parts but he only has the oil filters, not the air. I'd hate to pay shipping twice to 2 different places.

I just get them at local auto parts stores. Purolator oil and air filters are very good quality and much easier to obtain for me than OEM.

• 5 weeks later...

CTATV -

Do you still need this? I can try to scan my old copy, and send it to you.

LMK.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

CTATV -

Do you still need this? I can try to scan my old copy, and send it to you.

LMK.

-A

yeah would be abliged. i only have like 60 bucks right now id rather not spend 50 of them on an oil change at the stealership:lol:

ive done my bikes/atvs etc forever but before this car i drove family owned vehicles and my pops paid to have the oil change so i never did it...

and most of my toys are 2 strokes so no oil filter to change. just pump oil on the jetboat and gear oil on the dirt wheelers

^ No problem.

Shoot me a PM with your preferred e-mail. I should have the e-mail out to you by mid-day tomorrow, at the latest.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

CTATV,

Dude, that scan turned out real ugly - can't see any of the pix, at all. :(

I'll see if I've retained a copy of the original .pdf on one of my home computers......

Sorry, bruddah. :(

CTATV,

Dude, that scan turned out real ugly - can't see any of the pix, at all. :(

I'll see if I've retained a copy of the original .pdf on one of my home computers......

Sorry, bruddah. :(

all good i probably wont go at it till sunday anyways...

btw is it some special crush washer I need to get from subaru i should pick that up ahead of time if so... & a new oil filter. should i use a scooby filter or any brand (fram)?

You can get crush washers from the local auto-parts store. :)

But honestly, I don't even remember which one my car (or the wifey's) uses anymore, as I've had the Fumoto valve for such a long time. :redface:

As for the filter, most people here prefer to use genuine SoA. I'm not sure, actually, whether or not it might come, itself, with a crush washer for the drain bolt......

I favor the Purolator PureOne ( but lament the fact that their casing is now gold, instead of the blue that used to match Winky :lol: ).

Recommend you use genuine Subaru filter and crush washer. The filter's gone through a few product revisions, so there seem to be some design sensitivities since it's surrounded by hot exhaust pipes. The crush washer is sold separately.

I've been using the Subaru filter without problems. If you pick it up at your local parts dept., they will often remind you about the crush washer. I run a Fumoto valve, too, so I always decline the washer, but they keep reminding me.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I've been using the Subaru filter without problems. If you pick it up at your local parts dept., they will often remind you about the crush washer. I run a Fumoto valve, too, so I always decline the washer, but they keep reminding me.

yeah ive read about that valve before... Ill stop at the local stealership friday afternoon

CTATV - All of my home computers turned a blank on the original .pdf. I'll check my old work computer for you, but that's a remote chance.

Failing that, if you'd like to PM me your mailing address, I'll just up and send one of my two old hardcopies out to you.

^ That's what CTATV and I have been talking to-and-fro about. :(

CTATV, no luck, I couldn't find a resident copy on any of my computers - home or work, new or old.....

If you'd like, PM me your mailing address, and I'll drop one of my two hardcopies off in the mail to you.

Sorry, bro, I tried!

^ That's what CTATV and I have been talking to-and-fro about. :(

CTATV, no luck, I couldn't find a resident copy on any of my computers - home or work, new or old.....

If you'd like, PM me your mailing address, and I'll drop one of my two hardcopies off in the mail to you.

Sorry, bro, I tried!

cool thanks man, i can get you out that mailing addy via PM i dont have time right now ill send it over later today

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone needs instructions on how to change their oil, I'm not so certain you should be changing it. At least have someone with you that has the knowledge with you the first time. It's a very straight forward process that you can even google. As far as capacities are concerned, it's all found in your owners manual.
- The Mortgage Man

Archived