LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

yep everyone comments on that if you do a search...just use the one specified for our 4 cyl. if you don't like that one, go with K & N or one of the other aftermarket filters

you're out of warranty anyway so won't make any difference

it looks odd, but that's the right one

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't aware of a front center jack point. Are you sure?

As far as I know, the correct jack points in the front are the suspension cross-member pads. In the back, the rear diff can be used. The pinch-welds are the right place to put the stands after jacking up the car on the correct points.

The front center jack point does seem pretty far from the front of the vehicle. I have a 3.5 ton low profile steel jack and I'm not sure if I can reach it that easily.

Does anyone have a pictoral guide to all the jack points underneath the car?

My main computer blew up, but I found a copy of the oil change instructions on my other computer. Here it is:

OK, I tried to attach the file and I get an error saying the file is too big. I don't know why since I downloaded it from here in the first place...? The pdf on my hard drive is 350K, and the forum says the limit is 250K. I tried zipping it, but that didn't make it small enough. Anyone have suggestions? :spin:

My main computer blew up, but I found a copy of the oil change instructions on my other computer. Here it is:

OK, I tried to attach the file and I get an error saying the file is too big. I don't know why since I downloaded it from here in the first place...? The pdf on my hard drive is 350K, and the forum says the limit is 250K. I tried zipping it, but that didn't make it small enough. Anyone have suggestions? :spin:

Or try emailing one of us and maybe we can attempt to upload it in case there's any difference between your account and mine / ours.

Edit: Try the attached file. It's probably not the same as OP's. If it's inappropriate then the powers-that-are can delete it or notify me to delete it.

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Oil Change.pdf

probably a n00b question, i dont change my oil i'd rather just pay and have it done somewhere. Any oil change place knows/has the right crush washer to put in to replace the old one correct?

If you take it to an indie shop, you can bring your own oil filter, oil, crush washer etc. and they'll perform the change for a nominal fee.

Get the oil from Walmart. There was a filter + crush washer package deal with one of the vendors here.

That's what I just did this past weekend, paid $35 for a half-hour change w/ Rotella 5W-40, which is exactly what the dealers charge for their standard dino oil change!

the problem with just a simple oil change is they just dump the filter fast and then on our 2.5i's, oil gets all over the exhaust pipes and burns for days after. Subaru dealers know how to do it so oil doesn't leak on the pipes...or do it yourself by removing the filter with dixie cup so it doesn't leak

^ Forget Subarus - let's talk about cars, for at least the past two decades. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I do think Subarus are pretty much the only cars that say you should replace the crush washer every oil change though, I was telling my buddies dad who works on cars that I had to pick some up before I did mine and he acted like I was crazy for changing it every time

^ Really?

I thought pretty much all cars had crush-washers, to prevent the pan from getting crushed.....

????

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

yeah he said they all do, but he's never had to replace one on any car he owns, I think it's a good idea no matter what and will continue to do it on all my vehicles but just sharing my story of someone thinking us suby owners are insane lol

^ We are insane! :)

I'm not sure how many "crushes" a crush-washer is good for.....I'd imagine that, to be safe, it's a one-time-use deal. It's being crushed, after all. :lol:

^ :lol:

Yep, but a new washer is needed, if you took the Fumoto from one Subaru to the next, as I did with my wife's off-lease WRX, and her then-new '09 FXT. :)

Archived