LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

it is the same distance from either side of the car. is the pan after market? i didn't think anyone but the gt's had these. maybe if you get a chance post up a pic of your car and we can help point it out. look behind the oil pan....and between the exhaust. it should be the only brace going from to back of the car and not side to side. good luck!;)

It's an OEM pan, I believe the 2.5i Limited got the same pan as the GT's. Do you jack from the front or the side when you jack from this brace? Thanks for the help!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I reach the jack point from the front with a floor jack. Even with a lowered car with lip spoiler, it is do-able. The jack point is right at the back center of the OEM pan.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I reach the jack point from the front with a floor jack. Even with a lowered car with lip spoiler, it is do-able. The jack point is right at the back center of the OEM pan.

That's great, thanks! How big a jack do you guys use? I have a Michelin 1.5 ton aluminum jack that feels a bit undersized for this big car, I'm used to having much lighter cars, lol.

reach it from the front...i use a 4 ton craftsman. i really dont need that capacity but i like the huge jacking plate on the end. i love the one that griots garage though.... has a foot pump to put the plate to the car so you dont have to pump it in the tight spaces.

reach it from the front...i use a 4 ton craftsman. i really dont need that capacity but i like the huge jacking plate on the end. i love the one that griots garage though.... has a foot pump to put the plate to the car so you dont have to pump it in the tight spaces.

I'll have to try this out, thanks guys! This will make my next oilchange even easier! Hopefully my jack will deal with the whole car in one shot, lol.

I also have a 1.5 ton jack. You're never lifting the whole car at once with the floor jack, so don't worry about that. Just please please please remember to use stands. Never depend on the jack to support the car when you're under it.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I also have a 1.5 ton jack. You're never lifting the whole car at once with the floor jack, so don't worry about that. Just please please please remember to use stands. Never depend on the jack to support the car when you're under it.

good point...i forgot to say that. i have 4 stands and they go under the 4 corners of the car under the frame rail and i leave the jack under the car also. never be to safe with 2 tons above your head ;)

heres what i really need.... (that car and the lift and the floor...and the, well the whole thing really)

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/en_US/local/page_specific/havingfun/garageideas05_lg_03.jpg

Ya jackstands are a must in my garage, I'm not going down like that, lol. ;)

heres what i really need.... (that car and the lift and the floor...and the, well the whole thing really)

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/en_US/local/page_specific/havingfun/garageideas05_lg_03.jpg

Can I have it, after you're done? :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Anyone's using a PELA pump to change the oil.

I've been using it since 2002 on my previous VW. Now that I'm part of the Subaru family I intend to continue using it.

I think it's a great way to change the oil and to avoid the horror stories when you remove the drain plug.

Plus, never fear leakage because you never remove the oil drain plug.

Any comments ??

good point...i forgot to say that. i have 4 stands and they go under the 4 corners of the car under the frame rail and i leave the jack under the car also. never be to safe with 2 tons above your head ;)

I use 6 ton jack stands when I'm working on the car. I also use cinder blocks positioned underneath frame rails just in case the jack stands fail.

All this shit to just change the oil??? WTF?

LOL you should see the GT-R threads. They charge those poor...I mean rich s.o.b.'s alot to change the engine oil. Tranny fluids are like $90 a qt.

Anyone's using a PELA pump to change the oil.

I've been using it since 2002 on my previous VW. Now that I'm part of the Subaru family I intend to continue using it.

I think it's a great way to change the oil and to avoid the horror stories when you remove the drain plug.

Plus, never fear leakage because you never remove the oil drain plug.

Any comments ??

Hum...

No comments....

Anyone using this system ?

Hum...

No comments....

Anyone using this system ?

I haven't ever used it before...but i know people who have. I am not opposed to it i just have never used it. I have always did it the old fashioned way. would work to remove any sediments or particles that have rested at the bottom? i dont know how effective the drain plug method is at this either. I think it was a local Mercedes shop that only uses this system to change their oil. not really sure about it. have you seen any benefits or changes since using this system? :)

As for the oil filter socket - you really don't need one. While the first change can be tough because they seem to use gorillas to install everything at the factory, if you're doing your own changes you should only hand-tighten the filter. It will be plenty secure and that way, you can get the filter off by hand at the next change.

Hmm, I tighten it as tight as I can get it by hand, which pretty much

guarantees it'll be too tight to get off by hand. I find.

I used to use a large pair of channel-locks on my '97. Standard tool

anyone should have.

But you can't access the filter on the newer ones with it. Advance Auto

had a socket that was less than $10.

Great instructions, it made the first oil change I have ever done, a breeze.

Notably, on the Australian 2.5i there *is* an underbody tray, which does *not* have a swing-away oil filter access panel. Accordingly you have to remove 3 allen-head hex nuts (2 at the front edge and one in the center just next to the crossmember), and 1 pop-it in each of the wheel weels so that the whole underbody tray can be removed.

My car is lowered just under an inch all around, and it made it impossible to do the change without jacking the car up first using a trolley jack + stands.

Also I did not remove the oil filler cap when I took off the drainplug, but the stream of oil still came out steadily and aimed right into the pan. Removing the cap at a later point got the last drops out.

As someone earlier mentioned, I put the plug back in (filter tight), then removed the filter. Wrapping a strip of sandpaper around the filter then using a 3-pronged filter tool worked great to get the old filter off, as the little rubber grips on the tool did nothing to grip the filter. After that drained, I moved the pan to back under the drainplug and removed it again. A further 0.2 quart at least, drained out after that.

At the same time I used a can of the Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner and changed the air filter. Car should run beautifully now and ready for track day this weekend :D

Thanks again everyone :)

I know the manual says to put 4.2qts of oil but going into the stores the oils are contained in gallon jugs. My question is, is the 0.2 qts really important? If it is, then I guess i'll be buying gallon jugs and saving leftovers... 0.8qts to go next oil change, then 0.6qts, etc. etc. to break even i'd be on the 4th oil change. :lol:

I know the manual says to put 4.2qts of oil but going into the stores the oils are contained in gallon jugs. My question is, is the 0.2 qts really important? If it is, then I guess i'll be buying gallon jugs and saving leftovers... 0.8qts to go next oil change, then 0.6qts, etc. etc. to break even i'd be on the 4th oil change. :lol:

i would imagine that it depends on how much oil you are able to extract during the oil change. If you can remove all 4.2 then i would replace exactly what i removed. however, if you can only remove 4 qts....then problem solved. if it were me, and yes it maybe a disorder, i would replace the .2. but it all depends on your preference and how much you can remove. i would get the extra and see much comes out. ;)

Wait...they don't sell quarts of oil in Massachusetts? Anyway, for my last oil change I bought the oil at Walmart and it came in a 5-quart jug -- just right!

:eek: 5qt jugs?? i plan on putting the rotella T synthetic oil in the car sometime soon. they only come in 1 gallon jugs :spin::spin::spin: but it looks like i'll have to buy 2 gallons every 4 oil changes. no biggy.

I got the 5 qt and used the rest to top it off between changes. I'm also using an oversized filter. Pennzoil is $20 here for a 5qt full syn if you bimonthly change it like me. I changed it 18 oct and i'm already 2500 miles into the oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived