LegacyGT.com

How to BLACK OUT the headlight

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Might have to start a new thread on this topic:

I can't get away with clearing my headlamps here. The Detroit 50 & the MSP are all over this mod--ticket, ticket, ticket if no amber reflector present.

What I am considering is blacking out the headlamps while keeping the amber reflector IN. Has anyone done this mod? Photos? What are thoughts on how it would look--worth cracking the lamps for?

Might have to start a new thread on this topic:

I can't get away with clearing my headlamps here. The Detroit 50 & the MSP are all over this mod--ticket, ticket, ticket if no amber reflector present.

What I am considering is blacking out the headlamps while keeping the amber reflector IN. Has anyone done this mod? Photos? What are thoughts on how it would look--worth cracking the lamps for?

Here are mine

GetAttachment-1.jpg.57aaed9126c0985a8d69d962789d9907.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg.153a1c63e00d4a09b9d217df3dc9be4c.jpg

Ravengage, Yeah, i had to paint the chrome ring because of my masking tape being to sticky, and pulled pieces of the chrome finish off...turns out i like it better all black.:cool:

I baked mine....slow and low. my bro-in-law used a heat gun on his sti and said was super easy so pick your poison. just take your time

while i was in there i did HIDs and blocked the "squirrel finder" hole with some heat tape.

DO IT!:)

You gonna do this mod, Cat?

Pictures pictures PICTURES. :hobbes:

Painted and drying overnight. I didn't go the flat black route though. I used the paint I used on my grille which is a dark grey metallic. Looks VERY OEM.

Also doing the DIY lip, filling in squirrel finders, and installing/replacing cabin filter. FUN DAY!

Color looks like the flat black, but it's not. I know, crap iphone pics. The metallic flake is really really really nice. I thought my reflectors were pealing from the tape, but it was only the reflection of the back of the tape!!! Too funny.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hghk0o.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/6nva1l.jpg

"This is an adventure."

Painted and drying overnight. I didn't go the flat black route though. I used the paint I used on my grille which is a dark grey metallic. Looks VERY OEM.

Um...I love those headlamps (*drool*). Can't WAIT to see them on your car. :wub:

Can you send me your paint manufacturer & #?

Between you & Skiskank, I'm about to crack-a-lamp. It's just a shame I can't clear them as well, but that's life in the D.

Stop it stop it stop it... I must do this to my OBP!! Will have to get a heatgun as the wifey will freak if I use the new oven. The blackout looks mean.

looks soooo sick on an OBP

just use a cookie sheet in case it melts;)

looks soooo sick on an OBP

just use a cookie sheet in case it melts;)

(Also to Catalyst):

Did you sand down to bare plastic before you painted or did you paint OVER the faux-chrome?

Skis please reassure me that this will not be a wasted venture without clearing the amber reflector. LOL ;)

I did not sand down anything, but I did use 3 coats of flat black primer before the 3 coats of paint. Overkill? Maybe, but I'd rather not have to bake these again and do it right the first time. And also because getting even coverage over the faux chrome takes a couple coats at least before you start to not see the chrome through the primer.

Good luck!

"This is an adventure."

(Also to Catalyst):

Did you sand down to bare plastic before you painted or did you paint OVER the faux-chrome?

Skis please reassure me that this will not be a wasted venture without clearing the amber reflector. LOL ;)

wasted venture, no. as cool as the the compete black-out, no

worth not being possibly rejected due to a missing reflector at inspection time, yes

oh yeah, no sanding required

At the risk of reposting, has anyone attempted the black out using the same color as their car body instead of black?

I think this has been done..i remember reading somewhere that you can buy some kind of touchup paint(not the OEM paint) that matches the color of the subaru black perfectly-w/ the same color metallic green/blu flake too

At the risk of reposting, has anyone attempted the black out using the same color as their car body instead of black?

A while back I painted the wings of my stock grill body color. I wouldn't try doing the whole grill. The curves etc. in the outer part are too much to try to do all the sanding and polishing you need to do to get a nice shiny finish. But if you're willing, to go paintscratch.com and they will hook you up with body color match paint in a rattle can and some clear coat.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/S22t4K-_3DI/AAAAAAAAFOw/_fvQWPX6A54/s800/DSC04060.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/Sla8qhvpo1I/AAAAAAAAFOo/l-dviZit1_Q/s800/DSC04115.JPG

• 2 months later...

Awesome walk through gave me the courage to do this on my 2005 GT and the results are so worth it.

Felt pretty funky puttin the lights in the oven though! my wife just rolled her eyes.

for the record i baked them at 90 degrees c for 12 mins wires lights and all and that worked real well :-) no extra glue when reassembled just a re heat. no fogging and its been wet and warm.

also did the grill and lower mesh mods ;-)

The key for me was to use the same colour satin black on the lights and grill...

DSC04930.thumb.jpg.f46a01a7e80a327d043495c7aa235c3a.jpg

DSC04932.thumb.jpg.3258c2c12a905f9ac123417955a99756.jpg

DSC04931.thumb.jpg.7b335c91462b1137f85b20586bf06b3c.jpg

DSC04926.thumb.jpg.f18045b31e988c56c2bd2ac474a479b5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived