LegacyGT.com

How to BLACK OUT the headlight

^^^ I'll agree with you there. Cold tape doesn't stick very well, which would definately make for fewer chrome peeling issues. I did the job in my apartment and ambient temb was about 70*.

And I don't know how fast you guys were getting those lights apart and taping them up though; cause mine had PLENTY of time to cool by the time I started taping.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
It looks good with that painted too. However, I'm pretty sure that actually affects the turn signal corner bulb performance. One thing I wish I had did was to paint the chrome ring to match as well. I think you should color match to the car.

dpeends on the look you want to go for, if you wanna make it all stealth, you should def black out the area behind the amber...leave the reflector portion still though for the blinkers but it would look pretty cool..

check out the obsidian black thread in photos, a lot of guys have done it on their black leggys

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if a pre-08 headlight will work in an 08 car? I want to clear my lights and paint the housing black, but it just looks silly on the 08.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yea you're right it does look silly.........

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1956938#post1956938

Yea right blacked out headlights look great on our cars.

Does anyone know if a pre-08 headlight will work in an 08 car? I want to clear my lights and paint the housing black' date=' but it just looks silly on the 08.[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...
Yea you're right it does look silly.........

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1956938#post1956938

Yea right blacked out headlights look great on our cars.

Did some close looking....they changed the headlights and fenders for 08+

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You may not need to pull them apart again to get that moisture out. I had a bit of condensation in mine, I put the offending light in the oven with all the bulbs out of the back, heated it a bit (which evaporated the moisture), and then squeezed the edges to try to reseal it, and I haven't had any issues since.

What type of silicone would you guys say i should use just in case i have to reseal the lights?

Since I just happened to have it out, I'll post up what I've got, which I got at a local hardware store.

Permatex brand Clear RTV Silicone adhesive sealant

The bottle looks like the one below, except the one below is a blue sealant, not clear. Theoretically you could get any color, but I'd think clear or black would be best.

41WXXfALCJL._AA280_.jpg.ae9fcc37961838ae5ffa6b35480cd67d.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
that looks so pimp on the obsidian legacys!! too bad i'm too chicken to do it to mine :p

Really? Head out to a meet in your area and I'm sure there's more than a few people who would be willing to help out or outright do it for you (and a case of beer). I think we've had three headlight related meets in the past year here in greater Seattle.

Archived