LegacyGT.com

How to BLACK OUT the headlight

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd love to do mine too, but i am also chicken...i know eventually i am going to have to since it fits in with the whole "project blackout" scheme, but i figured i would save it until last since i am worried...

(cough)if anybody has done it and wants to help me, i go to school in westfield mass, and live in the framingham mass area(cough)... ;)

Hey Project Blackout it is way easier than it sounds. A bit painful but in the end it is so worth it. I just did mine recently and couldn't be happier.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv91/RafalCzy89/Legacy1.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv91/RafalCzy89/SDC10810.jpg

fzxtreme-

I'm also in the chicagoland area... I am having problems trying to pull the lights apart. Will offer pizza and beer for your assistance. Actually, pizza and beer for any chicagoland area legger's willing to help.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
This might be a dumb question... But why do u have to tape off the things u mentioned??

The area behind the highbeams and blinker are reflective surfaces used to help focus and emphasize the lights. The ring that surrounds the low beam projector is just a 'taste' thing, but because there's no reflection there, you can paint that if you want.

SDC10810-2.thumb.JPG.c1124c21d70dbb86e13472f8591f3d36.JPG

^sweet... that image helps alot.... so as long as i mask off the "reflective" parts... could you take a picture from a little farther away... i also have a black car and cant make up my mind on either painting that ring around the low beam or leaving it...

Unfortunately, that's fzxtreme's car, not mine, but it looks like he painted the surrounds.

Here's my car, and I didn't paint the surrounds:

http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/images/specb/headlights/IMG_0234-2.JPG

Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/images/specb/headlights/IMG_0230-2.JPG

Don't buy the homedepot brand tape. Buy the blue 3M as the homedepot masking tape tore off my chrome.

Yeah, that's what I used, and it worked well. I also think that if you get antsy and try to mask off the light before it cools down completely (after it's time in the oven) that'll help to loosen that thin layer of chrome. That's just a theory though. *shrug*

^yea... im a little nervous on baking my headlights... but i think my friend has a heat gun... so i will most likey use that.... ill be doing it on either thursday or friday in the ranch if you wanna come watch

^really?? why is that?? is it cuz the oven is faster??

Well, since you have heat all the glue up to open it, the heat gun won't work quite as well, because you can only do a side at a time, and while you're doing the other side, the first will be cooling.

It's faster too, I'd think, yeah.

Hey Project Blackout it is way easier than it sounds. A bit painful but in the end it is so worth it. I just did mine recently and couldn't be happier.

gotta get rid of them amber blinkers homey ;) Otherwise that's a great job

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

How much does this affect the turn signal reflectivity?

honestly, it dims it alot. It's not that you can't see em, you can see the blinkers just fine when they're on. It's just nowhere near as bright as the stockers.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

so easy, you wont eff it up

good luck

+1 take your time & you'll be ok

Archived