LegacyGT.com

Success with non-OEM Wheel Hub Bearing Units

yeah if you don't mind I would like a pic. I took a flashlight and looked but didn't see anything. Didn't wanna remove the lower dash since it's a pain and I gave up..

Just stick your hand up there and feel around for something...make sure the car is turned off...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My standard OBD2 reader doesn't pick up C codes (I use a ScanGaugeII) If you have a professional code scanner it'll probably pick it up. Just a heads up if you don't see anything, since it is a sensor fault code, I assume you'll need a shop tool, or, I don't know where you work, but I assume from the sound of it, you probably have access to a proper scan tool.

I know. I work at Snap-on so I'm sure we have a scan gauge that will read it :lol: Thanks though. Didn't get a chance to check yesterday. I'll do it today.

I3eXa, Here are the pictures, in the first one, the 2 white connectors are what you attach.

In the second picture, that blue electrical tape around the wiring harness is where both of these sets of jumpers lived. Hope that helps!

http://i.imgur.com/43PuyuT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cLmoGA4.jpg

I3eXa, Here are the pictures, in the first one, the 2 white connectors are what you attach.

In the second picture, that blue electrical tape around the wiring harness is where both of these sets of jumpers lived. Hope that helps!

helps tremendously. I really appreciate it. I will go take a look in a while and see what codes pop up if any

Edit- found them! Connected and with acc on it just shows trip a, trip b, s-on, and 1-on. Not sure what those ones are but nothing else comes up so no codes I assume

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but 3k miles after I replaced my front pass. with a DA bearing, it's making pronounced noises, sort of like a coked up wookiee. It started making noise a month back, but now it's more pronounced, and now I know it's the bearing again :/

It was worth a shot, but I'm going back to top tier.

• 7 months later...
I replaced my front right hub assembly with a Detroit Axle unit a couple of weeks ago.

The loud hum/whir noise I associated with bearing failure was eliminated completely.

However, I've noticed that on hard/fast left turns (at speed) I get a pulsing/pulsating, low-pitched wub, wub, wub noise. Not all the time and I sometimes have to really throw it into a corner to produce the noise.

I'm not sure it's the bearings and am not ready to immediately blame them.

• I know I need to do the CV on that side but would that make that sort of noise in a turn (again, not a slow, locked turn -- just a sweeping turn at speed)?

• I know that the front right rim has a slight flat spot. My new wheel is coming this Friday, I hope.
  • Could be my rear passenger side bearing. Those are due for replacement soon.
  • Could it be rotor noise? I had to bang on the rotor pretty hard to get it off the hub. I reused the old rotor just because I forgot to get a replacement at the time. I plan to replace them this week.

Update:

It's been about a year (almost exactly) since I replaced my fronts with Detroit Axle hubs.

In short, they are failing and failing hard.

But, for under $100 I can't complain too much, I guess. And I'm probably going to order them again. I plan on selling the car in the next few months so I just need them to last that long. And to be honest, I'm not 100% convinced it wasn't installation error (I got lazy and re-used the axle nuts and I used rented torque wrenches that could have been slightly out of calibration).

I'll probably install a new set this weekend or next.

Update:

It's been about a year (almost exactly) since I replaced my fronts with Detroit Axle hubs.

In short, they are failing and failing hard.

But, for under $100 I can't complain too much, I guess. And I'm probably going to order them again. I plan on selling the car in the next few months so I just need them to last that long. And to be honest, I'm not 100% convinced it wasn't installation error (I got lazy and re-used the axle nuts and I used rented torque wrenches that could have been slightly out of calibration).

I'll probably install a new set this weekend or next.

I always reuse the axle nuts, the torque wrench was close enough. You can find Timken hubs for a little more money. See the link I put in JmP's sticky up top. I think they were like $80.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yep, I just checked

Fronts,

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA590315-Wheel-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B0031HRJ5S/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2005%7C2005&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive]Amazon.com: Timken HA590315 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive[/ame]

rears

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Moog-512293-Wheel-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B000JZEYC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457525090&vehicle=2005-13-64-------------0&sr=1-2&ymm=2005%3Asubaru%3Alegacy&keywords=moog+hub+subaru+legacy+2005]Amazon.com: Moog 512293 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive[/ame]

• 6 months later...
OK, so after purchasing my DA hub Bearings 2 years ago, I finally installed them this weekend. Worked well for about 15 miles, now I have ERR SS Code, ABS, Cruise control and the whole shabang. As expected :( . Now I have to source TImkens or SKF and re-do the work. I can't afford the $604. being charged for just labour to replace them.

I currently am going on 15k miles on 1 rear DA, 3k miles on 2 front DA, and just recently replaced the drivers rear DA with a Moog as it started making a ton of noise. Hopefully I can get awhile out of the other 3 DA bearings. Haven't had any codes for them at all either.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I just put DA on both front and rear passenger side a couple months ago, no issues yet but not sounding like a good future judging by this thread. Hopefully they last better for me than it sounds like everyone else. Subbing to thread for reference when they fail

I replaced front hubs last week . they had 180.000 kM OEM. it was very hard to get the old unit out. they were rust in place. The new Timken hubs have approximately 800 KM no issues. Cruise control work and the best the car is quiet.

• 1 month later...
So I may have missed the post. But is it safe to say that the Timkens are the way to go? I think I would rather pay the $155 for two than to wing it with the DA bearings. I need both fronts and don't really want to deal with shipping back and forth if I get a bad egg.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

I think there are a couple of threads in that, that talk about which ones to buy.

Does anyone know if the "NTN" bearings for around $120 on ebay that claim to be OEM without the fancy box are legit?

I used one on the front of my Outback. Seemed high quality (and were stamped as NTN), and it has been issue free for the past 7k miles. When I do my next front wheel bearings, I will use the NTN ones again.

Does anyone know if the "NTN" bearings for around $120 on ebay that claim to be OEM without the fancy box are legit?

I also just purchased and installed the set. I was afraid it was a fake when I saw the box but the ntn is stamped on the bearing and it was very high quality compared to others I've seen. No issues so far but it's only been about 5k.

I got the SKF bearings from NAPA and so far so good. No cruise wander and no ABS light. Of course I have only driven about 300 miles on them. But I will report back when I have some serious miles on them.

I spent $240 total for both fronts with a AAA member discount. So if you have AAA and are purchasing those from NAPA, mention that you're a member and the price is lower.

Just ordered 2 Timken fronts off amazon. If they're good enough for covertrussian, they're good enough for me :-)

Already have 2 rear DAs waiting in the garage. With 125k, probably time for all of them to get done (the front driver's side is definitely bad).. Time to learn how to do it.

Archived