LegacyGT.com

Success with non-OEM Wheel Hub Bearing Units

Did you use 8mmX1.25 bolts to walk the rotor off the hub ?

Hint, put PB Blaster in the threads and Anti-seize compound on the bolt before you thread them into the old rotor. Also spray the PB round the hub/rotor joint.

The bolts I use I put a groove the length of the threads for the rust to collect in. Could of used a tap, but the bolts are cheaper. Definitely use some lube.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I changed the Autozone Duralast front hub unit out for the OEM and the cruise control is back to normal.

The Autozone manager accused me of returning the "old" hub unit. The Duralast was on my car for 3 weeks, he apparently has no idea what a 10 year old 260,000 mile, northern Indiana unit actually looks like. Like it was even in 1 piece after removal.

I love dealing with non technical people that work in technical fields.

I changed the Autozone Duralast front hub unit out for the OEM and the cruise control is back to normal.

The Autozone manager accused me of returning the "old" hub unit. The Duralast was on my car for 3 weeks, he apparently has no idea what a 10 year old 260,000 mile, northern Indiana unit actually looks like. Like it was even in 1 piece after removal.

I love dealing with non technical people that work in technical fields.

My DA ones are still working perfectly. Over 1k on them so far

Had a SKF installed on the rear, and a Timken installed on the front two weeks ago.

My CC isn't working properly, but I don't really use CC ever.

Still I think your better off to get it fixed, before the warranty is gone for the bearings.

Maybe I missed them but are the part numbers posted here for the oem front hubs ?

Call the guy's at Fredbeans or PM "underdog" and he can get you the right part. or, look here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Report back in a few weeks

Been testing cruise control each day and no issues. DA hubs on both sides in the front.

I took no exceptional effort to clean the area while installing either. I did make sure to maintain correct torque specs.

I'll report future issues should they arise.

It is 100k, but it is only good for 8 years from manufacture. You are unfortunately out of luck.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/96137d1407176076-what-s-wheel-bearings-3rd-generation-2005-9-03-58-08-rear-wheel-bearing-warranty-extension-.pdf

The good news is a basic socket set, an impact gun, wire brush, mallet, and a $65 part will get you fixed in a few hours.

Breaker bar works. I just have a corded electric DeWalt impact gun. I have that tool and ditched the use of the breaker (for most things).

Your body will thank you for it.

I changed it without a torque wrench (too lazy and you can do it by feel). Axle nut I do reinstall with a breaker bar and a gorilla.

Hmm... A corded impact gun would also make taking on and off tires much easier wouldn't it. Please explain how you just did it by feel as I will be doing this soon and would much rather spend the money on an impact gun than a torque wrench.

Or a breaker bar?

Breaker bar works. I just have a corded electric DeWalt impact gun. I have that tool and ditched the use of the breaker (for most things).

Your body will thank you for it.

I changed it without a torque wrench (too lazy and you can do it by feel). Axle nut I do reinstall with a breaker bar and a gorilla.

Hmm... A corded impact gun would also make taking on and off tires much easier wouldn't it. Please explain how you just did it by feel as I will be doing this soon and would much rather spend the money on an impact gun than a torque wrench.

I busted the axle nut with a 1/2inch Craftsman break bar + the handle from my harbor freight 1.5 ton Aluminum racing jack. It was easier than I expected it to be.

I did have a corded impact wrench on hand, just in case.

I thought the wheel bearings were fairly sensitive to torque (i.e., wheel bearings will go to shit pretty fast if the axle nut isn't torqued properly).

You could probably do it by feel with not too much problem, but I'd say it's not worth the risk when you can rent a torque wrench for free from the auto parts stores. Autozone and Pep Boys had the click-style torque wrenches that go up to 250 ft lbs. Advaned only had the beam style that goes up to 150 (too low for the axle nut...I believe they're supposed to be at something like 162 ft lbs).

And 5lbs off in either direction means exponentially less life out of the bearing.

And anyone who says they can feel the difference between 162 and 167 is either full of shit, or the next step in human evolution we've all been waiting for.

Rent the torque wrench. Gorilla is the factory Subaru method.

They are free if you rent them at AutoZone and return within 90 days (as with all their tools).

I don't think we are talking about the same torqued part. I didn't torque the new hub down to the control arm per the spec. You do want to torque the axle nut to preload the bearing.

While you can rent a torque wrench, if they haven't been stored properly, they may not do what they say they do.

I don't think we are talking about the same torqued part. I didn't torque the new hub down to the control arm per the spec. You do want to torque the axle nut to preload the bearing.

Ohhh, OK. Yeah, I didn't use the torque wrench on those bolts either. I just did those by feel. The axle nut is what I used a torque wrench for.

While you can rent a torque wrench, if they haven't been stored properly, they may not do what they say they do.

Very true! When possible I always get two: one from Pep Boys and one from AutoZone. They're right across the street from each other. They typically do a good job of storing them correctly (making sure the tension is release on the click-type torque wrench) but I'm not sure they ever actually check the calibration.

Archived