LegacyGT.com

Success with non-OEM Wheel Hub Bearing Units

yeah, I came across a few in the under $40 range, but everything in that range came up as no name bearings.

There are a couple DA bearings on eBay but they are in the $75+ range.

Interesting. I bought a pair for $65 shipped or so about a month ago from eBay..

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I installed a DA front bearing over the weekend. Ripped the assembly in half with the puller from autozone but was able to chisel it out using my BFH. The cruise worked great for about 25 minutes last night, then I got the flashing cruise issue. Used cruise for about 20 minutes or so today and all has been fine. No issues. I'm wondering if the bit of grease I put on the spindle caused the issue and it has cleared itself up? Or the fact that I had some ice buildup on the wheels and some vibration issues? Time will tell if I have to get and OEM part. Just wondering why it would act up once but work mostly.

just recieved the same ones, putting them on this weekend. Was worried I'd still have cruise light flashing (was told that's why its flashing is bad wheel bearing)

anywho, I'll give my opinion too soon. Putting them on this weekend, hoping for DD status by April.

I installed a DA front bearing over the weekend. Ripped the assembly in half with the puller from autozone but was able to chisel it out using my BFH. The cruise worked great for about 25 minutes last night, then I got the flashing cruise issue. Used cruise for about 20 minutes or so today and all has been fine. No issues. I'm wondering if the bit of grease I put on the spindle caused the issue and it has cleared itself up? Or the fact that I had some ice buildup on the wheels and some vibration issues? Time will tell if I have to get and OEM part. Just wondering why it would act up once but work mostly.

The DA's will should work ok. I still get cruise surging on my car with one front DA. I'll be going back to OEM next time I do them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I need to replace the rear wheel bearing , what brand do you recommend?

Detroit Axle.

I installed the hub during the weekend, the unit look very well done, fit perfect, and the car run without noise. wait and see how long it last.

Yes, rears seem to work well with most any brand.

It's the fronts that seem to be picky.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I replaced my front right hub assembly with a Detroit Axle unit a couple of weeks ago.

The loud hum/whir noise I associated with bearing failure was eliminated completely.

However, I've noticed that on hard/fast left turns (at speed) I get a pulsing/pulsating, low-pitched wub, wub, wub noise. Not all the time and I sometimes have to really throw it into a corner to produce the noise.

I'm not sure it's the bearings and am not ready to immediately blame them.

• I know I need to do the CV on that side but would that make that sort of noise in a turn (again, not a slow, locked turn -- just a sweeping turn at speed)?

• I know that the front right rim has a slight flat spot. My new wheel is coming this Friday, I hope.
  • Could be my rear passenger side bearing. Those are due for replacement soon.
  • Could it be rotor noise? I had to bang on the rotor pretty hard to get it off the hub. I reused the old rotor just because I forgot to get a replacement at the time. I plan to replace them this week.

Found the cheapest one I could and installed it, no issues. About 2,500 miles on it. Cruise works fine. Do I expect it to last 40-50k no. But point is, I think most issues are related to install..needs clean, clean, clean surfaces. no rust!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191307187439?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%257CR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D191307187439%26_rdc%3D1

But I will try DA next.

I went with DA. Installed them, and got vibration over 60 mph plus cruise control jerkiness. Took them off, cleaned all surfaces well, and put DA back on with no improvement. Bought OEM and installed, no vibration or jerkiness. Lesson learned, sometimes it pays to pay more for OEM.

I installed a Duralast unit part # DL513220 from AutoZone last weekend, I am experiencing the cruise control surge. I am thrilled to come across this thread. I am going to try cleaning as recommended by the o.p.'s research. Hopefully I will be able to remove the unit without damage.

I installed a Duralast unit part # DL513220 from AutoZone last weekend, I am experiencing the cruise control surge. I am thrilled to come across this thread. I am going to try cleaning as recommended by the o.p.'s research. Hopefully I will be able to remove the unit without damage.

Cleaning resulted in no change, back to OEM for me. I've burned enough time on this.

I replaced my front right hub assembly with a Detroit Axle unit a couple of weeks ago.

The loud hum/whir noise I associated with bearing failure was eliminated completely.

However, I've noticed that on hard/fast left turns (at speed) I get a pulsing/pulsating, low-pitched wub, wub, wub noise. Not all the time and I sometimes have to really throw it into a corner to produce the noise.

I'm not sure it's the bearings and am not ready to immediately blame them.

• I know I need to do the CV on that side but would that make that sort of noise in a turn (again, not a slow, locked turn -- just a sweeping turn at speed)?

• I know that the front right rim has a slight flat spot. My new wheel is coming this Friday, I hope.
  • Could be my rear passenger side bearing. Those are due for replacement soon.
  • Could it be rotor noise? I had to bang on the rotor pretty hard to get it off the hub. I reused the old rotor just because I forgot to get a replacement at the time. I plan to replace them this week.

Did you use 8mmX1.25 bolts to walk the rotor off the hub ?

Hint, put PB Blaster in the threads and Anti-seize compound on the bolt before you thread them into the old rotor. Also spray the PB round the hub/rotor joint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just replaced mine with centric ones because the place I ordered from didnt have timkins. it was a really solid product. My abs light went off in 50 feet. Ive been fine for a week.*knocks on all the wood*

Did you use 8mmX1.25 bolts to walk the rotor off the hub ?

Hint, put PB Blaster in the threads and Anti-seize compound on the bolt before you thread them into the old rotor. Also spray the PB round the hub/rotor joint.

My rotors didn't have the holes for the bolts, for some reason.

Archived