LegacyGT.com

2014 Norcal LGT meet | track day

wpmarky

I don't think anyone should be driving at 10/10? Unless you're extremely experienced, I think it is usually recommended to be at 8/10 to give you leeway as we're not robots and we want that buffer to where we go in a little faster, it won't mean 11/10.

Something I just thought of for all the new guys. Since there seems to be a lot of people going to hang out, having a passenger along is a GREAT help by helping you watch the flags, etc. Even better if they have some track experience.

Well was more thinking about driving at the limits of your ability than the limits of the car.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well was more thinking about driving at the limits of your ability than the limits of the car.

Lets just say they shouldn't be at 10/10 for either then. :D

The lead/follow should really get their jitters down. With a lead car, it will hopefully keep them from pushing too hard.

Oh, and regarding transponders, I always just used a phone mount and an app. I use RaceChrono for android. Its free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.racechrono.app

EDIT: Oh yeah, regarding helmets, if you don't know if you're going to be doing much tracking, it might be better to rent than the throw down 100-200 on a racing helmet. I still wear my motorcycle helmet. It looks like speed ventures is ok with a motorcycle snell rating.

75% of the people are driving DD's, 95% of the people are driving non-sponsored cars. No one wants an incident.

You will not have to worry about door to door racing, this isn't bumper cars or go karts. You can only pass cars if the car in front of you gives the ok by pointing their finger at the direction they want you to pass them (point by). Beginners will only be allowed to pass in the straights, so you can keep your focus on the turn instead of worrying what's behind/next to you. Intermediate groups let you pass anywhere on the track. Advance groups you don't need to wait for a point by to pass.

This will all be explained in the driver's meeting at the beginning of the day. At that meeting you will most likely be assigned an instructor that will sit with you to tell you about the proper driving line and braking points.

The only threat to your car's safety is yourself, no one should be driving 8-9/10ths there first day. Reckless driving will get you kicked out of the event, so you should feel safe that no one else will do crazy things around you too.

After the day is done, you will feel safer on the track than on mountain roads. The whole point of these days is to take aggressive driving off public roads, and keep it on the track. No having to worry about bikers, deer, or other cars around the next turn. You will enjoy taking on blind turns with confidence the road ahead is clear. If it isn't clear, there are flag workers stations at these blind turns to notify you if there is anything remotely dangerous ahead.

I followed up with SV's owner to get an ETA on the discount. If he doesn't reply in a week or two, we will just register on our own.

OP updated.

Ok, heard back from SV owner:

1. Sign up by May 15

2. Write "Rapanut discount" in comments box to get $20 off.

3. Don't worry, we will not charge full price. Total is adjusted

manually before cards are run.

I got the Okay from the wife for June 1. She will have the baby all day.

I'm on the fence with my DD and almost $hitting my pants now about the possibility of damaging my car and limping home at best.

I will most likely sign up just so I am not SOL when I get there.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I'm on the fence with my DD and almost $hitting my pants now about the possibility of damaging my car and limping home at best.
Thinking the same thing.

That and the overall cost to not run all out ( I'm too competitive with myself to run 8/10 or lower ) I'll be spectating.

Thanks a ton tho WPM! Looking forward to seeing some of the NorCal lads. Oh BTW I don't need a DP this trip LOL altho the one on my LGT came from Tracy.... :lol:

Thinking the same thing.

That and the overall cost to not run all out ( I'm too competitive with myself to run 8/10 or lower ) I'll be spectating.

Thanks a ton tho WPM! Looking forward to seeing some of the NorCal lads. Oh BTW I don't need a DP this trip LOL altho the one on my LGT came from Tracy.... :lol:

You'd be surprised that you do not go over your limits. Although with a big room for improvement the follow track day may be a different story LOL

Those of you driving your DD, and driving the first time on-track, just don't get over your head and nothing to worry about at all. Take your time finding the limits of grip, be smooth and learn slowly. You're not gonna break any records for first-timers. And you're certainly not going to be going balls out on day one. It's a learning process to reach the limits of sticktion.

I drove a Lexus ISF for a few laps at Sears Point a few years back. I was not familiar with that car but I had a blast hooning it a bit, all the while keeping in mind that I was not familiar with the track (well, at least being on it) or the car, and that I certainly didn't want to embarrass myself or hurt the car.

I will be signing up and I have invited two of my STi buddies, one who has a lot of track time in his old Firebird, and the other is a noob like me. It will be a blast, and I plan on being able to drive home when its done. Lol!

Feel free to share the discount code with your buddies =)

I was at that Lexus event at sonoma also, my buddy got to ride the r8 hotlap afterwards xD

I will be signing up for the purple or black group soon as they can let me in.

Totally forgot...

First week of May for me.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Hmm...I went on there to register and I see it says there will be NO instrucion on Sunday.

Registered for 6/1/14!

Fredrik, I can be your instructor ; ) Does anyone else need one?

Here are some additional information that I found out during the registration process. It looks like motorcycle helmets are ok!

1. If you drive a convertible, your car must have either aftermarket rollover protection or OEM/Factory rollover protection. Cars that are allowed include all cars with Pop-Up rollbars (some BMW, Porsche cars) and cars with subtantial roll hoops (Honda S2000, Boxster for example). YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON TRACK if your car does not meet our requirements and YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE A REFUND. Please contact us if you wish to make sure your car is allowed. (NOTE: rollbars are not required for autocross events.)
  2. If you are under 18 you must have a parent present at the track to drive or ride as a passenger.
  3. You must have a Snell rated helmet (either Auto or Motorcycle) rated 2005 or newer. The preferred helmet is an SA rated helmet. If you do not have a helmet and cannot obtain or borrow one, please go back to step 6 to rent one from us.
  4. You must bring a tech form with you to the track. The tech form can be filled out by you or your mechanic - whoever is qualified. We do not tech cars at the track. It is your responsibility to bring a sound and safe car to the event. (NOTE: TECH FORMS are not required for autocross events.)
  5. TOW POINTS are highly recommended on the front and rear of your car. If we have to tow you off track or out of deep sand and you do not have a very strong, well-mounted tow point, your car may be damaged. Whether you have a tow point or not, Speed Ventures will not be responsible for damage done to your car during the towing process.
  6. You must have numbers on BOTH SIDES and the REAR of your car before you go out on track. They must be at least 8 inches high. Speed Ventures will provide racers tape to number your car, or offer vinyl numbers for sale at the track. (NOTE: NUMBERS are not required for autocross events.)

This will be my first time out on track for full sessions with this many cars, but I have driven on the road course at Sears Point before for a few laps, done oval track sessions with Spectator Racing, ridden a m/c for years and driven karts many a time. I understand the racing line. I will be a little "wound up" and nervous initially, but a friend of mine is joining us and he is going to ride along with me so I will have someone to help watch flags, traffic and to keep me in check. On an ideal day, I would want an instructor to ride with me for one session, but I should get my bearings out on track pretty quickly.

Anyone interested in splitting a garage space for $30 each? That would help give the group a shaded area to hang out instead of under the sun.

In

They don't list a 3.6R

Registration Date4/24/2014 11:22:56 AMStatusRegistered Sunday, June 1, 2014Run Groups: Blue

Timing: Renting Transponder

Instruction: none

Extras: Helmet (1)

Car:

2013 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan (Grey)

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 (Street)

Flywheel HP: 273

Class: 0

They don't list a 3.6R

You could pretend to be an LGT. ;)

I noticed it was signing up quickly. How many cars do they allow altogether for the day, or is it by run group?

I will see what I can do about signing up today or tomorrow. Gotta move some money around.

Archived