LegacyGT.com

2014 Norcal LGT meet | track day

wpmarky

at $290 not sure I want to drive. Would still be interested in hanging out for the day / riding along though.
Kinda the same here.

Also been noted by a few of my track(er) buddies that street tires are gonna ruin the day ( and likely be ruined by the end of the day ). As I'll be 1100 miles from home it may not be the smartest idea, my day could end up costing $1000 LOL. Unless someone knows of any "loaner" setups in 5x100 that clear Brembos?!?

update: The owner of SV replied back and said a discount is doable. He's also looking into some options for us such as possibly free timing and/or instruction.

More to come.

:munch:

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on speed ventures forum i found this

You will probably only see wear in two areas: tires and brakes.

Tires: If you are running street tires, the wear shouldn't be too bad; you'll probably lose 2/32" of tread. It's really up to you, because if you're determined to burn up your tires on the track, you can certainly do it. Typical fast driving, however, will not use up your tires if you start with a decent amount of tread.

I can get 6-8 track events + 15k miles out of a set of tires and still have enough tread left to sell as a used set on craigslist for $100-$200. I have a porsche friend that gets 12-15 events on a single set of tires. If this is your first day, you probably won't be killing tires that fast.

The only thing that will kill tires is: over driving, bad alignment, and a really hot day. Drifting is not fast, and neither is dive bombing corners. Smooth in, smooth out = fast.

I recommend -1 camber in order to prevent outer shoulder wear without getting the inner wear from having too much. I've gotten -1.1 on stock struts & bolts + lowering springs. If you have 0 camber or messed up toe, you could speed up the wear. I don't mind having outer shoulder wear though, it balances out the inside wear from -2 camber xD

Lastly the point of choosing the 6/1 weekend is to get out there before it gets too hot. Better for our tires and engines.

ya just didn't want people to think they would toast a set of tires. its all about how u drive. of course u can blow through a set but only if u drive them way to hard and like wpmarky said its all about being smooth and slow in fast out.

I'll do my best to come up and see you guys. Not sure if I want the OBXT on the track.

Last time I was on the track it was after an AMA race in the late 80's. I was driving my 86 lowered nissan PU(not hardbody). Race was long over. I had sold all the extra beer we brought (vendors had run out).

Was passing by the track enterance from the pits and said F it... Two guys in the bed. Me and another in the cab. One lap around Sears Point.

Fun. Could not get away with that these days.

Sorry guys, it's a no-go for me -- I can't make June 1st work, and $290 is pretty steep. I would've most likely made the money situation work, but that weekend is a total no-go.

Have fun!

I took sdrives to my last track day.

Lost about 2/32s all around. Avg lap time of 2:30 on thunderhill. It seriously depends on the lines you take too. If you can lines that are with less of a steer into it. You'll wear less on your tires for sure. If you are not familiar with lines to begin with, you'll probably wear faster than others.

Brake pad wise. I have a 4 pot 2 pot wilwood set up with dba4000 on the fronts. Went with porterfield r4s pads. Probably took out a good 1/3 to 2/5s of the pad. Given, I came back into the pits with smoke coming out of them. Plenty of people go with stop tech streets and hps pads. If it's your first time. You will be just fine. Just do not push it past your limits.

Also to remember that your front pads and tires will wear much faster than your rears. Unless you are drifting around all the corners. If you are squeeling around the track a lot. It may be wise to rotate your tires half way through the day.

Not to be a downer, but I wanted to give a warning to the guys with no track experience and might be taking their daily drivers to the track. Be aware that there is a possibility that you might go off track. There could be small breakages like an endlink, flat tires or big breakages like a broken car. Have a plan on getting your car and yourself home from the track (AAA or other tow service) and the financial ability to repair and deal with any costs to repair your car.

I've had personal experience of flat tires, a broken axle, and two wrecked transmissions (1993 Impreza L transmissions definitely weren't built for taking power from a 2006 2.5 engine around the track, the legacy ones should fare much better). I've had friends with plenty of off road excursions that only resulted in similar small repairs, but I've also had a friend flip his s2k and another one get unlucky and dent his oil pan. He limped back into the paddock where we discovered the dent but he had already developed rod knock from oil starvation.

I personally believe anyone's street tires are best for beginner track sessions. They'll heat up quicker and start losing traction sooner (actually a good thing since you won't be going around a turn as quickly and it will help teach you be smoother with the car and won't let you get into hairy situations).

I'm all for some tire squeeling but yhour parroting some of my concerns. I'm not all that interested in door/bumper smacking my daily driver.

Is there any orientation class or test we need to take before getting unleashed onto the track after signing up? Club dues? Cause if it's just $290 and some wear and tear I may be interested in getting on the track for a few laps.

Not to be a downer, but I wanted to give a warning to the guys with no track experience and might be taking their daily drivers to the track. Be aware that there is a possibility that you might go off track. There could be small breakages like an endlink, flat tires or big breakages like a broken car. Have a plan on getting your car and yourself home from the track (AAA or other tow service) and the financial ability to repair and deal with any costs to repair your car.

I've had personal experience of flat tires, a broken axle, and two wrecked transmissions (1993 Impreza L transmissions definitely weren't built for taking power from a 2006 2.5 engine around the track, the legacy ones should fare much better). I've had friends with plenty of off road excursions that only resulted in similar small repairs, but I've also had a friend flip his s2k and another one get unlucky and dent his oil pan. He limped back into the paddock where we discovered the dent but he had already developed rod knock from oil starvation.

I personally believe anyone's street tires are best for beginner track sessions. They'll heat up quicker and start losing traction sooner (actually a good thing since you won't be going around a turn as quickly and it will help teach you be smoother with the car and won't let you get into hairy situations).

Alright, you have officially succeeded in making me buy a pack of Depends for the track meet.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Alright, you have officially succeeded in making me buy a pack of Depends for the track meet.

Just purge the night before and you'll be fine. :lol:

I'm all for some tire squeeling but yhour parroting some of my concerns. I'm not all that interested in door/bumper smacking my daily driver.

Is there any orientation class or test we need to take before getting unleashed onto the track after signing up? Club dues? Cause if it's just $290 and some wear and tear I may be interested in getting on the track for a few laps.

Go to the Speed Ventures website and read everything. There is an orientation/new driver class prior to on-track activities. For us noobs there will only be passing allowed, and by point-by only, on straights in the last 2 sessions of the day. The first 2 sessions will be lead-follow in 3 car groups with an instructor driving, and for a few extra bucks, you can have an instructor ride with you all day. The idea is not to crash into anything or anyone else, if you do, you will not be welcomed back again. You don't need to worry about fender to fender racing, we are not racing, just driving, no competition or ego with others abilities vs. yours, just internal education with yourself about being smooth to go fast and how to control your car within your skill level. No dues, just $290 for the day.

Haha, I don't want you guys to feel intimidated. At least among my group of friends (about 8-10 of us) that tend to make track days as group events, I think only one of the girlfriends have gone off track on their first event. Everyone else took it easier and didn't go off track until their second track day (must have gained some confidence).

I've never done a track day with this club, but there is usually a "drivers" meeting in the morning. Beginner drivers get either an "extended meeting" or a separate meeting altogether saying to take it easy and don't push too hard. Some events could have instructors in the car with you and some have "lead follow" sessions where you'll get broken down into groups where the beginners will follow an experienced driver around the track so you can start learning the corners and lines.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows what they could be getting themselves into. This isn't autox where the only casualty will probably be orange cones.

EDIT: Track days are great fun and I love going. However, there is a reason I picked up a track beater (1993 Impreza). I can AAA that guy home and fix it on my own time and hunt for deals on cheap parts. It also helps the psyche when people pass you since you're in a beater. And a great morale boost when you pass up some nice cars. Messing up your daily driver that you need to get to and from work is no bueno. I guess the good thing is you guys will be going with other members with some track experience. They can help you through the day. Don't forget to let your cars cool down and check your tires/brakes after each run.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows what they could be getting themselves into. This isn't autox where the only casualty will probably be orange cones.

Messing up your daily driver that you need to get to and from work is no bueno.

Yeah this is what's poking at me right now ( DD ). Factor in me being 1100 miles from home and the reconsider is leaning toward not driving. :(

Just because you plan to drive doesn't mean you have to drive at 10/10ths. In the beginner groups you can run at your own pace as long as you aren't going so slow it's a danger to others and you are pointing people by correctly.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Just because you plan to drive doesn't mean you have to drive at 10/10ths. In the beginner groups you can run at your own pace as long as you aren't going so slow it's a danger to others and you are pointing people by correctly.

Exactly, I usually don't go past 5k unless I have to pass someone. Power shifting is for hondas to catch up to us :)

I don't think anyone should be driving at 10/10? Unless you're extremely experienced, I think it is usually recommended to be at 8/10 to give you leeway as we're not robots and we want that buffer to where we go in a little faster, it won't mean 11/10.

Something I just thought of for all the new guys. Since there seems to be a lot of people going to hang out, having a passenger along is a GREAT help by helping you watch the flags, etc. Even better if they have some track experience.

Archived