LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised no one has mentioned the new gauges for the WRX - the three-dial/circle look is gone, and there is no more tach in the center. Plus, as an added bonus it now sports an MPG gauge front and center...

Capture.JPG.dca4d1988710a33390070ce474b30006.JPG

Hey goofy nuts, two different applications.

F1, 1 turn lock to lock

WRX, 2.8 turns lock to lock

:cool:

this. Love paddle shifters in outback. Surprisingly responsive and very useful especially in mountain driving where you have to brake with the engine a lot. It's all good until you have to turn the frickin' wheel. Go past half turn and you no longer know which is which and where it actually is.

Really people. No one is seriously going to be tracking a cvt wrx for this to be a factor!

Right, because no one expects a CVT WRX just like no one expects a Nissan GTR on a track because there's no manual option from Nissan for the Nissan GTR.

:rolleyes: There's no WAY right?

Okay. ;D Keep thinking that. If Subaru is manufacturing a WRX with a CVT to begin with you can expect at least one person is going to be taking one to the track and thus your statement is void outright. :spin:

Now you are comparing a WRX to a GTR? Reaching much? :spin:

When you pay upwards of 100k for a car you can complain all you want. The only reason subaru created an auto wrx is to appeal to the masses and sell more cars.

---

Not sure if this is correct. I read that Levorge 2.0 engine is able to produce close to 300 HP. Why is it that WRX 2.0 DIT only produce 265?

Aren't they the same engine as the 2.0 DIT in the Forester?

"

Japan also has higher octane than the US. I have read its about 95/96 octane (different rating system than the us). CA has 91 octane as the top octane (many states also only offer 92 octane) so US engines have to be tune for the lowest common denominator (thanks CA).

When I watched F&F Tokyo Drift I also learned that in Japan they like to drift a lot on mall parking lot ramps. I can see how the paddle shifters on the steering wheel may turn into a problem. :spin::lol:
---

Now you are comparing a WRX to a GTR? Reaching much? :spin:

When you pay upwards of 100k for a car you can complain all you want. The only reason subaru created an auto wrx is to appeal to the masses and sell more cars.

I'm comparing the HT-CVT to the DSG. Reading comprehension much? :spin:

I couldn't care less if you're trying to find a point to argue based on price difference. They're both vehicles, the WRX with the HT CVT transmission and Nissan GTR, without an manual transmission equipped. That's what I'm pointing out if it wasn't obvious to you.

When you decided to believe that just because a car like the WRX has a non-manual transmission option won't be taken to the track, you obviously haven't been on the track at all. :rolleyes:

But you're welcome to try to argue on. I'm just glad I've found another person who clearly has no issue with spewing out blatantly ignorant phrases such as "no one is seriously going to track [insert non-manual transmission car here]."

:rolleyes:

comparing concept of shifting gears not cars per se. If wrx comes with CVT it will be tracked. I have seen dudes in auto BMW wagons during track days so there. Hack my first track day was in wife's auto frickin civic. I have burned brakes in 10 minutes and that was the end of it ...buahahahah. Yes, auto/cvt crowd is a different crowd than manual people. I will pick a frickin manual kia rio before I jump into auto WRX That being said..... CVT is extremely efficient in shifting and I am talking here about lame subaru outback that I drive quite often. Yes there is some weird slip at times and I am sure a lot of parasitic loss BUT shift itself is great so It can only be better in new forester and WRX. There is a lot guys on nasioc praising CVT and yes I think they are either lame or lazy, or both...... but that doesn't change the fact that track days are getting very popular and there is going to be a lot of people taking all sorts of cars to the track. Also flame away but I think unless you are ripping through those gears like crazy in everyday driving CVT WRX will be much faster than manual. Unless there is some crazy parasitic loss in CVT itself, a lousy driver will beat seasoned enthusiast in 0-60 every frickin time. There I said it.

Also......CVT praising guys is the same crowd saying that 2.0 sucks because it surely must be slower than 2.5 ....despite all the data saying otherwise. It will be much faster with it's wide power band and hopefully decent tunning potential. There is going to be a lot of random people buying those cvt wrx's just because price was right and specs say it's faster than Johny's GTI. People glide on the surface of specification not really caring about steering ratio's, gearing and differentials. That kind of crowd will jump on WRX CVT.

I'm comparing the HT-CVT to the DSG. Reading comprehension much? :spin:

I couldn't care less if you're trying to find a point to argue based on price difference. They're both vehicles, the WRX with the HT CVT transmission and Nissan GTR, without an manual transmission equipped. That's what I'm pointing out if it wasn't obvious to you.

When you decided to believe that just because a car like the WRX has a non-manual transmission option won't be taken to the track, you obviously haven't been on the track at all. :rolleyes:

But you're welcome to try to argue on. I'm just glad I've found another person who clearly has no issue with spewing out blatantly ignorant phrases such as "no one is seriously going to track [insert non-manual transmission car here]."

:rolleyes:

Just because people do track auto cars it does not make them the best tool for the job. I have been to tracks and have seen plenty of different models of cars being tracked. Driving cars to their limits on a auto cross track is different than a full out speed drag race. Isn't tracking meant to connect you with the mechanics of a car? To properly learn heel and toe, rev matching? To learn how to smoothly enage and disengage the clutch in the most efficient manner while having fun?

IMHO an I don't care if anybody thinks I am ignorant but doing auto cross in an automatic car just robs you of the excitement of driving.

---

Japan also has higher octane than the US. I have read its about 95/96 octane (different rating system than the us).

Yes it is. Same for Europe. But do you know what 95/98/100 is equivalent to? Roughly 87/89/91 here. Like you said, different rating system and not a big difference between them. Does California ruin it for the rest of us? Maybe, but tuning differences don't necessarily come from octane differences.

Yes it is. Same for Europe. But do you know what 95/98/100 is equivalent to? Roughly 87/89/91 here. Like you said, different rating system and not a big difference between them. Does California ruin it for the rest of us? Maybe, but tuning differences don't necessarily come from octane differences.

that was discussed in detail before. Yes, different rating system, still better knock resistance overall with Japan having best fuel. I can see how 2.0 DIT in Japan can pull close to 300 just because better fuel. Here they have to accomodate for worst possible scenario meaning Cali 91. I am pretty sure they have to build in some room for morons putting 87 into turbo subarus. That's why stock tunes are so anemic

Just because people do track auto cars it does not make them the best tool for the job.

:rolleyes: Keep trying to argue pointless topics just to get the last laugh. It's putting a smile on my face seeing you try so hard. Now we're talking about "best tool for the job"?

Lololol, right.:rolleyes:

Edit: See below for my proof. LOLOLOL dodging the subject 101.

No offense but 95/98/100 isn't equivalent to 87/89/91

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Quote from Wikipedia.

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including Australia and all of those in Europe[citation needed], the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Pump Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

You must be pretty new among cars.

Door mounted mirrors were common during 70's and 80's

If you want bizarre - look at cars designed before the 60's and 70's. Some even had a periscope. Periscopes have been used later too, as on the Isdera Imperator.

Not that it would work on the new WRX, but I love the JDM Datsun fender mirrors from the late 60s / early 70s.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/body-paint-s30/65556d1377704638-black-chrome-fender-mirrors-34.png

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/bluebird_01/DSCN3942-2.jpg

Not to mention all the rotaries we have over here...

Rotaries are getting more popular in the U.S., at least where I live. I drive through 4 of them during my commute to work. It's the most fun part of my drive. If I have to yield to traffic and come to a stop before entering a rotary / circle, then I'm 1-2 shifting during the turn.

Surprised no one has mentioned the new gauges for the WRX - the three-dial/circle look is gone, and there is no more tach in the center. Plus, as an added bonus it now sports an MPG gauge front and center...

Essentially they are using the same base for the WRX as for other models to save money. That's what other manufacturers try to do too (no need to mention which here) and then they just change some minor cosmetic details to get brand and model uniqueness.

There are two reasons for this - instrument clusters are getting more and more complex by the day with stepper motors and processors, at the same time the manufacturers of instrument clusters "know" that when they have the foot in at a vehicle manufacturer they can put the price on every change to the item. "Oh, you want to change a detail, pay us $200k and we can start to think about it... Then we need another pile of money to actually do the change."

453747.png

No offense but 95/98/100 isn't equivalent to 87/89/91

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Quote from Wikipedia.

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including Australia and all of those in Europe[citation needed], the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Pump Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

In the end it comes down to different numbers where we in Europe presents the RON value and the US presents the average RON+MON value. The actual fuel is comparable on a chemical level, so go back to my old post here:

Since octane standards exists of different types I ran into the following table:

RON = Research Octane Test (Europe)

MON = Motor Octane Test

PON = Pump Octane Number (US)

RON          MON          PON
  90         83           86.6
  92         85           88.5
  95         87           91
  96         88           92
  98         90           94
 100         91.5         95.8
 105         95          100
 110         99          104.5

Enjoy!

B.t.w. here in Sweden we have the RON values 95 and 98 and sometimes 96.

MON numbers are used in Aviation Gasoline, so a 100LL is already off the chart above.

453747.png

Archived