LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

The video explains why Subaru has chosen to test it using the average of 3 modes. It is due the gov regulation of testing when using paddle shifters, multi-engine/transmission modes and power to weight ratio. I would guess that the XT doesn't match power to weight ratio requirement.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The video explains why Subaru has chosen to test it using the average of 3 modes. It is due the gov regulation of testing when using paddle shifters, multi-engine/transmission modes and power to weight ratio. I would guess that the XT doesn't match power to weight ratio requirement.

You only picked up on part of the equation. Because of those things, Subaru would have to prove a year down the road that WRX owners actually drive in I mode if it had decided to go with the better fuel economy numbers. Subaru wasn't willing to risk having to adjust mileage figures if Sport or Sport sharp proved more popular than I mode. With the XT defaulting to I mode regardless, Subaru was probably pretty confident that XT owners will mostly drive in I mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't feel like regurgitating everything in the video about fuel economy. If your going to call me out for that, I atleast watched the video and didn't make an incorrect statement about the wrx defaulting to sport mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I couldn't stay away from Subaru performance cars. Replaced my Legacy 3.6R with the Crosstrek after less then a year in that I ordered a 2015 WRX and took delivery end of last month. I love this thing!

10449181_10152288838909541_3740804043182208058_n.jpg.41896375e1e07d82673d06e958b249c5.jpg

Doing a little interpolation math for the 2015 WRX.

Using a stock STi (219hp) vs your brothers (183.6hp) stock CVT on the same Dyno and comparing it to Road and Track 6MT WRX 223hp and STi 247hp.

I came up with the 6MT WRX has about ~15 more HP than the CVT from less drivetrain losses. Anyways it works out almost 6% additional driveline loss from the CVT. Obviously this is just one example that I am deriving from interpolation, as more WRX are dyno'd and CVT and MT are dyno on the same facility, this will become clearer.

Thanks dgoodhue, that makes sense to me.

The 2015 STI on the same Dyno Dynamics rollers where we tuned the WRX put down the 219whp you mention.

Assuming it makes close to the advertised bhp, that's ~27-28% loss on that dyno.

Now, mind you, this is not all drivetrain loss, some just stems from the load bearing, inertia dyno itself.

So lets say the WRX CVT takes an extra 5-6% penalty hit.

peak 206whp -> 32% loss -> 303hp @ crank

average mid-range torque of 210-220ft-lbf -> 308-323ft-lbf (418-438Nm) @ crank

Effectively stock JDM WRX S4 (also CVT) or JDM Legacy DIT #s, which makes sense.

Well I couldn't stay away from Subaru performance cars. Replaced my Legacy 3.6R with the Crosstrek after less then a year in that I ordered a 2015 WRX and took delivery end of last month. I love this thing!

How long did it take to get yours?

Of course the JDM spec WRX STI (not to be mistaken with the WRX S4) gets a few external parts to set it apart from non-JDM watered down versions:

1. Levorq-like DRL LEDs in between the fogs/turn signals

2. Satin silver mirror covers with blind spot warning lights

3. Thicker front lip

4. Same mesh grill as JDM WRX S4 and EDM WRX STI

IMG_240164653341370_resized.jpg.ceaabae944486dd42136e4718136d2aa.jpg

IMG_240164653341372_resized.jpg.8ba15723fa5711ab04f347258bda74f5.jpg

Most should, some require a bit more TLC. For example, the rear fog assembly on the 2015s is not a 100% PnP. Their fogs are also different with a secondary socket for a small DRL bulb; headlights have no DRL function. The LED strip on the fog/turn signal bezel also won't plug right in - the harness needed for them is missing on USDM car. And the headlight washers that come integrated into the front bumper cover, wouldn't be functional out of the box on a USDM car. Just the tip of the iceberg.

Archived