LegacyGT.com

New Short Block Time...

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you guys that pre-mount your turbo and tmic have any issues getting the engine in the car? i needed to remove my tmic to get to the rear attachment hook for the hoist. then i tried to leave the turbo attached to the engine, but it interfered with the bellhousing when i tried to get the engine in place. had to remove the turbo too, then it all fell into place. my turbo is a bnr16g though, don't know if that matters.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Yeah, TMIC will be coming back off before I drop the engine in, the idea is to avoid having to futz with the turbo placement/clocking once the things in the car. Should be able to drop the intercooler on now that it's all set up.

I don't recall having any issues with the turbo though. Mine's a BNR too.

I'm leaving my turbo loose on the UP, so I can get the transmission by it on the reinstall.

Nice - that's the perfect compromise :)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I'm hoping that I can install the GS TMIC bracketry before I reinstall the engine. Haven't looked at it since the delivery inspection, so don't recall how/where things bolt-up.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Let me make the mistakes so you don't have to...

1. Drop the engine in the bay, and then remember you needed to check the spark plugs and push the TOB and fork back.

2. Jack the tranny up so high that one of the CV axles comes apart.

3. Finally mate the engine and transmission, then wonder why the whole works is about an inch too far forward. Disconnect pitch stop.

Nothing big though, and the end result was progress. :)

http://i.imgur.com/dbn5pD5.jpg

Thanks! I suppose I could update the thread here...

I did finish up on Saturday! Everything went pretty well, but there are a couple things I want to follow up on.

The spare midpipe I bought fits like crap. The flanges are off like 10 degrees, and leak like crazy. When I did finally get it bolted together, the downpipe isn't hanging on the hanger right. I need to weld the crack in my old one and put that back in.

P/S pump leaks, I suspect the o-ring and already have a replacement.

Primed the oil with my Underdog Oil System Priming Tank. Cranked it over a bunch without fuel just to be sure I had oil everywhere. Pulled the turbo banjo bolt just to be extra extra sure. :lol:

Turned the power back on for the fuel pump and cycled the key a bunch to prime the fuel and it fired right up after a couple cranks. :D

No CELs, BUT, it's a little noisier than I expected. had 95# of oil pressure when it started, but settled down to ~22# at idle after I took it around the block. Is that a little low?

I think I'm going to have some mechanic buddies come have a listen before I do anything else, but I'm guessing maybe I need to re-lash the valves? We'll see.

So not 100% good news, but not bad overall.

*note - mileage was 94539

CP pistons. I went and started it over lunch and it sounded quieter. I took a very brief video (phone is constantly full :spin:) that I'll upload.

I didn't let it run that long. I just picked up a gallon of distilled water over lunch so I can finish filling the cooling system. I do have a question though - when I went to shut it off after running maybe 3 minutes, the temp gauge was pegged. So I checked the coolant temp with the AccessPort and it said 88 degrees. :confused:

Piston slap? I have CP pistons too and on cold mornings it sounds like a diesel truck. After it's fully warmed up the pistons have expanded and the sound goes away.

Check the coolant sensor, I read another member had the same issue after he installed his motor. I'll try to search for that thread.

My wife's balls are delicious.

could also be an air pocket - maybe top off the coolant and try again?

The vid doesn't sound particularly worrisome. A new engine usually sounds a little "off" on the maiden warm-up.

Pegged hot and 88 deg definitely sounds like an air pocket. Fill the rad and cap it. Fill the turbo res and squeeze the upper rad hose to help burp the system. Start the car, let it warm up until the upper res starts to overflow and cap it. Make sure the overflow tank is filled to the full line, and let the car cool down. It will draw coolant back in as the system cools. If the overflow tank runs dry then the system may draw in air.

My start-up procedure is generally as follows:

Prime system with Joe Gibbs BR30 break-in oil and OEM filter.

20 minute warm up with direct oil and fuel pressure monitoring, and watching vitals via RR on my laptop.

Cool down - oil and filter change. Cut open filter and inspect for debris. Inspect engine bay for leaks. Replace with JG BR30 and OEM filter. If oil and fuel pressures were good then the mechanical gauges are removed.

10 minute warm up and test drive (~10 miles).

Inspect engine bay, install undertray, A/C belt, engine cover, etc.

Drive 100 miles before dumping the break-in oil for conventional 5W-30. Cut open second filter and inspect. Replace with OEM or Tokyo Roki.

Next oil change at 1k miles with pre-tune check-up. Switch to synthetic (if desired) at 4k or 7k miles.

Adding water and squeezing the top rad hose took care of the goofy temp issue. I drove it a couple more miles and changed the oil. I cut open the filter and there seems to be quite a bit of stuff in there. :redface:

I'll get a pic later.

Archived