LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I've decided to go with the Tru Cool 4452 but I am undecided now about something else. I am going Stage 2 but before I do that I want to add the cooler first. I had the tranny flushed at 35K miles and refilled with Subaru OEM fluid and also replaced the filter. Should I reflush now at 55k miles and do the BG flush, or just add the BG additive along with the cooler? What do you guys think? I don't drive the car hard and I don't torque brake but after I do all this I might just occasionally do a shy "gentle" one at most 2k rpm. Hopefully once I get my catless Autospeed UP in I won't have to.

This might actually come off as a stupid question but there are absolutely no issues with installing a TruCool 4452 vertically, right? I tried google, didn't help. What's the official website for these guys, I might wanna ask them directly.

no problem whatsoever mounting it vertically. I have the 4454 which is larger and had no issues. The are the same size lengthwise so if you mounted it vertically there would be no difference. The 4454 is larger heightwise so if you mounted it vertically, it would take up more space L-R in front of the radiator.

Well, I've decided to go with the Tru Cool 4452 but I am undecided now about something else. I am going Stage 2 but before I do that I want to add the cooler first. I had the tranny flushed at 35K miles and refilled with Subaru OEM fluid and also replaced the filter. Should I reflush now at 55k miles and do the BG flush, or just add the BG additive along with the cooler? What do you guys think? I don't drive the car hard and I don't torque brake but after I do all this I might just occasionally do a shy "gentle" one at most 2k rpm. Hopefully once I get my catless Autospeed UP in I won't have to.

I have had my tranny fluid flushed at 15K and 30K. I added the BG additive.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i have a question. I just bought the 4451. Do you think the 4553 is a big difference? i';m kind of thinking twice about installing the 4451 and pickup the 4553. But regardless having a tranny cooler is better then not having one right? Do you think the 4451 is enough for stage 2? Sorry for all the questions.

You know, I'm with you on this one. I thought the 4451 would be kinda small so I went with the 4452 and I'm STILL thinking I should have gone a bit bigger, this thing is smaller than I expected. But I think the fact that a 4452 or 4453 is positioned top-down to begin with will ensure better airflow than the 4451.

I ended up going with the 4454. So far so good. However in the beginning i was getting a leak but that was due to not tightening the o clamp or atleast i believe thats why. I saw my fluid is a little on the low side but that could be since its also running a bit cooler and the added area of the tranny cooler.

I will fill it a bit more tomorrow and see.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I ended up going with the 4454. So far so good. However in the beginning i was getting a leak but that was due to not tightening the o clamp or atleast i believe thats why. I saw my fluid is a little on the low side but that could be since its also running a bit cooler and the added area of the tranny cooler.

I will fill it a bit more tomorrow and see.

Did you instal in vertical or parallel?

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I just my 4454 installed today and it was not so smooth but okay...

I installed mine as Jim_KT did and I just used what they provided. The connector was little bigger and I managed to do it.

The one thing interesting is I added about 1/3 qt of fluid to get the fluid level barely higher than Low_Hot line, actually a hole.... I use 10ml pipet to add and it was PITA. Somebody said no addition and somebody said a little... I'm not sure my case is normal..

I checked the leak several times only to find nothing... I touched the cooler and I think it's pretty hot as someone already said, as hot as metal surface on a hot day.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

• 1 month later...
I did my install over the weekend, and it was surprisingly painless. The hardest part was getting the hose off of the return line - that little guy took a good 20-30 minutes of pulling before he decided to come off. I lost a little fluid, but the dipstick is showing on the high side of the gauge, so I let it be. The 4454 is a tight fit, but t0ad's pictures a few pages back show how I put it in. I thought about mounting it in the center, but decided I didn't want to risk having to go get more tubing.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

had my 4454 installed by the dealer a few weeks ago, along w/ a drain/refill + bg atc+. was told the trans filter is a 'lifetime' part so they didnt swap that out despite my suggestion they do. anyways, car is shifting nicely; noticeable improvement.

• 3 weeks later...
Can't find a better place to post this and don't want to start a new thread ...

Tips on installing a temp gauge and what temp gauge to go with?

Good question! Now that I'm off for a few days, I'm thinking of doing the transmission cooler.. Might as well put a gauge in there too..

Anyone?

HV

• 4 weeks later...

To answer the question I posted, I went with Prosport gauges.

I got to thinking today ...

If the operating temperature of the coolant is higher, sitting at around 186 and sometimes going up to 200-210, wouldn't that bring up the temperature in the tranny cooler too, since it sits flush against it?

Is my logic flawed?

• 2 weeks later...
got the tru cool 4452. lots of stuff in the bag that it comes with. all i will be using is the 4 padding squares, 4 clamps, 4 zip ties, and the 4 zip tie insert things. do i need to use any of the splices or screws, nuts and washers that come in the bag?

To answer the question I posted, I went with Prosport gauges.

I got to thinking today ...

If the operating temperature of the coolant is higher, sitting at around 186 and sometimes going up to 200-210, wouldn't that bring up the temperature in the tranny cooler too, since it sits flush against it?

Is my logic flawed?

Good question. I don't think 200-210 is terrible. I think even up to 250 is ok. But once the tranny fluid goes 250-300 it is not good from what I have heard.

• 4 weeks later...

I just did the install today but the brass part where you connect the return line from radiator and the top of the cooler was leaking really bad.

Do you guys know if auto parts stores carry the brass connection for 3/8 hoses?

Archived