LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oldddd thread. But is it the consenus that the hayden 677 is the best tranny cooler (in terms of fit and performance).

Does anyone have a temp gauge and has actually seen how much of a temp change there is before and after installing the TC?

I'm slightly confused whats the difference in the 677 and 1677?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYDEN-677-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-20-000-GVW-1677-race_W0QQitemZ320080330269QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320012025085&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=320080330269&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

The #677 and #1677 are two versions of the same tranny cooler. You can see a 40-50 degree drop depending on the cooler you use.

The descriptions read the same for both the 1677 and the 677. Is the heavy duty one worth 150 more?

Does anybody know if the 678 fits pretty well. I don't think I need to go any bigger.

The descriptions read the same for both the 1677 and the 677. Is the heavy duty one worth 150 more?

Does anybody know if the 678 fits pretty well. I don't think I need to go any bigger.

That second link is for a case of six #1677 transmission coolers, not a single #677 cooler. The 1677 and 677 are the same. The 676/1676 will fit with the long axis horizontal while I think you would have to mount the taller 678/1678 with the long axis vertical as shown it the pdf linked in post #1.

This is because of a vertical brace in front of the radiator. The gap between the back of this brace and the front of the radiator narrows as you go up from bottom to top. With the smaller coolers the gap is wide enough for it to fit in between (as long as you go with one that is 3/4" deep and not 1 1/2"). With the taller (and/or thicker) ones that gap narrows to less than the thickness of the cooler so it has to be mounted with the long axis up and down.

You might want to consider the Tru-Cool 4451, 4452, 4454. They have a feature that prevents excessive trans fluid pressure drop when cold by bypassing the cooler until the fluid warms up (link to brochure). The exact same units are also also sold under the B&M brand as the SuperCooler line.

Stacked plate type of coolers are less prone to damage from debris than tube and fin.

That second link is for a case of six #1677 transmission coolers, not a single #677 cooler. The 1677 and 677 are the same. The 676/1676 will fit with the long axis horizontal while I think you would have to mount the taller 678/1678 with the long axis vertical as shown it the pdf linked in post #1.

You might want to consider the Tru-Cool 4451, 4452, 4454. They have a feature that prevents excessive trans fluid pressure drop when cold by bypassing the cooler until the fluid warms up (link to brochure). The exact same units are also also sold under the B&M brand as the SuperCooler line.

Stacked plate type of coolers are less prone to damage from debris than tube and fin.

Wish you'd posted this a week ago.. I just ordered a 1677. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be much better than nothing (once I install it, obviously :icon_mrgr..

HV

Wish you'd posted this a week ago.. I just ordered a 1677. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be much better than nothing (once I install it, obviously :icon_mrgr..

HV

I'd think for a place like where you are that doesn't get the extreme cold temperatures the lack of this "Low Pressure Drop" design wouldn't be much of a concern. Now in places where it gets well below freezing, and sometimes well below zero, this feature is a nice safeguard against low pressures until the fluid has a chance to warm and thin a bit.

So the Tru-Cool 4451, 4452, 4454 is better for places that can see temps below freezing. Which model fits best?

Here's how they describe their bypass feature:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/Tru-Cool.gif

All three models will fit. The smallest 4451 will fit horizontally at the bottom the radiator, while the 4452 and 4454 will

need to be mounted in a vertical fashion as shown below. This is fine as they function in any orientation.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/ATFcooler.jpg

I'd think for a place like where you are that doesn't get the extreme cold temperatures the lack of this "Low Pressure Drop" design wouldn't be much of a concern. Now in places where it gets well below freezing, and sometimes well below zero, this feature is a nice safeguard against low pressures until the fluid has a chance to warm and thin a bit.

Yeah, after thinking about it for a bit, I came to the same conclusion..

Still having to remember: "I live in California now. No more Canadian winters. :icon_mrgr"

Although I am DYING to try my ride in the snow...

HV

The low pressure drop system is nice. In blacksburg during the winter the temps are usually 30 or below. Back at home it reachs 90+. Would the tru-cool system be just as effective in the hotter climate also.

I presume that the largest model would be the best 4454. How's the install, it looks like good fitment from the photo.

Next up is a temp gauge for the tranny fluid :)

The low pressure drop system is nice. In blacksburg during the winter the temps are usually 30 or below. Back at home it reachs 90+. Would the tru-cool system be just as effective in the hotter climate also.

I presume that the largest model would be the best 4454. How's the install, it looks like good fitment from the photo.

Next up is a temp gauge for the tranny fluid :)

Once the ATF is warm enough to freely flow then it circulates through the whole cooler, so the "LPD" design doesn't impede the cooling ability. The picture of the installed cooler was lifted from the the walk-through pdf linked to in the original post, and is a Hayden 1676 (overall size 5 7/8 x 11 x 3/4).

Even though its not the tru-cooler in the picture would it look about the same? Would the LPD really be a plus if you are in cold weather, or should i just stick with the hayden?

Price is the same or close between the two brands. To me, the low pressure drop design adds protection for when your ATF is really cold without reducing the unit's capacity to remove heat for when the ATF is hot.

Here's my Tru-Cool 4451. View is through lower bumper opening, driver's side.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/Tru-Cool4451.jpg

Hmm, some websites claim the Tru-Cool 4454 uses 11/32" barbs instead of 3/8". That doesn't make sense for the larger model to use smaller fittings .. ah well, I ordered one .. I'll make it fit one way or another.

Is there any reason you went with the 4451 over the bigger ones?
Seemed like it was all that was necessary. I don't tow, seldom more that 1 passenger, rarely haul a heavy load, and almost never do a brake-torque launch (twice in 20k miles).

Well I got my Trucool 4454 today, looks good. It's fittings are indeed 11/32" though .. what's the size of the stock transmission hoses? Seems like it's hard to find an 11/32" barbed splicer, I guess that's why the OP just shoved a larger 3/8" one in? Might put it on this weekend if I don't freeze to death.

I wonder how much fluid comes out of the lines when you disconnect the stocker..

Well I got my Trucool 4454 today, looks good. It's fittings are indeed 11/32" though .. what's the size of the stock transmission hoses? Seems like it's hard to find an 11/32" barbed splicer, I guess that's why the OP just shoved a larger 3/8" one in? Might put it on this weekend if I don't freeze to death.

I wonder how much fluid comes out of the lines when you disconnect the stocker..

please post up a pic of it installed before you put the grille back on.

Archived