LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any idea if I could use the car if I did the install without adding fluid?

I forgot to get some last week and had it planned for today. I have the Hays 677 which ain't that big. (Med size if I recall.)

Depending what you classify as "use", but if it's daily driving, I wouldn't. Adding together the volume of the extra hosing, and the cooler itself, you'd be removing (redistributing) 1/2-3/4 quart, maybe more, from the transmission pan. Autoboxes need all the cooling/operating fluid they can get. YMMV.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well, I installed it and managed to nick the AC Condenser. Now I have to look for a repair place that will weld that little nick cuz if not, I have to shell out like 140. for a replacement cuz I'm not getting the 250.+ for an OEM one.

also, didn't find my long funnel to top off the fluid so I'm in the minivan on my way to get one.

Well, I installed it and managed to nick the AC Condenser. Now I have to look for a repair place that will weld that little nick cuz if not, I have to shell out like 140. for a replacement cuz I'm not getting the 250.+ for an OEM one.

also, didn't find my long funnel to top off the fluid so I'm in the minivan on my way to get one.

Leo - sorry about that - that suxors man - and then, once you get it reinstalled, you have to fully recharge the AC system which won't be cheap. That was an expensive upgrade. :redface:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
Ok guys, I need some advice . . . I went stage 2 two weeks ago and I'm definitely going to buy a trans cooler. You could say I run my car hard, but do not abuse it. (no loaded launches / N-D drops) I live in PA, so temperatures between 15-100 degrees are seen throughout the year. Which cooler do you recommend and why? I would prefer something easy to install if that's not asking too much. :) Thanks!

I used a B&M cooler and installed it just like JIM on this page http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17293&page=7&highlight=transmission+cooler

Its a perfect place to install it and it does not touch the other rad so it works at optimal performance

You will need to buy some more hose and clamps and some assorted nuts and bolts and don't forget to get extra fluid

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I just read this entire thread on trans coolers and didn't once see the mention of a remote oil thermost. There is such a thing as overcooled ATF. ATF runs optimally at a range between 180-210 degrees. Above 210 and especially into 230+ ATF starts to degrade. I have had a cooler on previous applications and a 180F oil thermostat should be on everybodies list if you are doing an install. If you over cool it to even 160F it starts to severely effect the flow characterisics of the ATF and will cause more harm than good. The design on the Tru-Cool with the bypass is nice but I wouldn't trust something as important as trans temps with just that.

Sadly this will add about 90 bucks to the project which I know removes it from the "cheap insurance" catagory but I figured I would toss in my 2 cents on the topic. I just bought my new to me LGT Limited and will be doing a trans cooler install with thermostat in the next couple weeks. I will be sure to put up some pics :D

"Thicker oil that is below the ideal operating temperature bypasses the cooler through the upper two plates. When the temperature rises, it becomes thin enough to pass through the entire cooler. TRU-COOL's superior heat transfer is efficient & automatic."

I didn't think a thermostat would be needed.

"Thicker oil that is below the ideal operating temperature bypasses the cooler through the upper two plates. When the temperature rises, it becomes thin enough to pass through the entire cooler. TRU-COOL's superior heat transfer is efficient & automatic."

I didn't think a thermostat would be needed.

all it uses is a basic orifice bypass, I like the concept, but lack the trust in its ability to maintain a constant temperature like a dedicate thermostat. People running the Hayden should def. be looking into a thermostat as it is just a straight cooler.

• 4 weeks later...
all it uses is a basic orifice bypass, I like the concept, but lack the trust in its ability to maintain a constant temperature like a dedicate thermostat. People running the Hayden should def. be looking into a thermostat as it is just a straight cooler.

This is old, already posted info, but may be new to some people on this thread:

B&M Transmission Thermostat http://www.coximport.com/b_&_m/BMR-70259

"B&M’s Remote Engine Oil Thermostat will help maintain proper oil temperatures required in today’s high performance vehicles outfitted with auxiliary oil coolers. A must for street driven vehicles. When oil temperature is below 180o F, the valve bypasses 90% of the oil, allowing 10% to flow through the cooler to prevent possible air pockets. Above 180o F, the valve opens fully and flows 90% through the cooler."

My other bit of old information is that you should consider having your thermostat go into the drain pan plug bung instead of the external cooler lines, as I heard someone say that is where the temperature is more representative of the system temp.

It's senseless to go WOT if you aren't pretty certain that your ATF temp is in a safe range. I consider it way more important than an oil temp or oil pressure gauge, because our engines self regulate pretty well in reasonable conditions (not talking about track), and warm up to operating temp before the 5eat does.

Also for what it's worth, I switched to Amsoil ATF, and love it and recommend it. Based on a decent knowledge of synthetic automotive lubricants, I'm confident it is a good product for our transmission situation (though I do not know to what extent it may benefit over Subi ATF). Amsoil is not the kind of company to be wrong about its use on our cars (those guys are real data junkies, and didn't just make up the fact that it's now compatible for our 5EAT).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That B&M thermostat is also cheaper elsewhere online, but I see no reason why Long's temp regulation feature wouldn't be good enough (note didn't say as good or as accurate as the B&M).

Edit: Oh and IPT only sells Long Tru-Cool coolers, last time I checked. Those guys are a bit obsessive (in the way you would want for your car).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Can anyone confirm the size of the 5EAT Transmission Drain Plug (thread size)?

At a glance, I thought it may be smaller than the M20x1.5 engine oil drain plug, but can't find anything online verifying it either way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The instructions need to be revised!!!! Step 9 and 10. Do not reuse the factory clamp. It will leak. I suggest niot using any of the worm clamps since the need constant tightening. EFI clamps this style

http://legacygt.com/forums/Image1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived